Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 09:07 PM

52,259 posts, read 52,668,250 times

Advertisements

When I was probably around 16 or 17 I met Gene Simmons. Here in LA there used to be one of the best hard rock radio stations that ever was, 105.5 KNAC. They used to do interviews once in a while with musicians and whenever they did back in the day we'd go to the station and wait for them to finish and when they left the building we'd get autographs from them. I remember a boatload of them, Lars jumps out at me, Ozzy, Bruce Dickinson and a few others of course. Usually there would always be about 20 or so people that would show up at the radio station in Long Beach and wait for who ever it was to get off air and meet with them as they left.

One time Gene Simmons was on air and me and my GF at the time we decided to head down to the station we were just kids at the time, we get there and there was only just a couple of people there and when Gene Simmons was off air he came out and talked to all of us and was really pretty cool. The other people left and it was just Gene and me and my GF and he sat there and talked to us for probably about 15 minutes. I was just blown away. There wasn't any press or fanfare just the three of us and we talked about bands and our love of music and all.

Gene Simmons gets a bad rap at times and he has said a lot of stupid stuff over the years but I will always remember that conversation that we had 30 yrs ago. He took the time to actually talk to his fans when he could have just blown us off.

Does anyone else have a story about meeting one of their favorite rock stars and if so did it turn out well. I've heard stories over the years of people being completely let down by how much of A holes some people turned out to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2016, 09:34 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,929,392 times
I've met a lot of famous people like movie stars, rock stars, writers & big time producer/directors while appraising their homes and, for the most part, they were all very nice normal people when you get them away from the bright lights. It's kinda weird seeing someone you've only ever seen in the movies sitting in their kitchen eating yogurt. I've had to train myself not to get too gushy around them being that I'm easily star-struck. The only rock stars I remember doing were Nikki Sixx, Pink & some guy from Tom Petty's band. The coolest thing about the rock stars is their home studios, they're insane.

Old 08-21-2016, 08:00 AM

24,298 posts, read 13,141,152 times
A friend of mine worked at the general aviation terminal at Phoenix Sky Harbor airport, and he told me that the Rolling Stones had flown in for their Tattoo You tour, and if I saw the end of the show's fireworks to come on by. I did just that, and maybe 20 minutes after I got to the terminal the Stones walked in. Mick Jagger walked right up to Chris, my friend, who had been a bass player in a band (I was too, in HS, but I sucked badly at it... our whole band did) and chatted with us as if we were his best buds. Very down-to-earth guy, I was quite impressed by his diction and vocabulary... no "uhhhs" or "ya knows" or "like" or especially "uhh, like, ya know". We (Chris and I) both wanted to talk with Bill Wyman about the bass but he was occupied; Keith Richards came in and looked very unlike what I was expecting, he was energetic and healthy-looking. In any case, Mick chatted with us for maybe ten minutes before they had to get on the aircraft which was to take them to the next venue in Kansas City.

Old 08-22-2016, 09:03 AM

18,216 posts, read 25,854,577 times
Default Had a few experiences-am lucky!

People, let's get this subject back on topic, OK?

I lived in the Denver area for a few decades. Went to dozens of concerts, particularly at Red Rocks. Been a Moody Blues fan for decades. Was very fortunate to be able to secure backstage passes for their November 16,1986 concert. They were touring off their "The Other Side Of Life" release. It was a great show, and got to shake hands with the band members. Had a 10 minute conversation with bass player John Lodge, probably my favorite member of the band. Very personable, as nice a guy as you'd ever want to meet!

The name Bias Boshell probably doesn't ring a bell with anyone reading this, but he was/is a respected session keyboardist out of the UK. His recent work was handling the mellotron for a noted British progressive band--Barclay James Harvest. Got to talk to him as well. I remember him being real surprised about me knowing so much about that band.

That was the first Moodies tour where they ran two keyboardists on stage, former member of the group "Yes" member Patrick Moraz being the other one. Was able to see them backstage a couple more times since.

Old 08-22-2016, 10:43 AM

Moderator cut: orphaned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
People, let's get this subject back on topic, OK?

I lived in the Denver area for a few decades. Went to dozens of concerts, particularly at Red Rocks. Been a Moody Blues fan for decades. Was very fortunate to be able to secure backstage passes for their November 16,1986 concert. They were touring off their "The Other Side Of Life" release. It was a great show, and got to shake hands with the band members. Had a 10 minute conversation with bass player John Lodge, probably my favorite member of the band. Very personable, as nice a guy as you'd ever want to meet!

The name Bias Boshell probably doesn't ring a bell with anyone reading this, but he was/is a respected session keyboardist out of the UK. His recent work was handling the mellotron for a noted British progressive band--Barclay James Harvest. Got to talk to him as well. I remember him being real surprised about me knowing so much about that band.

That was the first Moodies tour where they ran two keyboardists on stage, former member of the group "Yes" member Patrick Moraz being the other one. Was able to see them backstage a couple more times since.
Cool story, thanks for contributing to my dog of a thread.

Last edited by Yac; 08-23-2016 at 01:31 AM..

Old 08-22-2016, 10:48 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,526,311 times
Back in the summer of 2003 my wife (then GF at the time) and I went to NYC to visit family. At the LaGuardia airport while I was waiting on my luggage I spotted this very familiar guy with light-colored hair, and a very fashionable suit; when I got closer I noticed there was this other guy wearing a suit that looked Hispanic, so at that point I realized they were Paul Banks and Carlos Dengler from the band Interpol. A third guy shows up with a suitcase that said Interpol in it. Is funny, because during that time I was so into that band, and they were from NYC, and I was obsessed with that city as well (I think I visited NYC every summer during my college years), so everything made perfect sense. I was a student at the time, so I didn’t have any digital cameras, and camera phones were not really a thing then, or if they were I couldn’t afford one. So I walk to Paul Banks and just say, “I love your band, and I hope to see you guys in concert soon”. Paul says, “What’s your favorite song?”, and I say, “Stella Was a Diver and She Was Always Down"…And he says, “Good choice”…my GF gets a piece of paper, and they all signed it. Picture of the piece of paper attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Meeting a rock star.-fullsizerender.jpg  

Old 08-22-2016, 11:02 AM

10,233 posts, read 6,317,831 times
Ancient history, but I lived in Greenwich Village back in the 60's. I worked in some of the clubs then. Met a number of them either performing, jamming, or just hanging out there. They ranged from very nice to very weird.

The younger generation probably wouldn't know any of them except for maybe Hendrix, Doors, and Billy Joel.

Old 08-22-2016, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey mouse is dead View Post
Back in the summer of 2003 my wife (then GF at the time) and I went to NYC to visit family. At the LaGuardia airport while I was waiting on my luggage I spotted this very familiar guy with light-colored hair, and a very fashionable suit; when I got closer I noticed there was this other guy wearing a suit that looked Hispanic, so at that point I realized they were Paul Banks and Carlos Dengler from the band Interpol. A third guy shows up with a suitcase that said Interpol in it. Is funny, because during that time I was so into that band, and they were from NYC, and I was obsessed with that city as well (I think I visited NYC every summer during my college years), so everything made perfect sense. I was a student at the time, so I didn’t have any digital cameras, and camera phones were not really a thing then, or if they were I couldn’t afford one. So I walk to Paul Banks and just say, “I love your band, and I hope to see you guys in concert soon”. Paul says, “What’s your favorite song?”, and I say, “Stella Was a Diver and She Was Always Down"…And he says, “Good choice”…my GF gets a piece of paper, and they all signed it. Picture of the piece of paper attached.
That's a cool story. So far just good stories. I like that. I have heard of like I said in the OP that some people can be real jerks. IDK, I give famous people a break to a degree. I wouldn't wanna be famous and have people come up to me. That would get old really quick.

Old 08-22-2016, 11:16 AM

24,298 posts, read 13,141,152 times
Philadelphia Airport, 2002, flying home after attending a friend's wedding. I had gone to look at something while my wife waited for our flight at the gate, and when I came back she was in an animated conversation with some guy who'd sat down next to her. He was waiting for the rest of his group and had sat at the wrong gate. He looked very familiar as I was about to sit down, and she said, "You'll like to talk with this guy, you probably know his music." Know it well, it was Mr. George Thorogood. I'd always heard he was a good guy in public, and "they", whoever they are, were completely right. Great dude. A couple minutes later he had to go, but that was pretty neat.

Old 08-22-2016, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Ancient history, but I lived in Greenwich Village back in the 60's. I worked in some of the clubs then. Met a number of them either performing, jamming, or just hanging out there. They ranged from very nice to very weird.

The younger generation probably wouldn't know any of them except for maybe Hendrix, Doors, and Billy Joel.
Good stuff.

"Worked in some of the clubs" What kind of work was that, just curious??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music