U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-09-2008, 08:20 AM

2,663 posts, read 3,603,764 times
I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet:

"America" by Yes, covering the Simon & Garfunkel version.

They took a little three-minute pop ditty and turned it into an 10-minute epic blending country and prog-rock, if you can imagine that. The guitar solo just oozes down-home Americana. Makes you want to roll the windows down in your car and zoom through the open countryside.

Check the studio version at about 1:44. The bass line turns into the melody from the "West Side Story" song "America." Very clever.

Studio version:
YouTube - America-Yes
Miming in the studio, early '70s:
YouTube - America-Yes
Pretty good live version:
YouTube - America - Yes
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 11:10 AM

35,625 posts, read 53,213,124 times
Ah yes, thank you for reminding me of why I can't stand Yes.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:02 PM

2,663 posts, read 3,603,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Ah yes, thank you for reminding me of why I can't stand Yes.

Your loss, man.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:31 PM

1,556 posts, read 1,507,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoAdrian View Post
I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet:

"America" by Yes, covering the Simon & Garfunkel version.
I'm with you on this one.

BEST:

I have never been a Bright Eyes fan but when the Dutch band Bettie Serveert covered Lover I Don't Have To Love it just goes to show that a good cover can improve a song immensely, even if you can't get past the pop feel of it when the song was popular.

The Blue Cheer remake of Summertime Blues by Eddie Cochran is the best version I ever heard, including The Who's.

Mojo Nixon's cover of Girlfriend In A Coma (The Smiths) is downright hilarious.

Royal Crescent Mob's cover of Mama Said Knock You Out (some rapper) totally rocks.

Frank Black's cover of Hang On To Your Ego (Beach Boys)

WORST:

Limp Bizkit's cover of Faith(George Michael) not that the original was worth anything. Their cover of Behind Blue Eyes sucked too.

Guns and Roses doing Knocking On Heaven's Door made me want to puke. Sounded like screeching, yowling cats. Then again, everything that Axl sang evoked images of screeching, yowling cats.

Micheal Buble's cover of Muse's Feeling Good makes me want to puke out of every pore I have.

Iron And Wine doing Such Great Heights (Postal Service)

Fall Out Boi doing Beat It (someone who is not like other guys)

Old 04-09-2008, 08:05 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,008,607 times
I don't remember if it was mentioned, but Whitney Houston did a good job with the cover of Dolly Parton's I Will Always Love You.
Faith Hill also did an awesome cover of Janis Joplin's Piece of My Heart.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:42 PM

52 posts, read 135,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
I don't remember if it was mentioned, but Whitney Houston did a good job with the cover of Dolly Parton's I Will Always Love You.
Faith Hill also did an awesome cover of Janis Joplin's Piece of My Heart.
NO NO NO! She absolutely butchered that song, I like country music, but that song is pure hard rock, she sings it like a country song.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:55 PM

5,363 posts, read 8,239,955 times
A Whiter Shade Of Pale as covered by Annie Lennox just doesn't do it for me. I like her a lot, but not on this one. It's all about the Hammond organ. Gov't Mule, though, they got it right.

Here's the original.
YouTube - Procol Harum - A whiter shade of pale 1967

Old 04-09-2008, 10:14 PM

204 posts, read 1,060,574 times
Best cover obviously i will always love you covered by whitney : ) I think thats without a doubt the BEST cover to ever have be sung. AND...come together by aerosmith. I prefer the aerosmith version to the beatles version.

and the sad sad truth is that I actually quite prefer the bee gees' covers of the beatles songs in the sgt peppers lonely hearts club band film to the actual beatles originals. especially the oh darlin cover. and i get by with a little help from my friends with peter frampton. There!!! I said it!!!!

and I prefer the aerosmith original of painted on my heart to the cover by the cult.

DUN DUN DUN.......I HATE the Declan cover of Love of my Life by Queen. The kids not a bad singer by any means....but dont touch the Queen classics : )

Old 04-09-2008, 11:39 PM
Status: "Even the losers get lucky sometimes" (set 10 days ago)

1,301 posts, read 1,477,054 times
Maybe doesn't qualify as a legitimate cover, but if you're going to mention worst, no list is complete without William Shatner's versions of "Mr. Tambourine Man" and "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds".

He gives good old Mrs. Miller a run for her money.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:02 AM

468 posts, read 1,090,428 times
Two of the absolute worst covers in the history of mankind (probably the history of pre-mankind also)

Avril Lavigne - Chop Suey (original -
YouTube - System of a Down-Chop Suey! ) -
YouTube - Avril Lavigne - Chop Suey (System of a Down Cover)

Some kid band - Smells Like Teen Spirit (cover of Nirvana, ya'll know how it sounds) -

YouTube - Hackley school's Nirvana "smells like teen spirit" cover
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music