Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 06:33 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,970,741 times

Advertisements

Am glad Journey finally made it, but clearly not everyone shares that sentiment.

Full list includes:

Bad Brains, Chaka Khan, Chic, Depeche Mode, ELO, the J. Geils Band, Jane’s Addiction, Janet Jackson, Joan Baez, Joe Tex, Journey, Kraftwerk, MC5, Pearl Jam, Steppenwolf, the Cars, Zombies, Tupac Shakur and Yes.

Journey, Yes, ELO and Cars Among 2017 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominees

Rock Hall hits new low: Why celebrate Journey and Yes? - Salon.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2016, 06:51 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,943,199 times
Yes should have been in years ago, they will probably be passed over for a joke like Tupac.

Old 10-18-2016, 07:54 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,291,679 times
I realize they are best known for their cheesy early 80's hits, but J Geils is a fantastic underappreciated band. Their live show was second to none. They still put on a great show when they go out. Peter Wolf is an amazing frontman. He's actually made some really great solo albums in the past 15 years.

Old 10-18-2016, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsondude View Post
I realize they are best known for their cheesy early 80's hits, but J Geils is a fantastic underappreciated band. Their live show was second to none. They still put on a great show when they go out. Peter Wolf is an amazing frontman. He's actually made some really great solo albums in the past 15 years.
You got me there, because yes, the only remember J. Geils band for "Freeze Frame" and "Angel Is A Centerfold". *LOL*

The 1980's was all over the place with music; some of it was fantastic, some of it not so much.

Journey is a tough call. IMHO the band with Steve Perry was great, or was it just SP?

It is about time Depeche Mode won a nod.

What is up with that Tupac nomination?

Old 10-19-2016, 06:10 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,291,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
You got me there, because yes, the only remember J. Geils band for "Freeze Frame" and "Angel Is A Centerfold". *LOL*

The 1980's was all over the place with music; some of it was fantastic, some of it not so much.

Journey is a tough call. IMHO the band with Steve Perry was great, or was it just SP?

It is about time Depeche Mode won a nod.

What is up with that Tupac nomination?
If you're ever inclined listen to 70's J Geils. I bet you know more songs than you realize. "Must Have Got Lost", "House Party", "Whammer Jammer", and many others are great.

I'm personally not a fan of Journey, but I don't deny that they belong. They've sold a ton of records and apparently have staying power.

As far as Tupac I'm out. It seems they've been inducting about a rapper per year lately which I'm not a fan of. The same goes for artists like Madonna. I'm not denying the influence these people have had on music, but if you want to generalize the place that much call it the pop music hall of fame or something. I'm sorry but Tupac is not rock and roll.

Old 10-19-2016, 06:15 AM

1,606 posts, read 3,342,557 times
Way to go Zombies!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0OsQxjHxmMU

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NtyROCysfN0

Old 10-19-2016, 08:01 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,137,674 times
Bad Brains, Chaka Khan, Chic, Depeche Mode, ELO, the J. Geils Band, Jane’s Addiction, Janet Jackson, Joan Baez, Joe Tex, Journey, Kraftwerk, MC5, Pearl Jam, Steppenwolf, the Cars, Zombies, Tupac Shakur and Yes.

I don't mind that the RRHOF is more inclusive rather than less. Pretty much all of these acts have either been important or had many fans. Joe Tex I'm not sure of. I have never liked a note of music from Pearl Jam but know plenty of people who have so...

Personally I'm pleased Kraftwerk (way over due), Depeche Mode and Bad Brains are in.

Should be a fun ceremony/concert to watch.

Old 10-19-2016, 08:17 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,860,429 times
These are only nominees, no one is in yet. All the rubbish pop stuff aren't HoF worthy. Selling a crap-ton of bad music doesn't make one HoF, imo - but then the hall is filled with those groups.

Out of that list I see 3 that are worthy, because of continued influence. Baez, Kraftwerk, and the MC5.

Old 10-19-2016, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post

I don't mind that the RRHOF is more inclusive rather than less. Pretty much all of these acts have either been important or had many fans. Joe Tex I'm not sure of. I have never liked a note of music from Pearl Jam but know plenty of people who have so...

Personally I'm pleased Kraftwerk (way over due), Depeche Mode and Bad Brains are in.

Should be a fun ceremony/concert to watch.

Will be interesting to see if Steve Perry and Journey can stand each other long enough to be in the same hall/room for the entire show. *LOL* Even more interesting to see if Journey gets in which lead singer (Steve Perry or Arnel Pineda, or both) will be onstage.

Personally think SP should have a nod to himself as with David Coverdale (did Whitesnake ever get in?).

Old 10-19-2016, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
These are only nominees, no one is in yet. All the rubbish pop stuff aren't HoF worthy. Selling a crap-ton of bad music doesn't make one HoF, imo - but then the hall is filled with those groups.
Try telling that to Madonna.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music