Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 10:05 AM

4,255 posts, read 5,935,498 times

Advertisements

I was out clothes shopping a lot recently and I was subjected to some of the worst music ever, most of it apparently pretty recent. I like to play devil's advocate about contemporary popular music, but I am barely even aware of a lot of the top hits; so that makes it easier to take defend. However, I still find music new music that I like. It just takes a little effort. I wasn't particularly into 80s top 40 for most of the 80s anyway. I relied a lot on college radio and a handful of music-minded friends.

Sometimes I hear "college radio" music when I'm out at Smith's. It's a little disorienting: what's "Love Will Tear Us Apart" doing playing in a supermarket? But I guess by now it's probably been used in a movie or two and people less than half my age might associate it with one of those movies. In fact, I had experiences like that in the 90s with people who I thought of us as only slightly younger than me. Some of the 70s hits I remember from childhood, they only knew thanks to the same songs by used in recent movies.

Anyway, there are so many ways to find new music today. I admit I usually have to sort through a lot to find things I like, but that's okay. I was a lot less picky when I was younger. Almost anything post-punk sounded amazing to me in the 80s (not so much now). I was younger, had heard less, and was easier to please. So in some sense it seems normal that it would take more effort to find new music I like now. Spotify, Pandora, Youtube, Bandcamp, Soundcloud, etc., all make it easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 08:36 PM

3,551 posts, read 2,531,925 times
I've noticed that as people age, they tend to think that any new pop music stinks and the music of typically 20 years ago was so much better. Generally this happens in your 40s but can occur in early 20s for some. It happened to my dad in the 1960s, it was true for many Baby Boomers I met in the 1980s. Even many people my own age, mid 20s back then, didn't like much new 80s music. Finally it happened to me starting in the late 90s as I approached age 40. I do still find new music that I like, not nearly as much as years ago though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music