Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 10:35 PM

3,110 posts, read 1,976,381 times

Advertisements

I wanted to note that this thread is for people who want to highlight or show off a song(or songs) that they feel are particularly complex or outstanding in a creative way.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2017, 11:19 PM

3,901 posts, read 5,126,685 times
Iron Maiden's fourteen minute take on Samuel Taylor Coleridge's poem "Rime of the Ancient Mariner". They used actual verses from the poem as some of the lyrics. It was recorded on their 1984 album "Powerslave" and it has been a live show staple ever since.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7zk4as9kzA

Click More Info for the lyrics.

Old 04-23-2017, 11:21 PM

Similar to orchestra music, old 'Chicago' music was very creative by nature. Therefore, if you're not familiar with the Rock/Pop/Jazz group Chicago, sit back and listen to some very creative and interesting music. And if you are familiar with Chicago, then sit back and reminiscent.

All three of Chicago's first three albums are very creative, but I'm going to post songs from Chicago II and Chicago III.

Therefore, from Chicago II, here a live performance of what would be considered the "Ballet for a Girl in Buchannon" suite and would correspond to track numbers 6-12 and would include mostly instrumental songs and two hit vocal songs called Make Me Smile and Color My World. Also, I think that it's a really nice performance.

CHICAGO "Ballet for a Girl in Buchannon" LIve

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00ScyJZS8yI

Also, from Chicago II, this video would include songs that correspond to track numbers 15, 16, 17, and 18, and would include the songs:

Prelude

A.M. Morning

P.M. Morning

Memories Of Love
(a vocal)

Chicago Memories Of Love

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n26e_jej7Qo

And I will post the songs from Chicago III in my next post.

Old 04-23-2017, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
Iron Maiden's fourteen minute take on Samuel Taylor Coleridge's poem "Rime of the Ancient Mariner". They used actual verses from the poem as some of the lyrics. It was recorded on their 1984 album "Powerslave" and it has been a live show staple ever since.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7zk4as9kzA

Click More Info for the lyrics.
Actually, I couldn't get the lyrics going from the More Info link, but looked them up on Google, but so far I've listened to about a third of this song and the music and the lyrics are very complex and creative. Very nice, st33lcas3.

Old 04-23-2017, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Taylor View Post
And I will post the songs from Chicago III in my next post.
Well, actually, I will post them on another night.

Last edited by William Taylor; 04-23-2017 at 11:55 PM..

Old 04-23-2017, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Hmmm. I thought that your songs were boring and sleep-inducing. But perhaps you could start a thread like that. Good luck.
I wanted to apologize to good_deal_maker for being so curt with him or her in my post #12. Also, I had been a bit frustrated by a couple of things and failed to be as polite as I should have been.

Old 04-24-2017, 03:25 PM

1,294 posts, read 1,175,532 times
This is a fantastic, creative song. Larry said he wrote it for the great Billy Cobham. The whole album is amazing, tbh. I don't know why the YT uploader claims it's from 2006, the correct date is actually 1997. Incidentally, Larry played this at his last performance, hours before he passed away in February. RIP Larry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2GWA_uwhVI

Old 04-25-2017, 05:20 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,906,087 times
Quote:
Actually, no pun intended, but it sounds like you are now "on the wrong track" with this song, ApartmentNomad.

But perhaps you can listen to some of the other songs posted in this thread.
I don't agree, based on your description anyway. I need to listen to your examples though. I think the vocal harmonies intertwined with Fripp's guitar soloing makes for a very distinctive sound.

I don't particularly like the way you've framed what is "creative" or not though so I probably should just drop out of the game at this point. Also, "a bit more outstanding" is vague and subjective. So basically we're left with "a bit more complex" plus your examples.

Bonsoir!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9CsQb1sMxQ

Last edited by ApartmentNomad; 04-25-2017 at 05:29 PM..

Old 04-26-2017, 10:05 AM

4,255 posts, read 5,906,087 times
Wait, so you think the first two cookie cutter smooth jazz tracks you posted are more creative than "Hammond Song?" This is the problem with musicians, some of them anyway.

If I had listened to your examples before responding, I wouldn't have responded, since you are obviously on a different wavelength if you think all that waiting-in-my-allergist's-office music is especially creative.

Last edited by ApartmentNomad; 04-26-2017 at 10:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music