Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 11:25 PM

3,110 posts, read 1,977,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
I don't agree, based on your description anyway. I need to listen to your examples though. I think the vocal harmonies intertwined with Fripp's guitar soloing makes for a very distinctive sound.

I don't particularly like the way you've framed what is "creative" or not though so I probably should just drop out of the game at this point. Also, "a bit more outstanding" is vague and subjective. So basically we're left with "a bit more complex" plus your examples.
Okay, fair enough. But keep in mind that I started this thread based on another thread called: http://www.city-data.com/forum/music...-creative.html where I was trying to use the basic concept of that thread, but tried to create a better thread than that. Therefore, instead of just keeping the word "creative" from that thread, it would have been better if I had also used the word "inventive" and had called the thread: Songs You Consider To Be The Most 'Creative' and 'Inventive.' Where according to dictionary.com, "inventive" means: apt at inventing, devising, or contriving. And where "inventing" or "invent" means: to originate or create as a product of one's own ingenuity, experimentation, or contrivance. Therefore, I hope that helps.

Inventive | Define Inventive at Dictionary.com

Invent | Define Invent at Dictionary.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 11:34 PM

4,527 posts, read 5,115,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Taylor View Post
Okay, fair enough. But keep in mind that I started this thread based on another thread called: http://www.city-data.com/forum/music...-creative.html where I was trying to use the basic concept of that thread, but tried to create a better thread than that. Therefore, instead of just keeping the word "creative" from that thread, it would have been better if I had also used the word "inventive" and had called the thread: Songs You Consider To Be The Most 'Creative' and 'Inventive.' Where according to dictionary.com, "inventive" means: apt at inventing, devising, or contriving. And where "inventing" or "invent" means: to originate or create as a product of one's own ingenuity, experimentation, or contrivance. Therefore, I hope that helps.

Hell, I'm happy when a songwriter doesn't use a rhyming dictionary. Or when a rock band uses horns or a dobro.

Old 04-26-2017, 11:34 PM

Quote:
And where "inventing" or "invent" means: to originate or create as a product of one's own ingenuity, experimentation, or contrivance. Therefore, I hope that helps.

Also, I like dictionary.com's definition of ingenuity: cleverness or skillfulness of conception or design.

Ingenuity | Define Ingenuity at Dictionary.com

Old 04-26-2017, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
Hell, I'm happy when a songwriter doesn't use a rhyming dictionary.
Who said anything about a songwriter using a rhyming dictionary?

Old 04-26-2017, 11:47 PM

4,527 posts, read 5,115,124 times
Quote:
Who said anything about a songwriter using a rhyming dictionary?
I was just speaking to creativity in modern music or popular/rock music in general. I don't find most popular music very interesting lyrically. I also find rock very formulaic when it comes to instrumental arrangement. Very few rock bands tend to step outside the guitar, bass & drums mainstay.

I think songs can be labeled creative/innovative when artists step outside the norms.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:45 PM

491 posts, read 469,499 times
Quote:
Also, I like dictionary.com's definition of ingenuity: cleverness or skillfulness of conception or design.

Ingenuity | Define Ingenuity at Dictionary.com
How do you measure how clever something is? Often times we don't spend enough time analyzing every song to its core and instead only focus on the few musical elements we like upon first impressions. That doesn't mean you uncovered every single creative element the composer or music producer included in a song.

I just don't think that assigning "most creative" is very precise when it comes to measuring how much creativity a song can have. It's surprising how tastes and our perception of songs greatly affects how we can appreciate a song.

If someone is able to extract more and more creatvity from a Fifth Harmony song, than from a Mozart piece, that just goes to show how these pop songs can be more "creative" and fulfill its role as an art piece in a more more effectively way. Appreciation comes from the individual. You can even increase the creativity a song has by reading more into it with overanalysis and super-interpretations. Yeah, I'll just create my own creatvity. That's creativity.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearlevel View Post
How do you measure how clever something is? Often times we don't spend enough time analyzing every song to its core and instead only focus on the few musical elements we like upon first impressions. That doesn't mean you uncovered every single creative element the composer or music producer included in a song.
Well, please don't take this the wrong way, but perhaps that is the difference between older music and much of the newer music of today. Because music from yesteryear was a lot more 'creative' and 'inventive' therefore, it was easier for people of past generations to discern these elements where they didn't need to spend time 'analyzing' songs in order to hear their creativity and inventiveness.

Quote:
I just don't think that assigning "most creative" is very precise when it comes to measuring how much creativity a song can have. It's surprising how tastes and our perception of songs greatly affects how we can appreciate a song.
But this thread isn't about tastes because I was able to discern the creativity and the inventiveness of songs in this thread that I didn't particularly like, or songs that I would never buy.

Quote:
If someone is able to extract more and more creatvity from a Fifth Harmony song, than from a Mozart piece, that just goes to show how these pop songs can be more "creative" and fulfill its role as an art piece in a more more effectively way. Appreciation comes from the individual. You can even increase the creativity a song has by reading more into it with overanalysis and super-interpretations. Yeah, I'll just create my own creatvity. That's creativity.
Well, once again, I think that you are conflating creativity and inventiveness with personal taste. But personal taste is not what this thread is about.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:44 PM

491 posts, read 469,499 times
Quote:

But this thread isn't about tastes because I was able to discern the creativity and the inventiveness of songs in this thread that I didn't particularly like, or songs that I would never buy.
Well, at the very least, you should be able to explain why you think something is creative, with as much detail as possible. It's not so much about taste, but about how sometimes something can over people's heads. I just don't know that creativty equals your first impressions. Sometimes you need explanations and more information to see how an art work was created in order to fully appreciate things. Also, often times, the best and most creative things are not easily noticeable.

Anyway, there are great songs here though, so thanks for creating the thread.

Old 04-27-2017, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Anyway, there are great songs here though, so thanks for creating the thread.
You're welcome. And I hope that people will continue to post in this thread because I am more familiar with older music than I am with newer music. Therefore, I hope that there are some posters who can bring out newer songs that are creative and inventive. And of course along with older music(that I am not familiar with) that is creative and inventive.

Plus, I hope that everyone reading this thread will be able to appreciate the creativity and the inventiveness in songs that they are not familiar with.

Old 04-27-2017, 11:38 PM

7,682 posts, read 1,262,661 times
One of my favorites--Bleachers (Jack Antonoff also of fun.)

I played this album non-stop when it came out in 2014. I find something new in it every time I listen to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BR_H...5pgNN&index=10

This was my anthem during the summer of 2014--it's the kind of song that's begging to be played full blast with the car windows rolled down, sung at the top of your lungs--the video is a hoot, too...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5osPtE7kXI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music