Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 11:55 AM

5,793 posts, read 13,935,813 times

Advertisements

Thick As A Brick - Jethro Tull

In the wake of Stand Up, Benefit and Aqualung, I was geared for something really special when I picked up this monstrosity. I tried in vain to get into it but that's not the way it worked out. For me, there are some really good moments, but trying to find them amongst the backdrop of its 2 20+ minute tracks just isn't worth the effort.

I originally bought this on 8-track. Then years later, to make matters worse (thinking maybe I should give it a proper listen) I picked up an original master CD, analog-analog-digital, 24karat gold plated edition and it can be yours for cheap if you're into this sort of thing. Just DM me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 04:32 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,423,643 times
I certainly agree with the OP on "Pet Sounds." Can't stand it. Just sounds like a bunch of noise.

"Rubber Soul" by the Beatles...you have to listen to what went before..."Rubber Soul" was a radical departure from what they had written and played before..totally different...it really began to establish them as a major band, and not as a flavor-of-the-month group. But it sure doesn't stand up to "Sgt. Pepper" or the "White Album!"

Old 03-08-2008, 05:37 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,447,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRUA View Post
I agree with you 6 Foot 3 ....Van Halen's 3rd album sucked bigtime ...my friends and I were all big VH fans ...thought their first two album were great ...we were really disappointed when the 3rd LP came out ... sounded like second rate stuff left off their earlier albums
Translation: There weren't any songs that the radio would play 500 times a day off of "WACF".

It's actually a brilliant record, IMO. "Everybody Wants Some", "And the Cradle Will Rock", "Loss of Control", "Romeo Delight", "In a Simple Rhyme".....all fantastic VH songs.

If they did a dissapointing album with Roth, it was "Diver Down". A whole album full of goofy cover tunes. Especially as a follow up to the masterpiece that was "Fair Warning". Talk about being let down!

Old 03-08-2008, 06:40 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,621,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman View Post
"And the Cradle Will Rock",
That was and still is a GREAT song by them ..... I was in High School back then and we 70's rockers loved Van Halen I and II as the whole album jammed on both albums. I just remember me and my long haired dope smokin buds back then thinking how that album sucked. I still dislike it but if you dig it then more power to ya......

Old 03-08-2008, 06:43 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,621,897 times
I could also add AC/DC ''For those about to rock'' was disappointing after a great album ''Back n Black'' was just a jammin album when Brian Johnson joined the band.

Old 03-08-2008, 07:33 PM

18,217 posts, read 25,857,597 times
Square Peg nails it!! Tull was really on a roll until Thick As A Brick came out. Mindless doodling is what I call it. Then Passion Play came out that next summer. What's the old saying, "Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me." Passion Play was just downright goofy. One of the two minute ditties from Ian Anderson on side one; "This is the story of the hare that lost its spectacles!" That says it! Thankfully they snapped out of their, uh, funk, and got back to playing good stuff again.

Old 03-08-2008, 07:35 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,447,728 times
I thought the "Use Your Illusion" GNR records were AWFUL in comparison to "Appetite For Destruction". A classic case of a band getting too big too fast and too many people getting involved.

Speaking of Van Halen, how about that HORRID record they did with Gary Cherone! That's what the VH brothers deserved after canning Sammy Hagar!

I am a big fan of the post Creed band Alter Bridge, but their 2nd record "Blackbird" is nowhere near as good as their first, "One Day Remains".

Old 03-08-2008, 07:47 PM

904 posts, read 2,873,183 times
The last two Beck albums...."Guero" just sounds like a cheap copy of his older, better stuff. "The Information" has its moments ("Cellphone's Dead" is fantastic), but most of it is pretty mediocre.

Old 03-10-2008, 02:39 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
R.E.M.'s Up. What a nonsensical mess!

Old 03-10-2008, 03:57 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,384,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
I could also add AC/DC ''For those about to rock'' was disappointing after a great album ''Back n Black'' was just a jammin album when Brian Johnson joined the band.
That's so true! Their best was Highway to Hell, then after Scott's tragic demise, they managed to pull out another classic (Back in Black). Then...what happened?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music