Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 10:08 AM

41,907 posts, read 75,009,653 times

Advertisements

Didn't they say that in 1982 during their first "farewell" tour?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2017, 10:31 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,782,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey mouse is dead
I found The Who terribly underrated.
Well they USED TO BE yes.....

Last record I like of thiers is thier 1981 album FACE DANCES...

Old 05-20-2017, 10:51 AM

924 posts, read 1,672,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Didn't they say that in 1982 during their first "farewell" tour?
Yes, yes they did. I went to see them in D.C. when I was about 16. We camped out for two nights at the Cap Centre to get the tickets. I had around place 150 in line. A guy we met there had something like 67. There were probably a thousand people there altogether. We did not get tickets. They sold out at around the 50th person. The police came out and stood on their cars and explained there were no more tickets. Everyone just quietly went home. It was the saddest, most dejected group of hungover people you've ever seen!

A few weeks later they announced there would be a second night. When I heard there were still tickets available the day after they went on sale, we went to the TicketMaster window at I think it was the Hecht Company (I could be wrong about the store) and just bought them. No big deal, no hassle. I don't think that show even sold out.

Old 05-20-2017, 10:56 AM

27,062 posts, read 13,329,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daynet View Post

"popping their clogs" - never heard that one before. I'm going to start using it!

It's a popular English Idom in relation to dying.

Others include 'Kicking the Bucket' and 'Snuff it'.

As in he's finally kicked the bucket, snuffed it and popped his clogs.

As for being dead - you can say someones stone dead or he has Shuffled off this mortal coil (Shakespeare), As Dead as a Doornail, Brown Bread (Cockney Rhyming Slang), Hopped off the Twig, Come to a sticky end, Given up the ghost, Gone for a Burton etc etc. If you had a long life, in England they would say 'You had a good Innings' (a Cricket Term).

As for pop your clogs in English slang, the word "pop" mean't the same as "pawn." A 19th century working man who is mortally ill or at the point of death might tell his family to take his clothes to the pawn shop to pay for his funeral; especially his clogs which would be his most expensive/valuable items.

Last edited by Brave New World; 05-20-2017 at 11:26 AM..

Old 05-20-2017, 11:25 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,269,948 times
BNW, that was awesome - thanks! I love "hopped off the twig". I love British stuff anyway. And I was going to remark "popped his clogs" sounded typically British but your explanation really clarifies it.

I saw the Who's Tommy concert and that was before they realized the laser shows were melting retinas. MAN it was fantastic. (Yes with Rick Wakeman was another great laser show at that time I got to see)

If you think about album sales, 8-track sales, cassette sales, CD sales... those guys made money off of that. Now what do they make money off of? If they don't tour, how do they pay bills? So now concert ticket prices are through the roof. Can't see it. I'm from the $7.50/show in the 70's, too. Once paid a TON to see Clapton and he was so wasted he screwed up 2 or 3 songs and walked off the stage.

Recently saw Blue Oyster Cult and there were 2 original members. One quipped: It's a great day! Any day we wake up is a great day! They know they're old. If they feel like playing, let 'em go! It was awesome jumping around to "Don't Fear the Reaper".

I'll never think of Who concerts without hearing "I'd walk on you to see the Who". Sorry. Can't help it.

Old 05-21-2017, 07:59 AM

421 posts, read 287,248 times
Trying to understand the "Who Bashing" going on? Like or don't, as for Rodger beside's being one of the greatest voice's in rock n roll history he is also a very smart man.He knows Pete gets tired of the group once in a while so he can go off and do his stuff and Rodger can go off and do his.Rodger is right,he doesn't know if they will play again,didn't say he wouldn't or couldn't ....he just doesn't know at this time and lets not forget those guy are not spring chickens.The (Townsend)Who ,have two of the greatest masterpieces of rock music ever assemble in Tommy and Quadrophenia and that doesn't even include arguably the greatest rock song ever written in Baba O' Riley (Teen Age Waste land). It happens to be their band if they want to carry on the name with only Rodger and Pete let them,our opinion doesn't matter.I was lucky enough to see the Who perform Tommy in 1970 at Tanglewood in Lenox Mass,Keith Moon IMHO was even to this day the greatest rock drummer in history.......no one has ever come close.Their music is still some of the greatest of all time and it's something the younger generations need to study.

Old 05-21-2017, 09:31 AM

6,724 posts, read 4,395,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Sunday View Post
Trying to understand the "Who Bashing" going on? Like or don't, as for Rodger beside's being one of the greatest voice's in rock n roll history he is also a very smart man.He knows Pete gets tired of the group once in a while so he can go off and do his stuff and Rodger can go off and do his.Rodger is right,he doesn't know if they will play again,didn't say he wouldn't or couldn't ....he just doesn't know at this time and lets not forget those guy are not spring chickens.The (Townsend)Who ,have two of the greatest masterpieces of rock music ever assemble in Tommy and Quadrophenia and that doesn't even include arguably the greatest rock song ever written in Baba O' Riley (Teen Age Waste land). It happens to be their band if they want to carry on the name with only Rodger and Pete let them,our opinion doesn't matter.I was lucky enough to see the Who perform Tommy in 1970 at Tanglewood in Lenox Mass,Keith Moon IMHO was even to this day the greatest rock drummer in history.......no one has ever come close.Their music is still some of the greatest of all time and it's something the younger generations need to study.

No one will top Moon. When you can play the way he did, and clown around doing it. I remember hearing Pete Townsend talking about this German stewardess he had met and she was staying at his house for a few days. Keith lived on the same street got wind of Pete and his German lady at his house. Pete said, Keith dressed up as German soldier and marched up and down the street in front of Petes house, in that German high stepping march. Keith just wasnt a drummer that was a little off, he was a lunatic that could also play the drums, rather well.

Old 05-21-2017, 03:05 PM

421 posts, read 287,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsthomas View Post
No one will top Moon. When you can play the way he did, and clown around doing it. I remember hearing Pete Townsend talking about this German stewardess he had met and she was staying at his house for a few days. Keith lived on the same street got wind of Pete and his German lady at his house. Pete said, Keith dressed up as German soldier and marched up and down the street in front of Petes house, in that German high stepping march. Keith just wasnt a drummer that was a little off, he was a lunatic that could also play the drums, rather well.

LOL, well said.

Old 05-21-2017, 03:10 PM

21,017 posts, read 27,139,017 times
I hate to say the Who and many other popular musicians from the 1960's and the 1970's may be winding down their touring and live performances altogether. If the Who can continue to perform beyond 2017, it would be worth seeing them.

Old 05-21-2017, 05:40 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,020,732 times
I saw them in 2000 and they were...adequate. I think John was still with them. Roger could pull off the "They're all wasted!" I think Pinball Wizard had some energy. All in all not one of the more memorable "big" groups I've seen.

P.S. Pete's first two solo albums are underrated. I think I play them more often than the Who these days, though I still love em.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music