Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 08:59 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,283,162 times

Advertisements

Who cares.

Rock, and specifically Metal, are mine. I only care about what I consume. Let the hip hoppers choke on theirs.

But I will admit this has always been a hip hop/rock collaboration that I love....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B_UYYPb-Gk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 11:14 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,526,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Taylor View Post

But the bottom line is that the reason why a lot of older adults don't like Hip Hop music is because Hip Hip music panders to the lowest common denominator in human beings. Or in other words, instead of appealing to human dignity and human self-respect and the respect of others, this music appeals to the baser aspects of human attitude and human behavior.
I completely disagree with this statement. Like any music genre there are good and bad artists. There is a lot of crap in all genres of music. By saying this you are basically disregarding a whole bunch if hip hop artists like a tribe called quest, de la soul, mos def, and now kendrick lamar that have use hip hop to express consciousness and black pride. You talk about the 60's and 70's but the problems were still there then; the watt riots, the newark riots, etc......they were just swept under the rug.

Old 07-21-2017, 11:18 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,526,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserFinn View Post
From my point of view, hip hop is not music and never will be.
Rock is.
Thats like saying the sun is not hot and thats your point of view.

Webster defines music as:

vocal, instrumental, or mechanical sounds having rhythm, melody, or harmony

So you can believe what you want, just kniw that you are wrong.

Old 07-21-2017, 11:22 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,101,312 times
Hip hop was at it's best during the late 80s to mid to early 90s. Now, it's all a bunch of degrading lyrics and the same recycled beat over and over and over again. Every song sounds the same. I don't know why it's so popular. It sucks.

Old 07-21-2017, 11:26 AM

10,453 posts, read 4,036,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
There are likely to be multiple, complicated factors. I do have to point out an irony. Rock N' Roll's roots are in southern Jazz or "Rhythm and Blues" music among African Americans back in the segregated era. Elvis Presley's adoption of the genre made it mainstream among white teens of the late 1950s. From there, it just grew.

Ironically, many 70s and 80s rockers and their fans probably disdain Hip Hop music because of its African American "roots". But Rock N' Roll can be traced back to "African American roots" of Jazz and Blues. Even Jerry Lee Lewis, the white piano player of Rock N' Roll, made that obvious in his biographical film.

Racism was far more common among teens of the 1970s and 80s. For that older generation of "Rockers" I can predict the racism behind the scenes that they feel against "Hip Hop" preferred by their children's generation. Many of them are probably horrified from the reality of interracial couples at clubs with Hip Hop music. But those older "white Rockers" would be naive in failing to acknowledge Rock N' Roll's roots in Jazz/Blues from African American musicians.
Paul McCartney Explains How the Beatles Wouldn't Exist Without Chuck Berry | Beatles music radio
Funny, I bet Eminem is probably the most successful rapper now. Huh? He probably paved the way for rap to become mainstream and liked by everybody now!

Old 07-21-2017, 11:35 AM

10,453 posts, read 4,036,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Who cares.

Rock, and specifically Metal, are mine. I only care about what I consume. Let the hip hoppers choke on theirs.

But I will admit this has always been a hip hop/rock collaboration that I love....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B_UYYPb-Gk
I personally never realized there was some beef against rockers and rappers. They had a mutual understanding for eachother. Now, I would remember Metallica going into a frenzy when country music exploded for a while (and they even mocked Garth Brooks) and John C Mellencamp was completely against the pop music era and forbid his record label from signing on boyband BackStreet Boys, but nothing against rap or vice versa.

However, I find it interesting, both genres had to fight the government for their right to play and sell whatever they felt like, since they were artists. Rock, and even John Denver, fought them in the mid 80's, and NWA had to fight them in the 90's.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:08 PM

15,145 posts, read 14,327,477 times
Most of today's rock sounds tired to me. Hip hop, if we can call it that, certainly features a lot of words but it isn't about words so much as sound and that sound comes from the way it's done. This music and all the variants that have come along in the last thirty or so years is about hooks, drama, personality, comedy, sex, tone of voice, anything it takes to achieve the required air of sad swagger. That's why in all those thirty years it hasn't really produced a single worthwhile song, not in the sense of one that you could sit down and play. That's why live performances of hip hop always look like a bit of an afterthought.
Fifty years ago they used to have the same arguments about Bob Dylan. Was he a poet or just a noise? This was the wrong question, the same wrong question they now ask about rap. As a poet Dylan was mediocre. As a noise he was immense.

Old 07-22-2017, 01:37 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,935,498 times
It's easier for those of us with no interest in rap to vote with our ears and wallets than to argue with people who are interested in it. Every year I play partial catch-up with some of the rap that a music board heavily inhabited by music critics has acclaimed for the year. Every year I am repulsed by almost all of it. I don't think there's ever been a mainstream genre of music so dominated by the expression of anti-social and ultimately self-degrading sentiments. Furthermore, based on past experiences, the sound itself is now forever associated in my mind with the most negative aspects of African-American ghetto culture.

I'm not sure I would be attracted to it even if all of that were not the case. I generally don't like having that many words coming at me in music. I'm also not really that into story-telling in lyrics (something that contributes to my general lack of enthusaism for country).

Old 07-22-2017, 05:40 PM

1,100 posts, read 1,215,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey mouse is dead View Post
Thats like saying the sun is not hot and thats your point of view.

Webster defines music as:

vocal, instrumental, or mechanical sounds having rhythm, melody, or harmony

So you can believe what you want, just kniw that you are wrong.
Sure,Webster is right but rap/hip-hop don't have melody,harmony or rhythm, if having one then others are missing...Just words after words and when you have listen one, you have listen all.
Also normally hip-hoppers singing skills are poor or even very poor.
As an best, good music can be almost spiritual experience but rap/hip-hop never.

And finally,sun is not hot....Not when it is sleeping, it is well known fact here in Finland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsotlzr9wNw

Old 07-22-2017, 05:52 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,040,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey mouse is dead View Post
It seems like that for the first time ever, hip hop is the most consumed music genre in the U.S.

Hip hop dethrones rock as most consumed music genre in the U.S. - NY Daily News

What do you think about this?

I am first and foremost, a rock guy. However, I am also a hip hop fan. In fact, I haven’t been as excited for a music artist as I am right now for Kendrick Lamar. I believe he has brought the art of the concept album back. He is very creative and a master at his craft. I love all his records from Section 80 to DAMN.

I understand how some rock fans loathe hip hop, as they prefer the format of a group of musicians coming together in a studio and recording an album.

Why do you think hip hop has taken over? Could it be the way that hip hop artist release their music lends itself better to the streaming format? Or could it be that music streaming has now expanded the music listening base, whereas in the past you had to go physically to a record store and buy an album? (Notice that physical record consumption (i.e., cd sales) rock still dominates)?

I like rap, but still consider rock n roll to be the sound of America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music