Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 01:56 AM

32,968 posts, read 12,241,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I remember he video as well. It was about 3 years ago. He was my daughters first crush. She was about 10 I am guessing and her bedroom was plastered with his pictures and posters. Yes, it was the late 60s. He started as a replacement for the Beach boys for summer. I remember when our daughter wanted to see his TV show live but had to be 12 and she was only 10. When she was 12 we took her to see him live and also her dad took her to a concert with Glen and Ann Murray in Long Beach, Ca.

Prayers to his family, rest for him and now he is out of his suffering.

I just noticed on FOX he did an album just last June. I think it is called Farewell. We will be buying the CD asap.
.....and, IIRC, he was a fairly frequent guest on the Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour before getting his own TV show. My mother was quite a classical music aficionado, and was the vice president of a symphony appreciation group. She was also an excellent piano player. She also loved country music. The first country artist I remember her becoming a fan of was Glen Campbell. IMO, the greatest 'cover' of another artist's song (or at least one of the greatest)....in the history of music....was by a country artist...Johnny Cash's cover of 'Hurt' (written by Trent Reznor) from Reznor's band Nine Inch Nails' 1994 album The Downward Spiral.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 02:16 AM

26,273 posts, read 8,394,927 times
This news has saddened me. Glen was part of my childhood, and all the fine music of that time. He was a fantastic musician and singer, with the ability to sing with great emotion in his voice.

The musical greats of the 60s are leaving us now one by one. I will always remember Glen Campbell. RIP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zJBVdQd8iA

Old 08-09-2017, 06:08 AM

1,606 posts, read 3,332,479 times
Rest In Peace, Glen!
The songs Wichita Lineman and Galveston remain some of my favorites of all time. In addition to his hits, his TV show and movies, he also deserves recognition for his stellar guitar playing. As part of the Wrecking Crew, he played on scores of hits for The Monkees, Sonny & Cher, Beach Boys, Nat King Cole and Frank Sinatra. Here's a video on his session years:

https://youtu.be/w9-FfwwXRDg

Old 08-09-2017, 08:20 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,623,239 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuMy9BMk09c

You've Lost That Lovin Feeling....so so great.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:17 PM

88,228 posts, read 84,159,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
My favorite song of his is "Wichita Lineman".
Mine, too.

Old 08-10-2017, 03:10 PM

9,894 posts, read 21,962,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soupson1 View Post
R I P Glen Campbell. Glen’s contributions to country music (and music overall) cannot be overstated. He was a genuine representative of country-influenced music to the mainstream pop/rock audience, and a high-quality one at that.
He fought a long and hard battle. He’s on to better things. RIP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvswocNN-g8
Great album. I paid 50 cents for the Lp in good condition at a thrift store.

Old 08-10-2017, 04:51 PM

3,070 posts, read 7,994,961 times
Dear, dear Glen Campbell. Great entertainer, musician, singer, recording artist. It hurt to see him suffering. I had several favorites

Wichita Lineman
Galveston
By the time I get to Phoenix
Try a little Kindness
Sweet Dreams Baby (originally Roy Orbison I believe)
Rhinestone Cowboy
Southern Nights
Sunflower (written by Neil Diamond)
Just a Matter of Time (also recorded by Randy Travis)
The everyday housewife (bittersweet song)

Quite a string of hits

Old 08-11-2017, 04:56 PM

18,178 posts, read 25,737,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Before the singing career of Glen Travis Campbell really got going, did you know that he spent time as a member of The Wrecking Crew? Yep. He sure was. One of the earliest ventures of Glen's playing career was a stop in Los Angeles a session player with the legendary recording ensemble. You already know what Glen is famous for. It's been, in fact, fifty years since "Gentle On My Mind" came into the listening ears of many. Following that Grammy-winning song, he had that legendary collaboration with a singer-songwriter who was also getting his feet wet, a chap by the name of Jimmy Webb. The rest, you could say, is history.

We'll miss him and all that he'd brought to us through his voice and his guitar. Alzheimer's got to him, however, at 81, but his music will live on. Below is one of his later works, and also another collaboration with Jimmy Webb, this time on the Gospel side of things. Rest in peace, Glen!

Show Me Your Way - Glen Campbell / Anne Murray

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3gLCeq9kS4
As always, solid commentary from case44!

Jim Webb linked up with Glen Campbell at the right time. A lot of country loyalists are split regarding using horns and strings as opposed to your basic guitar sound. Several country people had success with it such as Eddy Arnold (Make The World Go Away) and Jim Reeves.

But Glen Campbell--his partnership with Jim Webb? I'd have to check the unofficial "bible" of music collecting regarding chart hits and their histories--that would be Joel Whitburn's "Top 40 Chart Hits". I was somewhat surprised that "Gentle On My mind" didn't go top ten in my area when it hit the radio waves around June of 1967. I can't detect a song of his on the charts until November of that year with "By The Time I Get To Phoenix" came on. But I cannot detect four consecutive months of no Glen Campbell on the charts, be it Country or Popular or Teen charts from that point for the next four years.

To me that is simply astonishing. After "Phoenix" here it comes---"Hey Little One," "I Wanna Live," "Dreams Of The Everyday Housewife", "Wichita Lineman," . And THAT'S just in 1968! Then here comes 1969---"Galveston," "Let It Be Me'(dust with Bobby Gentry), "True Grit" "Where's The Playground, Susie", and to finish off 1969, my favorite song of his, and it couldn't have come at a better time as things could not have been more volatile in our country as it was in the late 1960's. That song would be "Try A Little Kindness."

"Don't walk around the down and out-lend a helping hand instead of doubt."

"Just shine your light for everyone to see. And if you try a little kindness, then you'll overlook the blindness."

A great songwriter complements a great singer. And could Glen Campbell play the instruments? Ya kidding? Like case 44 mentioned he was part of the famed "Wrecking Crew." Some of the greatest session musicians of our day.

On the teen charts, it was not unusual at all to see country songs mixed in with the rock and roll-, here are several examples:

Stand By Your Man- Tammy Wynette
Harper Valley PTA- Jeanie C. Riley
Skip A Rope- Henson Cargill
Then You Can Tell Me Goodbye-Eddy Arnold

All those songs came out in 1968. And Glen? I listed his songs above from that year, 'nuff said. In the early 1970's he did two noteworthy lp's- "I Remember Hank Williams" and "I Knew Jesus (Before He Was A Star") and then right after that here come comes "Southern Nights", "Rhinestone Cowboy", and "Country Boy (You've Got Your Feet in L.A.) A decade of music that I don't believe any artist in country music couldn't shake their head and say "Whoa".

Old 08-12-2017, 11:43 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,335,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
As always, solid commentary from case44!

Jim Webb linked up with Glen Campbell at the right time. A lot of country loyalists are split regarding using horns and strings as opposed to your basic guitar sound. Several country people had success with it such as Eddy Arnold (Make The World Go Away) and Jim Reeves.

But Glen Campbell--his partnership with Jim Webb? I'd have to check the unofficial "bible" of music collecting regarding chart hits and their histories--that would be Joel Whitburn's "Top 40 Chart Hits". I was somewhat surprised that "Gentle On My mind" didn't go top ten in my area when it hit the radio waves around June of 1967. I can't detect a song of his on the charts until November of that year with "By The Time I Get To Phoenix" came on. But I cannot detect four consecutive months of no Glen Campbell on the charts, be it Country or Popular or Teen charts from that point for the next four years.

To me that is simply astonishing. After "Phoenix" here it comes---"Hey Little One," "I Wanna Live," "Dreams Of The Everyday Housewife", "Wichita Lineman," . And THAT'S just in 1968! Then here comes 1969---"Galveston," "Let It Be Me'(dust with Bobby Gentry), "True Grit" "Where's The Playground, Susie", and to finish off 1969, my favorite song of his, and it couldn't have come at a better time as things could not have been more volatile in our country as it was in the late 1960's. That song would be "Try A Little Kindness."

"Don't walk around the down and out-lend a helping hand instead of doubt."

"Just shine your light for everyone to see. And if you try a little kindness, then you'll overlook the blindness."

A great songwriter complements a great singer. And could Glen Campbell play the instruments? Ya kidding? Like case 44 mentioned he was part of the famed "Wrecking Crew." Some of the greatest session musicians of our day.

On the teen charts, it was not unusual at all to see country songs mixed in with the rock and roll-, here are several examples:

Stand By Your Man- Tammy Wynette
Harper Valley PTA- Jeanie C. Riley
Skip A Rope- Henson Cargill
Then You Can Tell Me Goodbye-Eddy Arnold

All those songs came out in 1968. And Glen? I listed his songs above from that year, 'nuff said. In the early 1970's he did two noteworthy lp's- "I Remember Hank Williams" and "I Knew Jesus (Before He Was A Star") and then right after that here come comes "Southern Nights", "Rhinestone Cowboy", and "Country Boy (You've Got Your Feet in L.A.) A decade of music that I don't believe any artist in country music couldn't shake their head and say "Whoa".
Of course I am showing my age, but the closest to him for great Country and western might be Marty Robbins.

Old 08-12-2017, 02:15 PM

9,894 posts, read 21,962,062 times
The following albums in stereo I have that are in good condition. Glen Campbell - greatest hits (also on 8-track & cassette), hey little one, gentle on my mind, a new place in the sun, by the time I get to phoenix, Wichita lineman & Christmas with glen Campbell. The very best of glen Campbell on cd is quite good (1987). I was listening to his music last night. He had quite the voice & he will be dearly missed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music