Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 08:47 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,339,729 times

Advertisements

I haven't been romantically involved with one women that liked the music I listen to, nor did I like all the music they listened to (personal hobbies included), but fortunately, all the women Ive been with were understanding, compromising, and willing to experience new things (me as well).

Compromising is a huge part of being in a relatioship. I know, you're unwilling to compromise, Scribs. Best to remain single.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 08:50 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,968,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbles76 View Post
No doubt some will think I'm petty for saying this, but potential gulfs between musical tastes are one of many reasons I prefer to stay single.

okay then. You made your choice. As long as you don't complain about not getting any, it is all good.

Old 08-10-2017, 08:50 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,037,424 times
I'm a musician. I used to be in a band. Used to do session work on occasion. So music has been a big part of my life, too. Yet my wife and I have very little in common when it comes to music tastes. We've been doing quite well for 28 years now.

The OP inadvertently states the problem that exists with the large majority of people who can't find a partner in life. They have a list of requirements and deal killers as long as their arms, yet mope about how they can't find someone who matches their rarefied standards.

So, OP, you find an amazing woman. One who is funny, kind, gorgeous, and smart, someone with whom you can talk for hours on end. Someone who totally gets you. But the minute she says, "You know, I just don't care for heavy metal," she gets the heave-ho. Do I have that correct?

Man. Invest in some headphones and grow up.

Old 08-10-2017, 08:51 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,968,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
I haven't been romantically involved with one women that liked the music I listen to, nor did I like all the music they listened to (personal hobbies included), but fortunately, all the women Ive been with were understanding, compromising, and willing to experience new things (me as well).

Compromising is a huge part of being in a relatioship. I know, you're unwilling to compromise, Scribs. Best to remain single.

yep. Same here.

Old 08-10-2017, 08:55 AM

1,713 posts, read 1,107,201 times
Up until almost four years ago, I spent my life compromising and walking on eggshells so as to please or at least not upset people. Enough already. I'm going to be selfish for a while and chase my dreams and goals without explanation, apology or anything even faintly resembling a 'yes, dear' .

If and only if I decide to change, I'll likely be too old and set in my ways to do anything about it. I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

Old 08-10-2017, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbles76 View Post
Up until almost four years ago, I spent my life compromising and walking on eggshells so as to please or at least not upset people. Enough already. I'm going to be selfish for a while and chase my dreams and goals without explanation, apology or anything even faintly resembling a 'yes, dear' .

If and only if I decide to change, I'll likely be too old and set in my ways to do anything about it. I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.
Oh. Well, "It's all about me all the time" isn't exactly the motto you want to have in life is you want any kind of healthy and fulfilling relationship.

Old 08-10-2017, 08:58 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,720,329 times
My friends like to make jokes about my musical tastes sometime.

I like anything that sounds good, but most of what sounds good to me is video game music. I listen to a few classical tracks sometimes as well. I'm not the type to want to blast it in the car or at home. I like cherishing that music on my own. My older brother and I will listen to video game music every now then though. I don't consider myself rigid about music, because as I said my tastes are a little eccentric.

I don't think I would condemn someone for what they like unless they're blasting it and they make a big deal out of it. Music is not that serious to me, so it would be a non issue.

Old 08-10-2017, 09:00 AM

1,713 posts, read 1,107,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
So, OP, you find an amazing woman. One who is funny, kind, gorgeous, and smart, someone with whom you can talk for hours on end. Someone who totally gets you. But the minute she says, "You know, I just don't care for heavy metal," she gets the heave-ho. Do I have that correct?
She gets my friendship and my respect. Those are the most important things I can offer anyone. Finding a partner or wife has never been on my to-do list. If she can't accept that and won't take no for an answer, then she gets the heave-ho.

Old 08-10-2017, 09:01 AM

437 posts, read 336,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Oh. Well, "It's all about me all the time" isn't exactly the motto you want to have in life is you want any kind of healthy and fulfilling relationship.
Disagree. You can have a healthy and fulfilling relationship with yourself this way. Some people are more than happy single and not looking.

Old 08-10-2017, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayden87 View Post
Disagree. You can have a healthy and fulfilling relationship with yourself this way. Some people are more than happy single and not looking.
Well, the word relationship de facto speaks to how you get along with someone else. Unless you have multiple personalities, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music