Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2017, 06:25 PM

1 posts, read 432 times

Advertisements

I saw a video where someone claimed this and I was wondering, is it true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 09:25 PM

3,110 posts, read 1,978,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNTFANT4 View Post
Why are you asking this forum? Don't you have your own opinion about this?

Old 08-16-2017, 08:44 AM

509 posts, read 481,762 times
Quote:
No, it is not true that the majority of music is full of sex and drugs and vulgar words. Not even close. Not even close to being close. Choose your videos more carefully, because this one is lying to you. A lot of videos do, by the way.

However, I have to ask you about your use of the word "inappropriate". Inappropriate to whom? Inappropriate for what? Your idea of what may be appropriate might be very different from that of the person next to you or across the street from you. Is a song with violent imagery "inappropriate"? What if it is condemning violence? Is a song with drug references "inappropriate"? What if it condemns drugs? What if it doesn't condemn drugs, but offers an account of what drugs are like? Is it "inappropriate" then? Is it inappropriate to mention sex? Is it inappropriate for a love song to urge romance without mentioning marriage? Is it inappropriate to sing a song praising drinking? Is cheating an inappropriate theme?

Does inappropriate refer to where and when a song is played? There is music that is inappropriate to play at a day care center, and there is music that is inappropriate for weddings and funerals. But it isn't inappropriate at other times.

If you are a six year old, or think like one, then most of life is inappropriate for you. If you are an adult, or think like one, then you ought to be able to handle most music.

As an aside, I will just point out that I find a lot of the same people who whine about "political correctness" are the ones most eager to shut down the one business where political incorrectness is free to fly. There is an irony in that.

Old 08-16-2017, 09:51 AM

13,262 posts, read 7,958,007 times
OP, are you saying music in its totality? Cause...you know...tht's a whole lot of music.

Or are you talking more rock and pop music? Cause yeah, there's a lot of rock out there about sex drugs and rock n roll. LOL

Whether it's appropriate or not...let parents and listeners decide for themselves. LOL

Old 08-16-2017, 01:34 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,237,423 times
No, that's an idiotic statement.

Old 08-16-2017, 01:45 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,555,593 times
Quote:
Definitely true!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWz9VN40nCA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZLfasMPOU4

Old 08-16-2017, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliblue View Post
because this one is lying to you. . .
Speaking of......

Oh... and by the way... I doubt if we see 1-post TMNTFANT4 anymore in this thread.

Old 08-16-2017, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
But why argue over something which more than likely was a false premise in the Original Post to begin with?

Old 08-17-2017, 11:31 PM

510 posts, read 368,168 times
The songs like many by pop-punk groups are about drugs, sex, violence, swearing, criticizing gov't and other "authority" but kids don't imitate everything just because they like the tune. I've just described one of my favorite bands, Green Day. They have listeners as young as 5, and I've seen kids as young as maybe 7 at their concerts, presumably with older relatives. I don't think they really fully understand when Billie Joe Armstrong shouts give me give me revolution!

Green Day has a song called Brain Stew where they seem to be describing the effects of some drug(s) and their young fans are discussing it, trying to determine what drug(s), with clues like my eyes feel like they're going to bleed, my mouth is dry, my face is numb, the clock is laughing in my face(?), while they're in odd positions on a sofa, being pulled by a bulldozer through a construction area, getting all dusty (does the term "couch lock" sound familiar to any of you?).

Their song "Basket Case" asks "am I just paranoid? am I just stoned?" But then if you see them at a concert where young peoples' dreams are realized by inviting them on stage to sing and/or play guitar with them, and they give many of them expensive guitars, one might think that seems the opposite of evil. Also, "weed" isn't so evil when over 1 billion have used it without any proven deaths in over 10,000 years.

They have a song from their punk rock opera (play) "American Idiot" "soda pop and Ritalin, cigarettes and Mary Jane, to keep me insane, doing someone else's cocaine". One must remember, songs don't always represent true events, even less so now that they need interesting videos to go along with the music.

Green Day doesn't mind anyone quoting lyrics to songs, singing them professionally, or recording their concerts from the 1st row & putting them on You Tube where they could profit a dollar or two. They are anti-materialistic, devoted a song to that "Macy's Day Parade" & Billie Joe will tell the venue owners we want to sell tickets at this price and have a little left over for ourselves, If you can give us that price we play here. If not, we play elsewhere. He might also inquire about if they can play overtime. Guarantee 2 fans about 2 1/2 hours, but he says they may play until they are (nearly) dead. Beautiful people 4 sure!

They're f'in awesome as in their LP title "Awesome as F**k" or their single "F**k Time. If anyone can agree an F "bomb" isn't as harmful as a *real* bomb, you might just have a new favorite band! They have an anti-suicide song, the sad to happy "21 Guns". If you stick to the official videos posted by Green Day, the offensive is minimized or absent. Green Day may be the most popular punk-pop-rock band ever, dozens of millions of albums sold, top ten in dozens of countries, playing to sold out stadiums

If it's beyond your tolerance, u might want to try classical music (no words no offense). Best wishes to all.

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music