Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 05:16 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,259,269 times

Advertisements

Just 5 years ago many people never heard of him. He's more well known now, and that is certainly reflected in the price of his concert tickets - which are now well above $100 and what I will pay. But I've got youtube and my I-pod full of his songs to entertain. Saw a list of the all time greatest blues rock guitarists and he's ranked 3rd, behind only SRV and Clapton. Here is one of my favorite JB tunes:

Just Got Paid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSQwj3s8Y4s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2017, 11:16 PM

834 posts, read 528,603 times
I met him once and chatted with him for a while. Extremely nice guy. I love his guitar acquisition videos.

Old 12-02-2017, 05:33 AM

1 posts, read 627 times
I haven't met him ever but has seen his a lots of videos on youtube and really like him.

Old 12-04-2017, 08:35 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,294,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Just 5 years ago many people never heard of him. He's more well known now, and that is certainly reflected in the price of his concert tickets - which are now well above $100 and what I will pay. But I've got youtube and my I-pod full of his songs to entertain. Saw a list of the all time greatest blues rock guitarists and he's ranked 3rd, behind only SRV and Clapton. Here is one of my favorite JB tunes:

Just Got Paid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSQwj3s8Y4s
In which disreputable rag did you read this? Joe's a good player, but third best blues rock guitarist ever? That's beyond insulting to a long list of superior players. Hell, Clapton being number 2 is beyond insulting to a long list of superior players.

Old 12-04-2017, 08:57 AM

12,386 posts, read 8,146,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
In which disreputable rag did you read this? Joe's a good player, but third best blues rock guitarist ever? That's beyond insulting to a long list of superior players. Hell, Clapton being number 2 is beyond insulting to a long list of superior players.
These things are rarely about any absolutely best but rather the personality who keep a roots music in the pop sphere. In the 60s the blues mix of Clapton when pop music was straying further from that root a decade before. In the 80s SRV bringing in a new audience due to his passion. And today Joe Bonamassa due to his long concert videos being used for PBS fund raising efforts trumping Gary Clark Jr who is now representing the blues when the pop star does a mash up and ask for a guest guitarist on a Grammy broadcast or a Super Bowl halftime show.

Last edited by Taiko; 12-04-2017 at 09:13 AM..

Old 12-04-2017, 05:13 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,802,734 times
I saw him perform several years when he opened for George Thorogood and BB King. It was a great performance and he held his own with two pros even then.

Old 12-04-2017, 10:16 PM

21,749 posts, read 28,070,632 times
Quote:
I don’t think this guy is impressive at all as a blues player. Pretty derivative soloing you can hear from dozens of other guys. Good singer/entertainer though. He’s certainly talented.

Clapton had more feel and mastery for melody. SRV had intensity.

Old 12-05-2017, 04:27 AM

Quote:
It was actually on a website called "the-top-tens'" where people can vote for their favorites. Obviously not real scientific and I didn't claim it was. But I did think it was interesting how high Joe B ranked.

Old 12-05-2017, 06:53 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,294,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
It was actually on a website called "the-top-tens'" where people can vote for their favorites. Obviously not real scientific and I didn't claim it was. But I did think it was interesting how high Joe B ranked.
I'm not familiar with that website, but as a popular vote poll, those results don't surprise me. Joe B is one of the highest profile guitarists out there these days. I was curious if it came from a guitar magazine, because that'd be suspect.

Old 12-25-2017, 05:22 PM

Merry Christmas everyone. Enjoy yet another good song by Joe B.

Christmas Boogie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWpImlU7s74
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music