U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 08:04 PM

1,080 posts, read 434,343 times

Advertisements

In the order I discovered and came to like them.

The Police. I'm more or less a lifelong fan, in that I can't remember a time when I didn't know or like them. I've always enjoyed the radio hits, and my interest only deepened when I began to explore the albums.

ZZ Top. Although it's a bit of a guilty pleasure nowadays, I'm a great fan of the Eliminator/Afterburner/Recycler period. I'm more than passing familiar with the earlier material and really dug La Futura, but more often than not I return to the albums I like best.

Cream. When another trio (the dreadful one from Seattle) took it upon themselves to kill everything I love about rock and roll, I backtracked to the 60s and decided to learn more about who influenced my favourite bands from the 70s and 80s. Clapton, Bruce and Baker loomed large and still do.

The Tea Party. Outside their native Canada, Jeff Martin and friends; biggest market is my homeland. There was a time in the mid 90s when you couldn't turn on Australia's Triple J radio without hearing something from Splendor Solis, The Edges Of Twilight or Transmission. Good times in an era which otherwise did nothing for me musically.

The Jeff Healey Band. Largely through his covers of others' songs, this man spearheaded my interest in duh blues. A gifted and passionate guitarist who left us much too soon.

The Jimi Hendrix Experience. See comments above re: Cream. What exploration of sixties blues, rock and psychedelia would be complete without at least a working knowledge of the Hendrix songbook? The three studio platters he put out in his lifetime are enough for me and, beyond the 97 reconstruction of First Rays, I can't summon much interest in the estate's near annual archive releases.

Rush. The other greatest band in the world from Canada . I first heard them when I was eight on the soundtrack to a cartoon called The Body Electric, itself inspired by their music, yet didn't listen properly until 1996 or thereabouts. Since then my fascination with them has only grown, and their vast catalogue has but two albums I can't play from front to back.

The Winery Dogs. I am no fan of Dream Theatre and am surprised I took so readily to one of their former drummer's many side projects. On reflection it's because Richie Kotzen and Billy Sheehan's combined talents are enough to help me overlook Portnoy's worst excesses, which are many.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2018, 03:33 AM

22,868 posts, read 64,909,421 times
Motörhead
Mob 47
Bud Powell
Jimmy Smith

Old 01-03-2018, 07:14 AM
JPD

11,851 posts, read 14,465,255 times
Tony Williams Lifetime
Ellington/Mingus/Roach
Red lineup of King Crimson (although they were augmented by other musicians on some tracks)
The Who when Roger Daltrey sits out
Minutemen
Firehose

Old 01-03-2018, 08:25 AM

22,868 posts, read 64,909,421 times
And Minutemen!
Thanks, JPD!

Old 01-03-2018, 08:33 AM
JPD

11,851 posts, read 14,465,255 times
Nels Cline Singers (prior to expanding into a quartet)
Sam Rivers Trio

Old 01-03-2018, 12:06 PM

362 posts, read 275,148 times
Rush, Rush, Rush, Rush and Rush

Old 01-03-2018, 12:08 PM

676 posts, read 400,073 times
SheDaisy (I miss them!)
Midland

God bless you and them always!!!

Holly

Old 01-03-2018, 12:31 PM

10,148 posts, read 13,844,113 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51N4F6FyI40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa3h3pnhg8s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixEOMB6jyEE

Old 01-03-2018, 12:57 PM

966 posts, read 942,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbles76 View Post
Cream. When another trio (the dreadful one from Seattle) took it upon themselves to kill everything I love about rock and roll, I backtracked to the 60s and decided to learn more about who influenced my favourite bands from the 70s and 80s. Clapton, Bruce and Baker loomed large and still do.

The Jimi Hendrix Experience. See comments above re: Cream. What exploration of sixties blues, rock and psychedelia would be complete without at least a working knowledge of the Hendrix songbook? The three studio platters he put out in his lifetime are enough for me and, beyond the 97 reconstruction of First Rays, I can't summon much interest in the estate's near annual archive releases.
I've said any number of times that Cream reminds me of family dinners back in the day: you can't believe a small number of boisterous Italians could make that much noise and not pass out from exhaustion. Fond memories, both of the family get-togethers and of Cream/Hendrix. Great sound. Great musicianship ("Beware of Mr Baker" is a good view on Netflix).

I'd also add Crosby, Stills & Nash to the list.

Old 01-03-2018, 01:41 PM

1,080 posts, read 434,343 times
I will add King's X, Budgie and Triumph to my list. Talk about sins of omission!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music