U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2018, 06:50 PM

1 posts, read 127 times

Advertisements

Iím thinking about signing up for violin class. My online girlfriend loves classical music and always wanted to date a musician so, I was thinking of learning the violin before we meet up for the first time in an upcoming international dating social event in a couple of months. Iíve already researched a few good music schools or local instructors who are willing to come over to my place for the lessons but the only problem is, I donít know squat about buying a violin myself. I could always ask the clerks at the music shop but Iím afraid they might sales-talk to me on getting the expensive but fragile one. I want something I can use and can withstand my noob playing for a few months and not break on me. Nothing grand but nothing too local is what Iím looking for. Musicians out here, please help me out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2018, 07:21 PM

8,977 posts, read 4,923,690 times
My son has been taking violin classes for a while now. It seems the general recommendation is to rent a beginner violin first. Once you advance far enough, you'll have a much better sense of what you want out of a violin. It is then you invest into a violin.

Fortunately for us, the music center has a great student program. Every dollar you spend renting a violin can later be used as credit when we ultimately buy a violin. The only caveat is that the rental period is contiguous and you apply the credit to a purchase the same day you decide to stop renting.

I'm not sure if that type of program is common or not, but it may be worth calling around to see what locale music stores offer.

The student violin brand my son is currently using is Yamaha. He is content but it is too early for him to say one way or another. For comfort reasons, I bought a hardwood chin rest from amazon and incrementally sanded/filed it down to his comfort (don't want to sand down the rental one). We also use Kun brand folding shoulder rest. Inexpensive bow brand that he is happy with is Fiddlerman. The bow was only $70 which is darn cheap. His teacher thought it was good for a student bow and seemed fairly impressed considering the price.

It is important for him to be as comfortable as possible while he learns.

Last edited by usayit; 04-12-2018 at 07:33 PM..

Old Yesterday, 03:06 AM

14 posts, read 1,813 times
Where are you based? Makes and models vary between different countries. What you need to do is to make sure that the violin has the best set up that you can afford. If you want to start on a cheap violin, it would be worth getting the best strings, a new bridge and a new sound post. This needs to be done by an expert. Check out violinio.com for some good reviews.

Old Today, 05:03 PM

20 posts, read 2,694 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HotrHNXwpE

Old Today, 05:13 PM

13,390 posts, read 18,020,044 times
I am a violinist and a cellist . I would suggest you go talk to a local orchestra member or several if you have a local orchestra . I have my aunts violin and it is a Stradivarius Violin not something for a beginner since this one I have is worth about 1800 dollars . If you don't have an orchestra try a music school and last but not least go to a music store that offers classes and go from there .

Old Today, 05:18 PM

7,743 posts, read 8,192,434 times
The OP hasn't been back. I would imagine sounding like a yowling cat for a couple of years did not impress his girlfriend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music