Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2018, 11:18 AM

5,705 posts, read 3,671,155 times

Advertisements

Zeppelin being one of my favorite groups, if not my favorite, I know something about there music. So, when I noticed this video of this little 8 year old Japanese girl doing a cover of Bonham's drumming on Good Times, Bad Times I thought this should be cute. Lol. Of course it is cute but she also is damn bad ass at that kit regardless of her age. A lot of things Bonham did were hard, for instance his triplets, which she pretty much nails. Anyways, these type of videos are usually cute for a quick viewing but seeing an 8 year old gleefully bang out Bonham's beat on a Zeppelin classic is pretty damn amazing. Even Robert Plant agrees after seeing her. https://www.rollingstone.com/music/v...ppelin-w521460

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cozH...=RDcozHT9QaFJo

John Bonham's drum part in Led Zeppelin's "Good Times Bad Times" is one of classic rock's most legendary grooves. And, thanks to the skipping kick-drum part in the verse, one of the trickiest to pull off. That's just one reason we're so impressed with the above video of eight-year-old drummer Yoyoka Soma.

The young Japanese prodigy has been at it since age two, and now plays in a family band. She effortlessly nails the entire Zeppelin song (watch her foot at the 25-second mark), complete with stylish cowbell flair.

The Internet is teeming with cover videos, many of them by kids like Soma. But there's something special about this one, which was originally a submission to the Hit Like a Girl drumming contest. It's not just the accuracy of the performance; it's her loping, laid-back approach, which is not only Bonham's greatest contribution to rock percussion – it's the hardest part of his style to imitate.

And then there's the glee. Watching Soma whip around the kit during the chorus, you can feel the joy and abandon pouring out of her. This goes beyond "cute kid playing drums" and touches on something surprisingly transcendent.

And if you'd like to know a bit more about why Bonham was an amazing drummer, you can take a look at this quick breakdown of what made him amazing. And the first song he talks about is, yep, Good Times, Bad Times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvOm2oZRQIk

Last edited by biggunsmallbrains; 06-27-2018 at 11:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music