U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-02-2008, 01:30 PM
 
Location: Des Moines, IA
1,744 posts, read 4,932,980 times
Reputation: 1156

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
By genre do you mean racist hardcore? I just can't listen to that no matter how good the bands may be. I'm not accusing people who appreciate that stuff of being racist themselves and I listen to plenty of music with various types of offensive lyrics. But I draw the line at white supremacy - it just makes me feel too angry and ill to really listen.

Yes.

I heard some of the same sentiments with Green Day, but to me it seemed like most people wanted to be able to say "I kinda liked Kerplunk! and that first album but they suck now". I hate to say it, but I think Green Day's newer material suits them pretty well. Operation Ivy was sweet and another one of my all-time favorites. I had a dubbed cassette of "energy" when I was younger and listened to it all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-02-2008, 01:51 PM
 
2,955 posts, read 4,949,208 times
Reputation: 1868
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rhino View Post
I heard some of the same sentiments with Green Day, but to me it seemed like most people wanted to be able to say "I kinda liked Kerplunk! and that first album but they suck now". I hate to say it, but I think Green Day's newer material suits them pretty well. Operation Ivy was sweet and another one of my all-time favorites. I had a dubbed cassette of "energy" when I was younger and listened to it all the time.
It's an interesting phenomenon. I saw it happen with Nirvana back when I was in high school. And, yes, I do consider Nirvana a punk band - grunge didn't exist when they started making music.
There was a lot of "Bleach is a great record but what is this Top-40 crap they're putting out now?" when I knew damn well that most had not heard Bleach until after Nevermind hit the charts.

And, yeah, Operation Ivy is one of the all-time greats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2008, 02:08 PM
 
Location: Des Moines, IA
1,744 posts, read 4,932,980 times
Reputation: 1156
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
It's an interesting phenomenon. I saw it happen with Nirvana back when I was in high school. And, yes, I do consider Nirvana a punk band - grunge didn't exist when they started making music.
There was a lot of "Bleach is a great record but what is this Top-40 crap they're putting out now?" when I knew damn well that most had not heard Bleach until after Nevermind hit the charts.

.

I'm going to agree with you about Nirvana. As far as what I saw in the early 90's (which honestly wasn't much, I'm not that old), bands like that seemed to more accurately reflect the punk scene around here than anything, the Chuck Taylor and ringer t-shirt crowd who would've been into the Ramones, Sonic Youth and the Sub-Pop bands.

Nirvana's "Unplugged" is such a great album. I've only recently dropped my "I'm too cool to like Nirvana" sentiment and got into it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2008, 02:39 PM
 
2,955 posts, read 4,949,208 times
Reputation: 1868
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rhino View Post
Nirvana's "Unplugged" is such a great album. I've only recently dropped my "I'm too cool to like Nirvana" sentiment and got into it.
Nirvana: Unplugged is a piece of gold. Even after I was way too sick of Nirvana, I could still listen to that. I watched the performance when it was first broadcast on MTV and was glued to my TV.

BTW - for reference, I graduated high school in 1992 so I was one of the melancholy "generation X" teenagers watching the Nirvana craze unfold in front of me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2008, 04:09 PM
 
Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 2,683,800 times
Reputation: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by another_hot-day View Post
When Ian Stewart was assinated they kinda.... ended..
He died in a car wreck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2008, 04:12 PM
 
Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 2,683,800 times
Reputation: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
By genre do you mean racist hardcore? I just can't listen to that no matter how good the bands may be. I'm not accusing people who appreciate that stuff of being racist themselves and I listen to plenty of music with various types of offensive lyrics. But I draw the line at white supremacy - it just makes me feel too angry and ill to really listen.
Thats fine to feel that way, the same way alotta rap makes me angry at its racist content against white people that goes without question. But there are a lot of talented musicians in the White power punk/hardcore punk genre, and i suspect some of them just use it as a gimmick lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2008, 04:37 PM
 
Location: Des Moines, IA
1,744 posts, read 4,932,980 times
Reputation: 1156
Quote:
Originally Posted by The A-Team View Post
He died in a car wreck

Yup. MDC has a song entitled "Nazis Shouldn't Drive" or something like that about it.


There was a theory going around that the MI5 and/or the Israeli Mossad landed a helicopter on the highway to cause Ian Stuart to swerve off the road. I don't think he drank or was known to be drunk at the time and according to some accounts, the weather was just fine that night. Things that make you go "hmmm...".

B. Frank - I graduated high school in 1999. I guess that puts me around/amongst the impressionable young kids when bands like Rancid, Green Day and The Offspring got some fame in the mid 90's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2008, 09:44 AM
 
Location: Austin, TX
1,902 posts, read 2,990,785 times
Reputation: 1116
Quote:
Originally Posted by The A-Team View Post
He died in a car wreck
Not what I heard


A British oi! band founded in the city of Blackpool in the year !977. Headed by Ian Stuart Donaldson (rip), the band emerged as having blue collar, working class ethics and very soon, aligned themselves with The Nationalist movement in Britain.
Donanldson, considered by many to father this movement, was killed in a suspected assassination plot in 1993. His legacy lives on in the hearts and minds of more people than you think.

I guess I interpreted assination as something else....

Last edited by another_hot-day; 04-03-2008 at 09:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2008, 09:49 AM
 
Location: Austin, TX
1,902 posts, read 2,990,785 times
Reputation: 1116
Quote:
Originally Posted by The A-Team View Post
Thats fine to feel that way, the same way alotta rap makes me angry at its racist content against white people that goes without question. But there are a lot of talented musicians in the White power punk/hardcore punk genre, and i suspect some of them just use it as a gimmick lol.

Well said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2008, 03:19 AM
 
25,285 posts, read 11,424,725 times
Reputation: 29186
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINCOLNSHIRE View Post
You Want Punk?????????//////////////////

Punk Bands - A-Z Full List of Punk Rock Bands Featured On Punk77

Now Listen!!!
They left one of my favorites off the list!!

SUB
HUM
ANS
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff275/redbird4848/SubhumansEPLP.jpg (broken link)

Lots of memories from those days. We saw Ramones open up for Black Sabbath back in 79. We used to go to gigs around L.A. Anyone remember Roz from Christian Death?
I still have the drum stick from when I saw Public Image with Johnny Lydon. The drummer threw his drum sticks after the encore. Johnny Rotten had more stage persona than anyone I have ever seen. He was great.
Very cool band.
Then again, there's The Cramps, but they are more rockabilly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top