Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2018, 08:24 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,369,714 times

Advertisements

Is age 10 too young to start voice lessons?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2018, 09:41 AM

15,145 posts, read 14,324,147 times
Pretty good advice here. Sounds like 10 is about right. Rock on.
https://takelessons.com/blog/when-to...ce-lessons-z02

Old 12-05-2018, 10:39 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,369,714 times
OK.

That conflicts with what some voice teachers have told me. They've said wait til she's 13 or 14. The voice hasn't changed yet.

Old 12-06-2018, 06:39 AM

12,952 posts, read 13,663,665 times
It's never too young to teach them certain skills and they will be learning a repertoire. Skills like Standing up straight, breathing, forming good consonants and vowels can be taught. Things that take place in the mouth rather than the throat would be okay.

Old 12-06-2018, 06:46 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,305,920 times
And maybe you can avoid the through the nose duck quack voice affected by so many today. Learning how to breathe from the diaphragm will promote a natural sounding pleasant well modulated voice.

Old 12-06-2018, 05:45 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,415,987 times
I would suggest a bel canto teacher. It doesn’t matter what style she’ll eventually want to sing in. A good teacher can make sure she isn’t “ over trained” in case she doesn’t want to sing only classical music.

A voice can be ruined by poor technique. I’ve heard horror stories of people who were on their way to becoming professionals but their voices were ruined.

There are many who think serious voice studies shouldn’t begin until around 16. Kids who try to sound like big-voiced adults ( and some succeed) are probably not doing themselves any favors. My teacher has said that the damage often comes from pushing kids to sound too mature- they’re kids!!! As another poster said, learning breathing and diction is appropriate.

Lady Gaga started at 9.

The Breathing Gym videos are fun:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qEz0ku...5&index=2&t=0s

I didn’t start bel canto until my 20s and then sang rock for a few years. Now after a million year stretch I’m back to bel canto.

Do her a favor that I wish was done for me: combine the voice lessons with piano lessons and ear training and some theory. She only has to know enough to accompany herself. It helps tremendously . It’s the best time for her to start picking that up.

Last edited by ByeByeLW; 12-06-2018 at 06:01 PM..

Old 12-07-2018, 06:33 AM

12,952 posts, read 13,663,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
I would suggest a bel canto teacher. It doesn’t matter what style she’ll eventually want to sing in. A good teacher can make sure she isn’t “ over trained” in case she doesn’t want to sing only classical music.

A voice can be ruined by poor technique. I’ve heard horror stories of people who were on their way to becoming professionals but their voices were ruined.

There are many who think serious voice studies shouldn’t begin until around 16. Kids who try to sound like big-voiced adults ( and some succeed) are probably not doing themselves any favors. My teacher has said that the damage often comes from pushing kids to sound too mature- they’re kids!!! As another poster said, learning breathing and diction is appropriate.

Lady Gaga started at 9.

The Breathing Gym videos are fun:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qEz0ku...5&index=2&t=0s

I didn’t start bel canto until my 20s and then sang rock for a few years. Now after a million year stretch I’m back to bel canto.

Do her a favor that I wish was done for me: combine the voice lessons with piano lessons and ear training and some theory. She only has to know enough to accompany herself. It helps tremendously . It’s the best time for her to start picking that up.
I concur about piano lessons and 10 is the perfect age to start. One cannot overstate the importance of piano for any young person who wants to grow up and be musical in any genre or on any instrument. If you are inclined to have her go into popular music, dance class would also be a consideration. I have heard of people who have great voices, they know all they repertoire frontwards and backwards and could probably have gone into musical theater or opera on some level, but they lack the ability to move on the stage.

Old 12-07-2018, 10:17 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,415,987 times
Exactly. And a little acting wouldn’t hurt , either.

My teacher has many young students and she will split classes between voice and piano/ theory.

So, if your 10 year old gets all these basics down she’ll really be ready to fly when her voice matures.

Old 12-12-2018, 05:04 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,137,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Is age 10 too young to start voice lessons?
Kind of, yes. Fine for glee club. A great time to start with music lessons, like piano lessons.

But for serious voice lessons, you might wait until around the age of 16.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music