Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 10:22 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,826,722 times

Advertisements

Singing and songwriting are two separate talents.

Joe Cocker for example is a master interpreter of other people's material.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2019, 01:17 PM

88,139 posts, read 83,978,350 times
Sometimes it works out best that way. Elton and Bernie.

Old 01-07-2019, 01:18 PM

20,366 posts, read 4,276,077 times
Quote:
Do you think less of a musician who doesn't write their own stuff?
No. It's the musicians that use more "technology" to sound better than they actually are.

If the song is good. it's good.

Studio Recording: Mic/Speakers/amps, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZsnWiqcDwA

Unplugged Recording: Mic/Speakers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Qgs8KPSzAc

A thread like this can't be without one of the best Singer/song writers: Brian Wilson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y-0nWVdBH4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l71pbhqnvNM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a4YupnT1sM

Old 01-07-2019, 02:59 PM

1,584 posts, read 971,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I'll be honest that I do think less of artists who don't write their own stuff. I can think they are great singers, but I like the ones who write their own stuff because they can get across better most times what they are trying to convey. That's why there is no question in my mind that The Beatles are worlds better than Elvis, for example.
Not sold here. For starters, rock and roll likely wouldn’t have been nearly the big deal it became without Elvis. And I’m thinking no Elvis, no Beatles.

Love and respect both of these acts, BTW.

Old 01-08-2019, 04:25 AM
Status: "A solution in search of a problem" (set 20 days ago)

34,537 posts, read 16,599,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I'll be honest that I do think less of artists who don't write their own stuff. I can think they are great singers, but I like the ones who write their own stuff because they can get across better most times what they are trying to convey. That's why there is no question in my mind that The Beatles are worlds better than Elvis, for example.
Not sold here. For starters, rock and roll likely wouldn’t have been nearly the big deal it became without Elvis. And I’m thinking no Elvis, no Beatles.

Love and respect both of these acts, BTW.
I didn't particularly like Elvis, except for a few songs such as "Jailhouse Rock", "In the Ghetto" and "Suspicious Minds." That being said I grudgingly agree with "Joe the Photog" for two main reasons:
  1. He largely invented a genre of mixing country, blues and other "Negro music" and even swing, creating an at-the-time weird mish-mash that became Rock-'n-Roll.
  2. He made the genre accessible to a wide audience, much the way Harry Belafonte brought calypso to general audiences, eventually paving the way for the popularity of reggae.
I have my doubts that people can jump right into new tastes without being primed. While I would never make Elvis records or CD's a daily listening diet, I do spin Bob Marley (or listen to his MP3's) quite a bit. And as I pointed out, some groups can reinvent a song, such as UB 40 did with Red Red Wine.

Old 01-08-2019, 04:42 AM

71 posts, read 37,385 times
Yes.

Absolutely.

100%.

Old 01-08-2019, 06:25 AM

12,898 posts, read 13,566,665 times
Song writing is not the art that it used to be. Mostly because the public's taste in music has changed. Taylor Swift has written some pretty lame songs. IMO most country songwriters are being pushed into writing the same song over and over again. The era of popular song writing ended around the time of Becker/ Fagan and Hall and Oats. They were among the last people to go to work every day, sit at a desk and write songs for a label.

Singers write their own material today because the royalties are higher not because they can write. I have great respect for a great singer who knows there are people out there who are as good at writing hits songs as they are singing them. I think we are in an era where the producer is the king maker and not the singer or the song writer.

Old 01-08-2019, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Song writing is not the art that it used to be. Taylor Swift has written some pretty lame songs.
You mean Max Martin? Shut up, grandpa. God I hate you. You got zero idea what you're talking about.

Last edited by Weaponized_Funk; 01-08-2019 at 06:56 AM..

Old 01-08-2019, 06:31 AM

You know who writes their own songs these days?

Yeah, every prog rock/metal artist ever.

Yeah... perpetually available to all you trashfire whiners who complain about pop music. Push play you lazy f*ks. I'm so tired of you bitchasswhiners. Use your Google-Fu and find original music. Good god, you're all too stupid to find good music or care. Just die if you're that ignorant. Please.

Last edited by Weaponized_Funk; 01-08-2019 at 07:00 AM..

Old 01-08-2019, 06:48 AM

507 posts, read 455,654 times
I don't think less of a musician if they don't write their songs, but I do think MORE of them if they do AND play an instrument. The problem is with writing songs, from my understanding, even if you write a sentence and someone else writes the majority, you would still be listed as a song writer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music