U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 10:50 AM

7,720 posts, read 19,110,242 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious on the issue, I'm really not impressed with artist who only sing now I know their are artist that do both and even some of the greats use other peoples songs but when 99% of your music is written by someone else it's kinda turn off.

Thoughts? BTW nowadays it seems like most artist just pay someone to write their songs. I guess it also matters that well, if Celine Dion sings other people's songs that wouldn't bother me as much as say if the Eagles of the Doors didn't write any of their own music. I see Celine Dion more as a singer than a artist so her gift is singing not song writing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2019, 11:55 AM

3,413 posts, read 1,798,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I'm just curious on the issue, I'm really not impressed with artist who only sing now I know their are artist that do both and even some of the greats use other peoples songs but when 99% of your music is written by someone else it's kinda turn off.

Thoughts? BTW nowadays it seems like most artist just pay someone to write their songs. I guess it also matters that well, if Celine Dion sings other people's songs that wouldn't bother me as much as say if the Eagles of the Doors didn't write any of their own music. I see Celine Dion more as a singer than a artist so her gift is singing not song writing.
I thought it's the opposite. My observation is internet gave rise to many singer songwriters. They are just not popular (yet).

My answer is no. Great voices are what they are no matter if they sing other people's songs, because let's face it, many composers could not sing.

Old 01-01-2019, 12:01 PM

3,086 posts, read 794,105 times
I'm a musician. I mostly don't write my own stuff. I don't think less of me. I do however personalize the songs I play. When I'm playing and singing a Beatles song, you are not going to confuse me with John, Paul, George or Ringo.

Old 01-02-2019, 08:08 AM
JPD

12,040 posts, read 14,683,526 times
Depends. If it's a band, I want them to write their own material. If it's a singer, I don't really care.

Old 01-02-2019, 12:39 PM

23,151 posts, read 65,201,456 times
Quote:

Many artists has had music written for them through history.

Old 01-02-2019, 02:33 PM

20,023 posts, read 4,243,342 times
No I don't think less...

but those who do write their own, well they are putting their lives right out in front of the world. There is something attractive about being honest, sharing your feelings with others.

Old 01-02-2019, 03:12 PM

13,926 posts, read 5,501,537 times
Quote:

In general I agree with you. But the world has space for:
  1. Art Garfunkel;
  2. Linda Ronstadt;
  3. Paul Robeson;
  4. Aretha Franklin;
  5. Barbara Streisand; and
  6. Three Dog Night;
Among others.

Old 01-06-2019, 03:48 PM

124 posts, read 23,752 times
Quote:

Why would I think less of a musician who does not write what they perform?

Lots of lead singers in bands don't write the music to the songs they sing. Sometimes they don't even write the lyrics. For example, Pete Townsend mostly wrote the Who's lyrics. Freddie Mercury, while a prolific writer, nonetheless often sang songs written by the other band members - exs: Fat Bottomed Girls (written by Brian May) and I Want to Break Free (written by John Deacon). Should I give Brian May more credence as a guitarist because he built (with some help from his dad) his guitar? If a singer's artistry is singing, I don't expect them to do other things. They might, but it's not an expectation, just like I don't necessarily expect guitarists to sing songs, or cellists to compose concertos.

Besides, I can think of so many songs where my preferred version is a cover. Just a few:
Respect (Aretha Franklin)
Stand By Me (John Lennon)
Police and Thieves (The Clash)
Morning Dew (The Grateful Dead)
All Along the Watchtower (Jimi Hendrix)
Helter Skelter (Siouxsie and the Banshees)

Music is very often a collaborative effort. The production of recorded music almost always is.

Old 01-07-2019, 07:18 AM
Status: "Never trust an atom. They make up everything." (set 2 days ago)

6,137 posts, read 3,946,246 times
I'll be honest that I do think less of artists who don't write their own stuff. I can think they are great singers, but I like the ones who write their own stuff because they can get across better most times what they are trying to convey. That's why there is no question in my mind that The Beatles are worlds better than Elvis, for example.

Old 01-07-2019, 10:48 AM

13,926 posts, read 5,501,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I'll be honest that I do think less of artists who don't write their own stuff. I can think they are great singers, but I like the ones who write their own stuff because they can get across better most times what they are trying to convey. That's why there is no question in my mind that The Beatles are worlds better than Elvis, for example.
In general you are right. But what about a song like "Red Red Wine" that was a beautiful but languorous Neil Diamond ballad and basically reinvented as an anthem of the reggae genre by UB40?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXt56MB-3vc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or