U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 04:20 PM

86 posts, read 17,363 times

Advertisements

And 99 percent of the rap I hear blaring from cars sounds terrible. I don't get it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2019, 10:57 AM

3,334 posts, read 4,185,345 times
On the question of "isn't the canvas full now?"--

I personally hate almost all of it, but at the same time, I do hear continuing changes in the genre. There is an awful lot that sounds the same, but I would say that in the last decade (maybe) hip-hop has become a lot more open to weirdness of various sorts. Exhibit A (maybe the video is weirder than the music, but the whole conception of a series of very short trap tracks of this sort, is different):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOTebhPy04g

I hear quite a bit of experiment going on in hip-hop right now. Sample some of the rap on this year end list, for instance, and tell me it all sounds exactly the same as what's coming out of passing cars. I doubt it:

https://noisey.vice.com/en_us/articl...albums-of-2018

I even have a couple hip-hop albums from this year saved (just on Spotify--I didn't buy them) for me to ostensibly check out later. (We'll see if that happens.)

I must be in a real devil's advocate mood this morning, because I really have no time for rap. I don't even love Kendrick Lamar. But it would be dishonest for me to deny I hear a lot of change happening in the genre. I'm just not really into having all those words come at me so quickly in my music. I don't generally find that what's being said in rap (including all that conscious underground rap or whatever) is worth my attention.

Old 01-06-2019, 04:29 AM

71 posts, read 15,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merriman80 View Post
And 99 percent of the rap I hear blaring from cars sounds terrible. I don't get it

Music blaring from cars has always sounded terrible. Don't blame hip hop.

Old 01-06-2019, 08:16 AM

3,728 posts, read 2,442,800 times
Hip hop is the most popular genre and has been for a minute now. Probably because of its inclusivity relative to many of the other genres, and I'm talking inclusivity in both a stylistic and demographic sense. No other genre was this inclusive...

Rock and pop subgenres have been incorporating hip hop elements for probably a decade and a half, and even country has dabbled with hip hop sounds...

I'm not a fan if much of the newer, current hip hop, but its influence us undeniable. It's okay if someone doesn't like it, but there is an infinite amount of excellent hip hop, it's just that if the sound generally doesn't interest you, you wont be able to (or around for) hear the best stuff amongst the garbage...

Though for the record, there is a ton of weak rock and everything else, so bad music certainly isn't exclusive to hip hop...

Old 01-07-2019, 11:54 AM

2,230 posts, read 919,338 times
Well, they have "chill-hop" now.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Rhomn5Um9dg

Old 01-07-2019, 12:12 PM

1,241 posts, read 445,077 times
I don't know but I wish it would go away. That disgusting trap music has taken over and ruined the genre. Every time someone pulls up next to me in traffic and trap is blaring from their speakers, I roll my windows up. Let them get offended. I don't care. I hate that garbage.

Old 01-07-2019, 12:26 PM
JPD

12,106 posts, read 14,710,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post

Rock and pop subgenres have been incorporating hip hop elements for probably a decade and a half, and even country has dabbled with hip hop sounds.
Rock and pop have been incorporating hip hop elements since the 70s.

Old 01-08-2019, 05:58 AM

71 posts, read 15,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty in black View Post
I don't know but I wish it would go away. That disgusting trap music has taken over and ruined the genre. Every time someone pulls up next to me in traffic and trap is blaring from their speakers, I roll my windows up. Let them get offended. I don't care. I hate that garbage.
Not all hip hop sucks, though. I blast dope stuff in my crap car to compensate when I can:

Old 01-08-2019, 03:32 PM

1,262 posts, read 935,119 times
It isn't going away, as it way too engrained in the mainstream to really ever go away. I am not a fan, as the lyrics to some of the music is just vile and it seems to be loved by the dregs of society.

As for it's popularity, hip hop artists are at least willing to experiment with different sounds and use studio technology to produce a variety of sounds. I am more of a rock fan but even I am willing to admit that rock bands have struggled to break out of the traditional boundaries of rock music.

Old 01-10-2019, 07:41 AM

7,957 posts, read 5,815,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty in black View Post
Thank you....best post of the thread and, really, all that need be said. It's garbage....and I have walked out on movies that feature it. It set the tone for the disaster that the first "new" Star Trek movie was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or