Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 12:59 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,386,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
There are a few rock songs that just destroyed everything around them and this seems like one to me.

I can't imagine being a teenager and hearing this back then. I think I'd have lost my mind. Loved this song since I was a little kid and heard it on oldies radio in the 80's.

Seems to me there's just nothing else in the same ballpark as that song at that time.
Oh yeah. I was there. Those were the days. Everything coming out was a new technique, a never before done sound. Each unique. Some of my faves of that era are Santana, Jimi Hendrix, David Bowie. I listen to 60s and 70s music most of all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2019, 08:01 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,294,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
It turned out to be Van Halen's version of You Really Got Me.
I was a big Van Halen fan as a kid, before I ever heard anything by the Kinks. Eddie and Alex Van Halen's virtuosity and DLR's showmanship was so wild to me, and I was hooked. I still love Van Halen. But I remember the exact moment when I first heard the Kinks/You Really Got Me. I was knocked backwards by how much power and attitude a band can get across with extremely simple playing. It changed how I hear music, and what I want to hear from music. Not that I don't like the occasional show of virtuosity. But, it's probably a major reason why I was never a big fan of metal and other types of music with lots of unnecessary notes.

Old 01-18-2019, 08:50 AM

55 posts, read 25,946 times
A couple of great songs by Kinks. Enjoy folks...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyyQaDK738Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPPCPqDINEk

Old 01-18-2019, 09:06 AM

55 posts, read 25,946 times
A Canadian cover of "Yes Sir, No Sir.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqPgLk6hxGk

Old 01-18-2019, 09:10 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
I bought the 45 and drove my parents nuts playing it over and over as loud as possible.

Good times.

Old 01-18-2019, 11:23 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,294,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by America Forever View Post
Did the Kinks ever perform in the redneck southern states (below Mason-Dixon). I think they skipped those backward states.
Maybe not in the '60s, but by the mid '70s they were touring all over the US.

Old 01-18-2019, 12:50 PM

7,379 posts, read 12,668,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
My sister and I went to the 1965 Summer Spectacular at the Seattle Center Colleseum featuring The Kinks along with the Righteous Brothers and Jan and Dean among others. Iirc, we had nosebleed seats. $6 tickets. We also saw The Rolling Stones there during that era.
Yep, that's me, too. Not in Seattle, but I saw the Kinks in 1965, plus the Rolling Stones. Beatles in 1964 (chaperoned, because I was too young to go out with friends). The Yardbirds in 1966, in a small club with room for about 50 people! The Animals in 1966, too. The Doors in 1968. And many more--that's what my allowance went toward: rock concert tickets! And I still have the ticket stubs!

You Really Got Me did have a profound impact on me, too, but no more than my favorite Beatles or Rolling Stones tunes. I'd say it was my favorite Kinks tune, and still is. But I also liked See My Friends, Waterloo Sunset, and Well Respected Man (I was such a rebel! My dad asked, What's wrong with having a job and being well dressed? And I answered, Oh Daaaaad! ). I was in Swinging London for a while back in the 1960s, and the Kinks were very big. I remember standing on Waterloo Bridge, and humming Waterloo Sunset.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCSzxkbMri8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_MqfF0WBsU
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music