U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2019, 05:33 PM

665 posts, read 259,970 times

Advertisements

Dude please! Just stop already!

I just had this conversation with a friend a month or two ago and we had a good chuckle.

I paid $17.50 for a McCartney concert in 1976. Fast forward 40+ years and people are willing to pay $500 for a voice that couldn't hit a high note if his life depended on it and a very subpar concert compared to what I saw for 3 1/2% of the cost. Would I expect any better at 76...no.

Yeah, I know it's this nostalgia thing, but it still amazes me. Musicians are not like fine wine. They do not get better with time. His picture makes it seem like he'll need a walker to get on stage. Whatever. Knock yourself out if you want to pay it. It's your money.

Last edited by JJonesIII; 01-17-2019 at 06:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2019, 03:27 PM

427 posts, read 185,648 times
He is a part of the 1960s and 1970s. He is a legend. People pay not for his today's voice but for his voice from 1976.

Old 01-18-2019, 03:47 PM

21 posts, read 1,531 times
Good question. I think it is mainly southern republicans who like oldies. People like to hear the new Lynyrd Skynyrd playing the same old racist songs, over and over.

Old 01-18-2019, 03:49 PM

1,527 posts, read 1,634,217 times
nostalgia.

Old 01-18-2019, 04:17 PM

13,681 posts, read 12,577,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by America Forever View Post
Good question. I think it is mainly southern republicans who like oldies. People like to hear the new Lynyrd Skynyrd playing the same old racist songs, over and over.

Old 01-18-2019, 10:46 PM

1,414 posts, read 1,304,608 times
Paul put on a really good show in 2002. I sure don't regret that one.

King Crimson were *awesome* live in 2014, dinosaurs or not. (as one of their songs proclaims)

Old Yesterday, 12:54 PM

687 posts, read 409,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by good_deal_maker View Post
He is a part of the 1960s and 1970s. He is a legend. People pay not for his today's voice but for his voice from 1976.
They do realize though that the 1976 voice will sadly be absolutely no where to be found, right? One of my most favorite male singers went through two or three voice changes, Billy Joe Royal that is. Before his going forward, his voice didn't sound anything like his earlier singing.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Old Today, 02:55 AM

665 posts, read 259,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averysgore View Post

King Crimson were *awesome* live in 2014, dinosaurs or not. (as one of their songs proclaims)
That was 17 years ago. He wasn't 76 then.

Old Today, 06:07 AM

10,387 posts, read 3,532,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by America Forever View Post
Really? You've turned this into a political thing, when for every Lynyrd Skynyrd fan, there are 10 liberals who would pay huge money for: Paul McCartney, The Rolling Stones, Billy Joel, Elton John, and a host of others. Lynyrd Skynyrd sucks by the way. I wouldn't watch Lynryd Skynryd if they were playing across the street for free.

Old Today, 06:24 AM

1,868 posts, read 678,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJonesIII View Post
Dude please! Just stop already!

I just had this conversation with a friend a month or two ago and we had a good chuckle.

I paid $17.50 for a McCartney concert in 1976.
Fast forward 40+ years and people are willing to pay $500 for a voice that couldn't hit a high note if his life depended on it and a very subpar concert compared to what I saw for 3 1/2% of the cost. Would I expect any better at 76...no.

Yeah, I know it's this nostalgia thing, but it still amazes me. Musicians are not like fine wine. They do not get better with time. His picture makes it seem like he'll need a walker to get on stage. Whatever. Knock yourself out if you want to pay it. It's your money.
Wow.

You're so much better than everyone who wants to see McCartney now.

You know, people don't go to concerts for sound quality. You get that from high-end equipment. You see a show for the energy, the performance (which far transcends sound) and the shared experience of the crowd.

And, in some cases, people appear to go to shows solely so that in the future they can brag "Ha! I saw So-And-So decades ago, you clowns!". Also, it probably eludes you that while you were watching McCartney and Wings in 1976 with a period sound system in some hockey arena with abominable acoustics, the overall sound you were getting was crappier than what someone seeing McCartney now is getting, to say nothing of people in 1976 who chose to see artists who played in smaller venues actually designed with sound dynamics in mind.

PS - 3 1/2% of the cost? Absolutely not. The nominal price, yes, but not the cost (hint: it's called inflation) .

Quote:
Originally Posted by averysgore View Post

Yes.

I saw Springsteen into his 60s and Roger Waters at age 69 and they put on amazing shows. That their voices were not the same as in the 1970s doesn't change that fact. Anyway, since I don't have access to a time machine, it wasn't like I had a choice whether to see Roger in 1972 or Pink Floyd in 1972. The whole "Anyone who buys this product today is wrong because there was once a better version on the market than can no longer be had" notion is spouted by people who apparently don't understand basic logic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or