U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 06:21 AM

2,086 posts, read 6,810,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
LOL!!! I feel your pain. I was in high school & college in the 80s so I do like 80s music.... every now and then. But not constantly like I've been exposed to here!!! There have been previous posts about local radio stations being afflicted by the 80s so I won't go there. But I know Snowpea knows what I'm talking about.

BTW, someone said that the 80s have been hot for the last 10 years. While that might be true here. In some places the 80s died in Dec of 89. And low and behold there is 18 years of "new" music to prove it.
I haven't listened to those radio stations here I guess, since I mainly listen to 88.1, NPR and the Shaw University station if I'm listening to the radio. I could see where one station that plays 80s music as their main playlist is probably not going to be a good one. I'm thinking they lean more to the bubble gum pop and 'annoyingly catchy' songs than the true 80s gems.

As for the decade not dying, I didn't live here, but grew up in Miami. The 80s have definitely been cool since at least '98 there, with special themed nights at dance clubs, and such. However, it was much more underground and on the Depeche Mode, Smiths, Pixies, etc. side than it has become lately (mainly the 'weird' kids who eventually became the creative class as adults).

Never did I say that 80s music has been the only music around for the past 10 years, just that certain circles have continued to keep it on their cool list and now the mainstream is finally catching on, just a little late and in a faddish way, as is typical for the mainstream. Hence the Belinda Carlisle marathons on the radio.

I am with you when it comes to 80s fashion, though. There really is no need to bring back most of the styles that actually have been resurrected lately. I had my fill of gawdy plastic bangles and leg warmers when I was a kid!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 07:40 AM

2,549 posts, read 6,156,279 times
Saw an ad in the Independent for an August 10th show at Walnut Creek with Journey, Heart and Cheap Trick. That overlaps 70s and 80s. I'd like to see Cheap Trick again. Have seen them numerous times over the years (most recently in Vegas for New Years 2 years ago) and it is always a fun show. I've seen Heart before, from the front row even, but that was about 150 lbs ago for Ann Wilson and it just wouldn't be the same. Never a Journey fan.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:44 AM

460 posts, read 1,123,749 times
Have to admit to watching Idol Gives Back last night. And have to say that Heart with Fergie joining them for Barracuda was very good.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:54 AM

1,928 posts, read 3,111,720 times

It figures. I find out nine months too late that I should have moved to the hot-bed 80's Triangle instead of the Triad.

I'm in my 50's and grew up listened to the 60's and 70's music. I was totally excited when MTV came on the air. I could finally see what all these singers looked like! Although I will admit Boy George had me for a few days.

My 32 year old daughter and 28 year old son grew up on the 80's music and I was probably the only mother that let their kids watch MTV. (It was pretty tame and yes I did screen the videos first.) And that is one of our special bonds. At my son's wedding in June, the kids and I danced to my favorite 80's hit-Mexican Radio by Wall of Voodoo. Just the three of us out there singing and dancing our hearts out. A neat moment for us although most of the people were totally confused. Last month at my daughter's wedding the three of us again led the way by dancing the Safety Dance. And by that time the wine had flowed and we had a floor full of Safety Dancers.

And I am still missing some of my 80's CD's. Give em back kids. You both have I-tunes!

IMO-Journey with Steve Perry. The best. Heck. I would go to Raleigh for that one.

Major highlight regarding concerts: Bruce Springsteen in Miami on the tour before this one. I went with my daughter and her then boyfriend. We were behind the stage. No hardship there looking at Bruce shake his booty. We were Dancing in the Dark when he called an old friend on the stage. BONO. Two hunks for the price of one. I didn't think I could still jump up and down and scream but boy, the both of us did. Ryan (the boyfriend) mysteriously disappeared to the men's room for awhile until we calmed down. Needless to say, we were not alone in the jumping and screaming department. Had to apologize to all the girls of the sixties who screamed at the Beatles. I thought then that was so lame. Sorry again girls. Now I know why you did it!

Am now going to put Weather Channel on to get multitute of 80's music out of my head.

Great thread guys. Alot of fun.

Last edited by Catrick; 04-10-2008 at 09:07 AM.. Reason: too much music in my old head.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:48 AM

2,937 posts, read 2,914,362 times
Wow...that list of songs from the 80s was definitely a trip back to childhood, seeing that I started the 80s at 5 years old, and ended them at 15.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:55 AM

22,974 posts, read 57,260,296 times
I know now jobs at the RTP and IT, and bio is what the main source for jobs

What was the triangle like in the 80's?

Old 04-10-2008, 09:58 AM

2,937 posts, read 2,914,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post

A lot more peaceful, I would guess.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:19 AM

149 posts, read 464,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post

\

more open land

fewer shopping centers

fewer (if any) cookie cutter neighborhoods

less restrictive HOA's (not to mention fewer)

Old 04-12-2008, 12:26 AM

10,323 posts, read 18,678,244 times
Quote:
What was the triangle like in the '80s?
Millbrook Road was still the edge of town for North Raleigh, at least in the early 80s. Beyond that, it was very sparse--I remember working at that shopping center at Strickland/Six Forks and it was the "middle of nowhere", in 1983. 40 didn't go all the way to Chapel Hill until 1987 (you used to stop at Davis Dr; after that; it only went right to become what's now the Durham Freeway) nor to Wilmington until 1990. 1987 was also the year that RDU became an American Hub and an "International" airport.

North Hills was still a mall, of course, and Crabtree Valley had not been renovated yet, meaning that it was only two "segments" instead of three--Sears was the anchor store where the second "crossing" area (including Sears) is now, and that was the end of Crabtree; that part that goes down to Macy's wasn't there. No Southpoint or Triangle Towne Center.

The Dean Dome didn't get built at UNC until 1985; before that, all of the big games were played in Carmichael. Cameron Village was still mostly the old red brick buildings with second-level parking decks, not what it is now.

The downtown skyline didn't have the two tall buildings we have now- both of those came in 1991. The old BB&T building was the tallest building downtown (333 Corporate Plaza, right next to the Belk buildling)

Traffic was much, MUCH slower, but the roads were also smaller--Six Forks was two-lane; Millbrook stopped just past Sanderson High School (what's now Millbrook west used to be Shelley/Leesville). The Beltline wasn't even a full circle until 1983.

Old 04-12-2008, 09:40 AM

2,549 posts, read 6,156,279 times
I'd have put the edge of North Raleigh a bit further out., to Spring Forest or Strickland. On Falls, for instance, you had North Ridge out there as a very large neighborhood and the area just in from that was built up.

One thing I remember about the 80s in Raleigh was how few good restaurants there were. And not much nightlife. Outside of the area near NC State, the night clubs tended to be in hotels. And bars at somewhere like Tripps were the norm. There were a few exceptions - the area around the Longbranch had their club-of-the-week, and 42nd Street Oyster Bar was a major spot downtown.

Commuting to RTP was awful when I started co-oping in the late 80s. I-40 was two lanes each way and completely jammed. 54 was about the only other option. People in North Raleigh had to cut thru the Airport. There were about 5 places to eat in RTP. We'd go over to Fat Daddy's on 70 or out to the BBQ place at 55/64 in Apex (were Daniel's Pizza Pasta is now).

Cary was just starting to see the wave of growth. By the late 80s the shopping center at Old Apex and Cary Parkway was built. It was in the middle of nowhere. Macgregor was still the focus of new Cary. George of George's Garage, etc., had a great little restaurant at Macgregor Village (Georgio's, iirc).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or