Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 12:23 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,230,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post

Speaking of the McCoys, Rick Derringer turned out be an excellent lead guitar player. Check out "Rock and roll hoochiekoo" by Rick. very nice song and great solo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post

Yup -- remember it well. No question it's an improvement on "Sloopy."

Well, may be, but it's NOT an improvement on the original version, recorded when Rick was playing in the "Johnny Winter And" group.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbDl97F8TKM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2019, 01:51 PM

8,454 posts, read 8,691,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
I've never read more wrong on the internet before.

Wrong, in your opinion. Like what specifically?

Old 03-22-2019, 07:10 PM

5,342 posts, read 5,086,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post

Clapton, I was never that interested in.
100% Agree. Rolling Stone put him at #2 and I have no idea why. He played in a lot of popular songs, but he's definitely not on my list for this is what guitar talent sounds like.
Quote:
I love Robin Trower, but he became the guitarist he is today because of Hendrix. Early Procol Harum was Robin in his own element. He played a Gibson, very heavy tone, great sound, but nothing like Hendrix. After he heard Hendrix and saw the equipment he played, it totally changed his focus. Started playing a Strat and a Univibe pedal through Marshall amps. He carried it further because he lived longer. It's impossible to say what Hendrix would have done had he lived.

Hendrix was not a great pure singer, but he had a unique singing/talking style.
This brings up an important point, who should get the credit, the person who did it first, or the person who did it best? It's debatable. But, who am I going to listen to? The one who did it best. I wonder if I'll be different when I'm older and favour the players I grew up with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Joe Bonamassa is fabulous. We just bought tickets to see him in August. Stoked!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Stevie Ray is considered one of the best ever at his genre --- and I have a few of his tunes on my Ipod - but for my money I'll take Bonamassa over him, any day of the week. Joe can do it all -- hard rock - blues rock - slower blues - acoustic --- he is unbelievable.

Can't comment on the other one. Jimi was great, of course, and I don't know any of Trower's material.
He's awesome. Saw him at Red Rocks 2 years ago and want to see him again this year. It's funny, I'll listen to the original of the song Bonamassa covers and it's like someone turned the HD and color off

For another one, I'd put Buddy Guy ahead of Albert King.

In the ancient blues era, I'd put Rev. Gary Davis ahead of Robert Johnson. Blind Gary is still fun to listen to Robert Johnson just sounds like a kid trying to play the blues.

Or a hell of a lot of people > James Hetfield.

Last edited by Phil P; 03-22-2019 at 07:24 PM..

Old 03-22-2019, 11:59 PM

1,584 posts, read 975,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
100% Agree. Rolling Stone put him [Clapton]at #2 and I have no idea why. He played in a lot of popular songs, but he's definitely not on my list for this is what guitar talent sounds like.
Clapton and Duane Allman’s playing on the Derek and the Dominos album “Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs” is to my thinking reason enough to revere both guitarists. Also like Clapton’s work on the various Cream albums a lot. I think his reputation as one of the best ever is a fair one based on these alone.

Also don’t get the hate for Jimi Hendrix’s playing. He’s excellent on his three main album releases, and the live clips I’ve heard are stunning. To me, he’s the best ever in the genre and it’s going to take a lot to dethrone him.

YMMV.

Last edited by bachslunch; 03-23-2019 at 12:46 AM..

Old 03-23-2019, 07:06 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,203,413 times
Quote:
Clapton and Duane Allman’s playing on the Derek and the Dominos album “Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs” is to my thinking reason enough to revere both guitarists. Also like Clapton’s work on the various Cream albums a lot. I think his reputation as one of the best ever is a fair one based on these alone.

Also don’t get the hate for Jimi Hendrix’s playing. He’s excellent on his three main album releases, and the live clips I’ve heard are stunning. To me, he’s the best ever in the genre and it’s going to take a lot to dethrone him.

YMMV.

The only issue I have with that line up is the song Layla. Dwayne's slide drives me up the wall. It sounds whiny. I heard they had to adjust the pitch on parts of it because it was out of tune.

Old 03-23-2019, 07:10 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,203,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
Well, may be, but it's NOT an improvement on the original version, recorded when Rick was playing in the "Johnny Winter And" group.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbDl97F8TKM

That could be the version I'm thinking of. I'm certainly not referring to when he was with the McCoys.

BTW, Johnny Winter And was a really nice band.

Old 03-23-2019, 05:13 PM

1,584 posts, read 975,620 times
Quote:
The only issue I have with that line up is the song Layla. Dwayne's slide drives me up the wall. It sounds whiny. I heard they had to adjust the pitch on parts of it because it was out of tune.
Doesn’t bother me despite the oddness you mention, actually, but as they say YMMV. The strangest thing about the song for me is the fact that the first half and last half of the song have pretty tenuous ties to each other (vocal first half, piano second half, not much alike). Somehow for me, it works amazingly well in spite of all this. I think it’s the gripping intensity of the lyrics about lost love coupled with the howling, pleading music that make the difference — a combination that infuses the whole album with a special level of greatness, actually. Pattie Boyd really got under Clapton’s skin with a vengeance, didn’t she?

If what I’ve read is correct, the first half of the song was written by Clapton, while the second piano-based half is ostensibly by the band’s drummer Jim Gordon — though he snitched the music wholesale from his then-girlfriend Rita Coolidge. She should really get the songwriting credit here, not Gordon.

It’s definitely a favorite album of mine, and probably the only “guitar jam” type album I like. For me, Clapton’s finest hour.

Old 03-24-2019, 12:23 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,178,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Wrong, in your opinion. Like what specifically?
Hendrix overrated? That's like saying, "That Einstein. Sure, he's pretty smart, but he's no Einstein."

Old 03-24-2019, 04:36 PM

545 posts, read 409,627 times
IMO Hendrix opened, wrote, and closed the book on rock guitar. He did stuff 50 years ago that we are just now figuring out. That Jimmy Page fella wasn't too bad either. I don't see much innovation in rock guitar playing since these two men were in their prime.

My choice for

Overrated: Mark Knophler

Underrated: Richard Thompson

Old 03-27-2019, 10:15 PM

5,342 posts, read 5,086,591 times
Quote:

YMMV.
Layla to me sounds like a classic rock radio song. Daune Allmans on other Allman Brothers tracks in my opinion is superior to Clapton, and then Warren Hayes takes the band to a whole new level after Duane.

You guys will have to post some of the live Hendrix music so I can see what is his best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music