Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2019, 10:00 AM

1,199 posts, read 724,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
Love ELP!

There are a lot of good jazz metal groups yes but I think the OP is probably focused on pop rap and pop rock.

Any newer odd meter groups you can recommend?
I like CHON and Snarky Puppy. An older weird band most people don't know is Watchtower, they're metal but with Iron Maiden type vocals. Dance Gavin Dance are a metal band that identifies with the punk movement. Some people like them. I don't know if you know Symphony X but they combine jazz, classical music and rock. Also doesn't have metal screaming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2019, 03:35 PM

27 posts, read 23,248 times
It's just, back in the '80s and '90s and to a certain extent the 2000s, just about every movie for example, had an AWESOME rock/heavy metal soundtrack to go with it, it was amazing! Now rap has taken over and it's the same generic crap; talking about ******* and hos and f this, f that.

I miss when we had so much good stuff like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upWj-RrKnIQ

Old 04-06-2019, 03:40 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,212,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsquirrel View Post
I like CHON and Snarky Puppy. An older weird band most people don't know is Watchtower, they're metal but with Iron Maiden type vocals. Dance Gavin Dance are a metal band that identifies with the punk movement. Some people like them. I don't know if you know Symphony X but they combine jazz, classical music and rock. Also doesn't have metal screaming.
Snarky Puppy and their associated acts are some of my favs.

I'll check
Symphony X, thanks!

Old 04-06-2019, 03:40 PM

3,354 posts, read 1,184,048 times
It hasn't taken over for me. I listen to what I want, and what I listen to is not rap.

Old 04-06-2019, 05:32 PM

5,194 posts, read 1,871,726 times
Well I con-kerr with others here hoo say that it's not part of my life because I ignore it and don't seek it out to listen to. So take over it has not.

Old 04-06-2019, 06:07 PM

3,551 posts, read 2,532,396 times
Rap has taken over top 40 radio, and in doing that has pushed out rock from the forefront of media. You can deny that all you want, doesnt change facts. Same thing happened with rock and pop in the 50s and 60s, it took over pushing out crooners, big band and easy listening music, causing much complaining among my dad's generation. Had there been an internet back then they would have posted the same messages about rock that are posted here about rap - but in those low tech days, the conversations occurred in bars, on back porches and over dining room tables.

Old 04-06-2019, 07:37 PM

7,453 posts, read 4,684,019 times
Like with any other genre, you just need to stumble to the good stuff, for example, its sub-genre jazz rap.

Jazz Rap

Old 04-07-2019, 02:04 PM

2,269 posts, read 1,639,050 times
I’ve listened to a LOT of different stuff, all over the musical map, also played an instrument in my younger years. I gave rap a listen, a number of times. It is not for me. I don’t really hate it since I don’t bother even trying to listen to it any more. To me, it’s poor rhyming to a beat, nothing more. I find little about it that is “musical”. Right now my favorite category is probably Scandinavian progressive/symphonic metal, e.g., Nightwish and Arjen Lucassen’s Ayreon Project. If I live long enough, it will probably change again.

Old 04-07-2019, 03:23 PM

1,100 posts, read 1,215,494 times
Rap is crap, not music.
If you have heard one rap, you have heard all.

Old 04-08-2019, 12:36 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,526,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserFinn View Post
Rap is crap, not music.
If you have heard one rap, you have heard all.
This has to be the most ignorant post I have read in this forum (I bet there’s worst).

I like music period. If it’s good, it’s good.

I listen to a lot of hip hop/rap.

I don’t like some of the newer stuff that’s out there like mumble rap or emo rap/trap.

But to say that rap is not music, is theoritically wrong:

Music is defined as a vocal or instrumental sounds (or both) combined in such a way as to produce beauty of form, harmony, and expression of emotion.

So by definition rap is music.

Then, not all rap is the same.

The hip hop sound coming from California in the 90’s, the so called G funk, was totally different than the hardcore boom bap sound from the likes of Wu Tang and Nas, and different from the more melodic rap coming from Atlanta (i.e., Outkast).

I am a huge fan of Kendrick Lamar, and I enjoy the To pimp a butterfly record as much as I do Genesis’ The lamb lies down on Broadway. Yes, I’m a huge prog rock fan as well.

You don’t have to like rap, but don’t say incorrect, uninformed stuff about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music