Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 01:00 AM

5,793 posts, read 13,930,887 times

Advertisements

Not too long ago I noticed that I had more classical than pop/rock in my cd collection and most of those would be from the baroque period. J.S. Bach is apparently my most listened to composer. Vivaldi, Telemann and Handel are also truly enjoyable. From other periods I respect the heck out of Thomas Tallis who paved the way for those already listed. Haydn, Beethoven and Mozart were very innovative and there are a slew of their works that I have yet to discover. But I'm working on it. Wish I had a little more Dubussy, Dvorak, Mahler and Grieg in there too, but their works are a little harder to come by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 04:44 AM

4,682 posts, read 12,055,024 times
This is great! Love hearing these other selections/suggestions. However, one thing that buggers me when looking for albums/CD's is that someone like me, I don't know the diffs between all of the various multitudes of many different orchestras and then conductors - seems that each has their own interpretation, style, and then this composition can sound quite different, a different feel, than what some other orchestra/conductor would do; and then while one may lay flat, other really soars. Yet, then its a gamble, to me anyhow, as to which one to acquire. Not like I've amazon.com or some other i'net resource when in the music bin of the store... So, from those of yas with the extra knowledge - help!

Old 04-16-2008, 06:00 AM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,233,109 times
I'm so glad you started this thread Shadowcaver, I was thinking about it a while ago as I was after some specific opinions... I'll come to that later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushkinswife View Post
...Debussy comes to mind as well..."Clouds" is one of my favs. From the last 50 yrs is hard for me but I am rather impressed with Philip Glass...if you have ever seen "Notes on a Scadal"...he wrote the entire score
I've heard some Philip Glass but don't own any. Re Debussy - Claire de Lune is my favourite.

Quote:
No doubt about that. My friends entire wedding processional was Pachelbel the funny thing she had no clue she left the music up to the coordinator.
I tend to find Pachelbel a bit overplayed - I used to like it but it seems to get used for everything these days. Some people of my generation even say "Hey it's the tune from The Farm's Altogether Now"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
I like classical music very much. I also like punk, new wave, and goth...go figure. On the radio the only station I listen to is the classical one.
Some of my favorites are Tchaikowsky, Richard Strauss, Mahler, and Resphigi (the Fountains, Pines of Rome and Roman Festivals) are fabulous. I was introduced to classical music 40 years ago by hearing Rimsky-Korsakov's Sheherazade. Made me want to hear more classical. Then I heard Wagner and was overwhelmed by his dramatic works, such as Tristan and Isolde. A good piece for dinner time is La Mere by De Bussey. The Russians also rate well by me, Stravinsky, Prokokieff, Rachmaninov, Shastakovitch.
I probably misspelled most names.
I like piano pieces by Chopin and Liszt. But I have a hard time when the station plays string quartets or concertos for oboes, clarinets, and flutes. I don't like them and find them to be repetitive, simplistic, lacking in excitement and much too long.
My narrow preference is mostly for symphonies. I have never attended a symphonic concert, but keep planning on it.
My absolute favourites are Russian composers - particularly Prokofiev. I got hold of his violin concertos the other day - the one in G minor is stunning, it's got some amazing double stopping. I also adore his Romeo and Juliet (not Tchaikovsky's, it's much less passionate IMO.) He just does pathos wonderfully - parts of R&J are heart wrenching.

Can anyone tell me whether Glazunov is similar? They appear to have been writing roughly in the same time bracket/ peer groups, so I was wondering if there's anything of his I should get hold of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
Not too long ago I noticed that I had more classical than pop/rock in my cd collection and most of those would be from the baroque period. J.S. Bach is apparently my most listened to composer. Vivaldi, Telemann and Handel are also truly enjoyable. From other periods I respect the heck out of Thomas Tallis who paved the way for those already listed. Haydn, Beethoven and Mozart were very innovative and there are a slew of their works that I have yet to discover. But I'm working on it. Wish I had a little more Dubussy, Dvorak, Mahler and Grieg in there too, but their works are a little harder to come by.
I love playing Vivaldi and Bach, but not so much listening to Bach, which is odd. They're somehow very satisfying to play (OK maybe just easier!). The exception is Bach's double violin concerto, which I've played most of and also love listening to, there are some great harmonies in the slow movement.

Interesting that you've listed those particular composers as being hard to come by - you can hardly move for Debussy CDs here (OK maybe that's a huge exaggeration - if there is a classical section in a record shop and you can find it, and it sells anything other than bl**dy Lesley bl**dy Garratt, then all the other CDs are probably Debussy. OK that's probably an exaggeration too.... )

We have 2 dominant classical radio stations here. One is called Classic FM and it's sort of mainstream classical, ie they play Pachelbel's Canon, Albinoni's adagio, the flower duet by thingy, bits of Saint-Saens Carnival of the animals, Elgar's Nimrod... (although I love that.) It's essentially a classical favourites CD on the radio, and it's very accessible and commercial

Then we've got Radio 3, which is highbrow to the point where it's almost part of the hair line - bordering on sheer pomposity. I quite like it sometimes, just because it plays things in full, and discusses them. Or it plays works that you don't hear so much.

Their forum is hilarious though.
BBC - MESSAGE BOARDS - Radio 3 - CD Review

Shadowcaver - this is a forum for discussing CD releases, which may well contain useful information if you can find it. I suspect it may be more use as entertainment value I'm staggered at the knowledge of some of the contributors.

[that said, I've just noticed a fairly plain-English discussion about Mahler recordings, so there may be hope yet!]

I know how frustrating it is though. I love Widor's toccata for the organ, but I bought a version that's just awful - it rattles through it as though it'a a race, and it doesn't sparkle at all like it ought to. Really dissapointing.

Old 04-16-2008, 06:41 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Quote:
No doubt about that. My friends entire wedding processional was Pachelbel the funny thing she had no clue she left the music up to the coordinator.
heh
We thought we were being so original 26 years ago when we used the Canon in D for our wedding processional.
The big thing now at 20something weddings is (Mark) Mothersbaugh's Canon (this is just a snippet)
I enjoy chamber music, but sometimes I'll take on big players like Beethoven--I love his stuff.

Old 04-16-2008, 06:53 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,660,754 times
I have to be in the right mood for classical, but when I am, I find it some of the most beautiful, enduring music ever made!

Some of my favorites ... I'm not really big on particular artists/composers as I am on certain pieces of music.

-- Bach organ music. "Toccata and Fugue in D Minor" is, to me, the single most amazing piece of music ever written. Thunderous, majestic, explosive, and gorgeous.

-- Beethoven's 5th and 9th

-- Stravinksy's "Rite of Spring" and "Firebird"

-- Orff, "Carmina Burana"

-- Ravel, "Bolero"

-- Gorecki's 3rd Symphony

-- Widor, Organ Symphony No. 5

-- Richard Strauss, "Also Sprach Zarathustra"

-- Bartok's and Shostakovich's string quartets

Old 04-16-2008, 07:51 AM

4,189 posts, read 3,480,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
This is great! Love hearing these other selections/suggestions. However, one thing that buggers me when looking for albums/CD's is that someone like me, I don't know the diffs between all of the various multitudes of many different orchestras and then conductors - seems that each has their own interpretation, style, and then this composition can sound quite different, a different feel, than what some other orchestra/conductor would do; and then while one may lay flat, other really soars. Yet, then its a gamble, to me anyhow, as to which one to acquire. Not like I've amazon.com or some other i'net resource when in the music bin of the store... So, from those of yas with the extra knowledge - help!

Time Life has an excellent collection. I find that the "interpretation" is well-founded and gives justice to the composers. Try their "Best of..." series. I personally own the "best of..." Tchaikovsky, Mozart, etc and omg Chopin "Short works for Piano" is a must have.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:35 AM
RH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoAdrian View Post
-- Orff, "Carmina Burana"

-- Ravel, "Bolero"

-- Richard Strauss, "Also Sprach Zarathustra"

-- Bartok's and Shostakovich's string quartets
Good choices! I can't believe I forgot about Carmina Burana - it's probably because I friend has had my CD for about 3 years!

Old 04-16-2008, 08:37 AM
RH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH1 View Post
I'm so glad you started this thread Shadowcaver, I was thinking about it a while ago as I was after some specific opinions... I'll come to that later..
Oooops!!! Profuse apologies Pushkinswife, I've just realised you started it. It was because the next response got quoted and I got confused. I'm easily confused... sorry.

Grovelling and humble apologies....

Last edited by RH1; 04-16-2008 at 09:03 AM..

Old 04-16-2008, 08:48 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,264,630 times
WCNY TV FM - Connected to YOU - Public Television - Classical Countdown Results (http://www.wcny.org/content/view/111/214/ - broken link)

Here is a link to what was voted the most popular pieces at my local classical station which is first class. It includes the specific CD publishers and CD number which you can order from CDNOW You can also listen online at both links if you like.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:04 AM

4,189 posts, read 3,480,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH1 View Post
Oooops!!! Profuse apologies Pushkinswife, I've just realised you started it. It was because the next response got quoted.

Grovelling and humble apologies....
I love you anyways No apologies needed I am enjoying the dialogue. I am very jealous of your FM radio "choices" I don't have much here. Dying to get satellite....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music