Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2008, 09:09 AM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,233,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushkinswife View Post
I love you anyways No apologies needed I am enjoying the dialogue. I am very jealous of your FM radio "choices" I don't have much here. Dying to get satellite....
The satellite radio vs FM radio thing is bothering me as it happens, but for a sort of inverse reason. My neighbour adores Brazilian music, and on my satellite TV I get about a million weird and wonderful radio channels, including a Brazilian one, but I can't figure out a way to get her to be able to access it. For some reason it's not on digital radio, and she doesn't have cable/ satellite or the internet. Very annoying.

Anyway, thank you for your forgiveness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 10:00 AM

4,537 posts, read 9,186,569 times
Everything I know about classical music I learned from Bugs Bunny cartoons But seriously, I have been listening to classical more and more, thanks mainly to the really good classical radio station we have here in Washington DC. I am starting to have quite a few favorites.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:12 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,870,090 times
does anyone know the name of that time life collection (I think it was time life since I saw it on TV) that had all of the best known classical favorites? I can't seem to find it anywhere and as a guy that's just starting to really get into classical music, I'd like to familiarize myself with famous composers and their works before I go blindly purchasing various works.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:44 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,264,630 times
This looked pretty good for starters - Classical CD Guide -- Top 10 CDs to Start Your Classical Music Collection

Here is a complete guide book link - Amazon.com: The NPR Guide to Building a Classical CD Collection : The 350 Essential Works: Ted Libbey: Books

Old 04-16-2008, 08:50 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,930,887 times
Well, here's Time Life's music page. However, I don't see any classical listings. That's a bit of a surprise. Most stores that sell music should have a section with something akin to what you're looking for. Usually a multiple cd set. Looks Like Sgoldie has you covered too. Good Luck!

Welcome to TimeLife.com | Music

Old 04-18-2008, 09:06 AM
RH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
Well, here's Time Life's music page. However, I don't see any classical listings. That's a bit of a surprise. Most stores that sell music should have a section with something akin to what you're looking for. Usually a multiple cd set. Looks Like Sgoldie has you covered too. Good Luck!

Welcome to TimeLife.com | Music
I sometimes see adverts for their stuff on TV here, but I've always been put off it because it looks like they force the selection on you, is that right? This might sound silly but I don't want someone else's idea of what I should like. And it might just be the kind of adverts we get here, but all the "Best 50s music selection ever.... 4000 CDs of all your favourite 50s hits...only £3,500...." stuff just puts me off them!

Hey I thought of another modern composer - has anyone got any Steve Martland? I got a sample of his "Drill" free with a CD years ago and really liked it, but I've never dared to buy a whole CD of his in case I didn't like the rest of it!

Old 04-18-2008, 09:39 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
My favorite piece of classical music is Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue

Old 04-18-2008, 09:40 AM
RH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
My favorite piece of classical music is Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue
Good call.

Old 04-20-2008, 10:38 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,897,496 times
Lot of ballet/opera pieces are my favorites, most notably

Tchaikovsky's, Dance of The Cygnets from Swan Lake and Dance of The Sugar Plum Fairy from The Nutcracker Suite.

and

Bizet's, Carmen Suite No 1 Les Toreadores

There are lots of others too, but I mostly recognize the music and not the composer so much, although all of the works mentioned so far are wonderful.

Old 04-22-2008, 04:42 PM

45 posts, read 256,331 times
Shostakovich
Bach
Mozart
Prokofiev
Sibelius
Schubert
Chopin
Janacek
Arvo Part
Brahms
Erik Satie
Schonberg
Saint-Saens
Stravinsky
Tchaikovsky

And oh, so many more!
I love classical, but I listen to so many different genres of music.
Music is life!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music