U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2019, 03:29 AM

6,775 posts, read 4,373,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Doobie Brothers should be in already.

Depeche Mode should be in already.

They don't put many metal bands in - but I would vote yes on Motorhead, IMO one of the best of the genre.
Motörhead are perhaps the most influential metal band ever. They should be in, should've been in years ago, but it's the RRHOF and they have weird criteria on "Rock and Roll" and "Fame".

Old 10-27-2019, 06:40 PM

3,450 posts, read 3,720,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Motörhead are perhaps the most influential metal band ever. They should be in, should've been in years ago, but it's the RRHOF and they have weird criteria on "Rock and Roll" and "Fame".
The same can be said for Judas Priest. They've been kicking ass and making metal for 50 years now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2019, 06:47 PM

688 posts, read 177,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
The same can be said for Judas Priest. They've been kicking ass and making metal for 50 years now.

Old 10-27-2019, 08:10 PM

8,219 posts, read 4,772,237 times
My choices are

Pat Benatar
Soundgarden
Nine Inch Nails
Judas Priest
Dave Matthews Band

and pretty much on that order. I can't believe Benatar is not already in and if she does not make it, I may protest. (Well, not really)

Old 10-27-2019, 08:38 PM

2,931 posts, read 1,116,751 times
That Judas Priest hasn't been gotten in yet is beyond absurd. They are the second most important band to the development of metal after Black Sabbath. Iron Maiden should have gotten in a long time ago as well. Having Metallica in there before either of those three is beyond ridiculous.

Then again the R&R hall of fame has long been viewed as a joke. How on earth did Madonna and ABBA get in, both of whom I enjoy, but who don't really belong in there.

Old 10-28-2019, 04:40 AM

6,775 posts, read 4,373,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
Nope they should be in, but you can't list genres of rock and metal that claim their influence. That said 99% of metal fashion probably comes from Priest.

Thrash, Speed, Death, Black, Groove, and Crossover Metal and Metalcore all credit Motorhead for their influence. So Sepultura, Metallica Anthrax, Megadeth, Bathory, Pantera, etc. etc. all owe Motörhead for their existence. As do genres that spawned from those genres.

Priest are awesome, in metal, they're probably THE perfect metal band. With that comes some influence and emulation, but only within strict metal, because they kind of perfected it.

Old 10-30-2019, 12:40 PM

1,294 posts, read 524,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Then again the R&R hall of fame has long been viewed as a joke. How on earth did Madonna and ABBA get in, both of whom I enjoy, but who don't really belong in there.
Given that the RRHoF has for a long time now been the “Pop Music since the 1940s Hall of Fame,” it’s not surprising both are in.

Old 10-30-2019, 06:40 PM

13,569 posts, read 4,633,938 times
And can someone explain to me, why Warren Zevon isn't 1) In the RRHOF or at least 2) nominated for the same
I don't get it.

Op-Ed: Warren Zevon missing from 2020 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame ballot

Old 10-30-2019, 07:26 PM

1,471 posts, read 356,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
And can someone explain to me, why Warren Zevon isn't 1) In the RRHOF or at least 2) nominated for the same
I don't get it.

Op-Ed: Warren Zevon missing from 2020 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame ballot
Here's the explanation:

Music is an art. Thus, quantifying things like 'musical excellence' and 'talent' is hopeless because those things are are completely subjective. The remaining criteria for induction aren't completely subjective, but they are heavily dependent on individual opinions.

Quote:
Besides demonstrating unquestionable musical excellence and talent, inductees will have had a significant impact on the development, evolution and preservation of rock & roll.
https://www.rockhall.com/inductees/induction-process

Some people have different opinions that you. What's not to understand?

His chart performance probably plays a role. Out of 11 albums, only one hit the top ten in the U.S. and only two went gold. He never had a top 20 single.

Of course, other artists have had worse chart histories. The Velvet Underground's highest charting album peaked at #129. They never had a top 200 single in the U.S. On the other hand, practically every punk/new/age/post punk/alternative band that every formed cited the Velvets as an influence. So there's that.

Still, again, it's subjective.

I think that XTC (and their side project, Dukes of Stratosphear) are freakin' brilliant. But I don't expect the world to agree with me. I think Kiss is a gimmick band predicated on puerile adolescent drivel. Again, I don't expect the world to agree with me.

Anyway, the whole idea of a 'fall of fame' for artists is absurd. Why anyone cares is weird. Maybe people need their musical tastes validated by the masses? Like I said - weird.

Old 10-30-2019, 07:33 PM

10,953 posts, read 15,239,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
aaaaaaah ABBA (they deserve to be there)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or