Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2008, 12:05 AM

4 posts, read 13,797 times

Advertisements

if he makes it big time could he be bad for the image of san diego? Big time san diego artists such as Lil' Rob really dont sing about the ghetto and ganglife and what not.

thoughts? (btw kind of new to the forum so sorry if there has been a thread on this before)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 08:58 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,471,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SawgrassSlanger View Post
if he makes it big time could he be bad for the image of san diego? Big time san diego artists such as Lil' Rob really dont sing about the ghetto and ganglife and what not.

thoughts? (btw kind of new to the forum so sorry if there has been a thread on this before)
It won't matter, because Rap music and especially gangster rap is a dead genre.

Old 04-21-2008, 10:54 AM

240 posts, read 888,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Man, I hope you're right. I've never even considered rap to be "music".

Old 04-21-2008, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMark View Post
I've liked tons of rap and hip-hop stuff over the years. But the direction things have gone to is too strange for the mainstream. Although album sales have dropped across all genres for the last few years rap sales have really plummetted. The general trend is that the white and middle-class kids who loved rap are now abandoning it. I think in general, the "gangster" fad is over.

Old 04-21-2008, 12:22 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,574,341 times
Yeah I love hip hop my favorite music.But Gangster rap,not a fan of it.If Mitch stepped away from that he would def. be a major thing.

Old 04-21-2008, 02:59 PM

108 posts, read 386,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMark View Post
why do people not consider hiphop/rap to be music?

Old 04-21-2008, 06:38 PM

4 posts, read 13,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
if by saying rap is dead you mean rappers do not have any influence over the people, especially our youth, then thats very ignorant.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SawgrassSlanger View Post
if by saying rap is dead you mean rappers do not have any influence over the people, especially our youth, then thats very ignorant.
The influence it once had is waning, and has waned greatly since as recently as 5-10 years ago. But I'm really not speaking about rap per se, moreso the gangster / thug fad. The reality is that it's no longer cool to be a thug. Thugs are seen as people to avoid.

There are still people seduced by that game, but they have become a shrinking minority, and that is why most gangster stuff has gone way underground and has basically zero mass-market appeal right now. Most commercially viable rap acts these days are novelty acts.

Times have changed. Rap is mainstream culturally but has lost a lot of it's power to communicate. A lot of what made rap music great is now gone. There is still a lot of talent out there that is stuck doing the same old nonsense and it's just not happening for them. It's time to move on and try different things. Face it - the real career for a rapper today is as an actor - that says something about the viability of that business.

Mitchy Slick has been around a long time - and to be honest, it's not going to happen for him here. You want a career in music, you move to LA. No hardcore rap act will ever have credibility in San Diego.

Last edited by NYSD1995; 04-21-2008 at 07:35 PM..

Old 04-22-2008, 10:10 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,482,031 times
The ''heavy hitters''; Ice Cube, PDiddyPuffDaddy,JayZ have all branched out into other ventures because numbers dont lie. Rap is a dying genre and IMO, Thank God!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music