Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2008, 10:58 PM

1,440 posts, read 4,417,044 times

Advertisements

There are a lot of them that have one or two tunes that still get regular play around here. The Saints, Buzzcocks, Wire, the Undertones.

Probably the only one I still listen to a full album by would be the Lurkers. Still have my original copy of their first album. Manic Esso on the drums, Pete Stride....great stuff still.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 07:22 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,139,299 times
Most of all the Punk bands before 1986 are enjoyed by yours truly. Anything since is certified garabage. Except for Everclear. I thought they were pretty good.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:08 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,327,152 times
Mob 47,Anticimex,Skitslickers,Moderat Likvidation,Asocial,Tatuerade Snutkukar,Huvudtvätt,Avskum,Total Armsvett,Missbrukarna,AB Hjärntvätt.
All is swedish hardcore from the early 80s.
70s punk was pretty boring.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:20 AM

3,531 posts, read 2,595,018 times
Sham 69..
PROPER!!

YouTube - Sham 69-Hurry Up Harry

YouTube - If the kids are united - sham 69

YouTube - Sham 69 - "Hersham Boys" (Live - 1979)

Old 04-25-2008, 09:50 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,484,450 times
The Clash! Hands down. But in my opinion there would be no punk without these 3-
MC5
Neil Young
Iggy Pop

Old 04-25-2008, 10:49 AM

1,250 posts, read 3,605,466 times
Definitely The Ramones

I have "Rock 'n Roll High School" on DVD

I also like "The Stranglers"

Joy Division
Originally considered a "punk" band when they
came on the scene (very early on when they were called Warsaw
they did sound punk)
I guess they are now considered to be post-punk ?

THey definitely were way ahead of their time, their unique sound influenced alot of '80's bands

Old 04-25-2008, 12:53 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRUA View Post
Definitely The Ramones

I have "Rock 'n Roll High School" on DVD

I also like "The Stranglers"

Joy Division
Originally considered a "punk" band when they
came on the scene (very early on when they were called Warsaw
they did sound punk)
I guess they are now considered to be post-punk ?

THey definitely were way ahead of their time, their unique sound influenced alot of '80's bands
Not to mention they (well, New Order actually but close enough) almost single-handedly financed the rise of Manchester as Europe's pop-culture capital in the 80s.

Old 04-25-2008, 02:17 PM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,947,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rhino View Post
Every time I see Skrewdriver mentioned on this forum it makes me laugh. Good work.

A bar/restaurant here has theme vinyl nights and last week was "Posi Punk", I brought in the "Sink With California" 7" by Youth Brigade. Good times.
Hehe, tried to send some rep your way, but being annoying CD wouldn't let me >.< Always fun to see another Skrewdriver fan....would've posted a song but you know....well, being a skrewdriver fan you know why i didn't lol

Old 04-25-2008, 02:24 PM

1,440 posts, read 4,417,044 times
Funny story from the first days of seventies punk. Still have it on tape somewhere. The Damned were being interviewed on a university radio station and suggested in terms I can't repeat verbatim here, that the Ramones were "Forest Hills posers who breed 'oles in their jeans for the effect". Ah, the good old days lads.

Old 04-25-2008, 02:37 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,260,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The A-Team View Post
Hehe, tried to send some rep your way, but being annoying CD wouldn't let me >.< Always fun to see another Skrewdriver fan....would've posted a song but you know....well, being a skrewdriver fan you know why i didn't lol

Haha, yeah, I'm sure it would violate the terms of service, especially some of the homemade fan videos.

A couple Skrewdriver related stories:

Several years ago when I was going to school this Indian (India) girl from one of my classes came up to me and started a conversation with me. Just a normal girl, not really involved with subcultures or anything. She asked me what sort of bands/music I was into and I started listing a few things like "blah blah blah Skrewdriver blah blah" and she was like "You like Skrewdriver?" I thought she was going to get angry, but she went on to talk about how she has a cousin in England (she was born there) who is a skinhead who is into a lot of the same Trojan reggae and Skrewdriver-esque music I'm into. She also told me about this friend she had when she lived in Pittsburgh that was all about the People Haters and Skrewdriver. Not exactly the direction I thought that conversation was going! She turned out to be pretty cool, but moved away.

About 12 years ago The Toasters played here and this girl gave one of the black members of the band a ride to a music store to pick something up. On the way there, she told him that he could pick any tape he wanted to listen to on the way there. She didn't realize her boyfriend's Skrewdriver tape was in there and of course that's what he picked. She thought he was going to get offended, but he put the tape in and started singing along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music