U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-26-2008, 04:26 AM

1 posts, read 1,444 times
Default Help me start out with acoustic guitar

My regards to the community. I already have a taste of music as I played Saxophone for 6 years and sang in choir for 5. I want to have my fingers going on an acoustic guitar. I already own 2. . I was wondering if anyone could tell me a good way to start out. What should I be doing, etc... That kind of stuff. Any advice would be great.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2008, 10:29 AM

1,275 posts, read 1,476,422 times
If you're learning on your own, the best way is to get a couple of dvd's and beginning guitar books aimed at the acoustic. Try one for the blues as that helps you identify many chords in the same key so you can "jam" solo. Get your basic chords down and practice strumming. For an acoustic, that is the biggest thing, in my opinion, strumming. If you dont have a nice relaxed strum, you'll never really sound smooth, just mechanical. Of course always practice, you need to build up those callouses as the strings on an acoustic are thicker. It will hurt in the beginning until the callouses get built up and then you can practice and play longer.

Lastly, get a good guitar tuner, a nice one, dont be afraid to spend money on a nice one, the cheap ones dont seem to work as well. As the saying goes, guitar players spend half their time tuning their guitar, they spend the other half playing out of tune.

Old 04-26-2008, 11:18 AM

3,531 posts, read 694,671 times
I`ve played for more yrs than I care to remember,,and probably not very well!
My kids all play better than me [ages 33 to 11] and some of the best I`ve found for the younger ones [luckily they`ll take these on and not DAD ]
Guitar Man Acoustic Guitar Care and Playing Tips

Guitar Tuner @ Chordbook.Com

No chance of giving them talent, but if you have, it helps you on your way...

Old 04-26-2008, 05:00 PM

1,355 posts, read 3,705,117 times
Don't start out with strings that are too heavy. I would go with a light or medium light set. The sound won't be as full but it will be better to work up your forearm strength and callouses.

Then get an easy book of songs for the music you like. For instance, I played a lot of CCR and The Eagles starting out. There are also simplified Beatles books. Then just play and sing along. It makes practicing chords easier.

Old 04-27-2008, 06:31 AM

721 posts, read 1,534,304 times
Buy a book on chords and then buy a beatles music book. You'll be stumming tunes in no time. Another tip would be to just play along to Jazz radio. I recommend WGBO they have live streaming.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:11 AM

13,350 posts, read 38,741,465 times
Get a teacher.

Old 04-27-2008, 10:08 PM

2 posts, read 7,267 times
Default Re: Help me start out with acoustic guitar

If you want to learn acoustic guitar (broken link)I think that the best going would be to get an online source.

This is our new fast-track beginner course without notes. In 30 daily lessons you’ll learn the most important chords to accompany various styles. You’ll learn the different styles such as easy ballad, folkpop ballad, groove pop, pop ballad, and more, by playing together with the band. Direct downloadable to your pc.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:54 AM

3 posts, read 2,690 times
can anyone give a good reference for a guitar teacher who plays blues/funk in omaha?? i cant seem to find one?

Old 05-30-2009, 01:57 PM

535 posts, read 928,151 times
If you've been playing sax you probably know how to read music, but from the people I know who've been playing an instrument for ~8 yrs they rarely know much theory, since they usually learn their instruments through the school. I would poke around into a bit of theory, it helps alot with guitar. Optimally after years and years of practice you can visualize all sclaes and chords and how they're connected and how you can modulate between them on the fretboard. I would start with just learning how the thing is put together, how the strings are tuned in relation to eachother (5ths) and what that means for your left hand. Start learning some scales and different ways they can be played to work out your fret hand and your ear/eye, and do some picking excercizes as well. Once you learn how a guitar works through all this, start mixing scales with chords in the same key, doing little exercises with something like a triplet melody and a quarter note triad of the same key or something. This will get your hands 'remembering' where to go and how to prepare for future notes. Then just start learning songs, learning a song all the way through is a great way to absorb technique. Just have fun as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music