Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2020, 12:28 PM

11,474 posts, read 6,002,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
Reminds me of Jack Black blasting the school kids because they hadn't heard of Motorhead, AC/DC or have gotten "the led out" ! ...
School of Rock. Such a great movie, but you miss half the jokes if you dont know much about rock and roll music or the associated bands. I mean, if all you listened to was Country and Western, you would lose out a lot on the movie.

I remember watching Kill Bill 1, and I realized there was a lot in that movie spoofing other types of movies with which I was completely unfamiliar, so I really missed out on all those nuances in the film.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2020, 02:55 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,213,174 times
I think there is only so much you can do with basic beats and chord changes. Creative musicians moved on to other genres and the people just stopped listening to similar sounds to their parents and grandparents music.

Old 12-14-2020, 07:27 PM

8,498 posts, read 8,790,853 times
Which genre is more formulaic rock or pop or hip hop? I'll go with it is close call that could have biased responses. Seems to me like pop and hip hop are more formulaic but I won't argue that not knowing the nooks and crannies in those worlds.

Sure some musicians try to offer variations on generic mainstream (any mainstream) and still hope to be in or maybe make the mainstream, while others give up on that and go to a niche space that will offer some modest audience / support. That happens within the broad umbrella of rock too.

Do you only find rock or traditional rock formulaic? Or is it the only one you want to knock on that right now?

I'll try other genres and sometimes can get quickly bored with their formulas. Chill, drone, space, synth pop, folk, EDM, avant-garde jazz, etc.

Formulaic sounds bad and it indeed can be a bore in cases but successful formula have something going for them. Many of the classical masters found a style and to a fairly large extent stuck with it. Even artists outside mainstream formulas can use alternative formulas that might get stale with some listeners. In the pocket, nuances outside it, it is a juggling act. Whatever works.

Last edited by NW Crow; 12-14-2020 at 07:57 PM..

Old 12-14-2020, 07:30 PM

293 posts, read 191,641 times
I heard in India,Japan,Brazil,Europe,scandinavia that heavy metal is still a way of Life.

Like in Brazil has rock in rio,there is Wacken metal fest in Germany,and various metal festivals in Europe.

Yet in the United States, it seems now uncool to play that kind of music.

The cool music nowadays it seems to be the "bust a cap in your ass and having a AK-47/sawed off shotgun in one hand and a 40 oz in another,slinging drugs,ho's,and such"

I wonder what caused the United States to forget about metal,while the rest of the world is still rocking out to metal?

Old 12-14-2020, 07:35 PM

8,498 posts, read 8,790,853 times
Metal of one style or another is still big with, I'd guess, at least 20-30% of white American males.

Old 12-16-2020, 12:23 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Which genre is more formulaic rock or pop or hip hop? I'll go with it is close call that could have biased responses. Seems to me like pop and hip hop are more formulaic but I won't argue that not knowing the nooks and crannies in those worlds.

Sure some musicians try to offer variations on generic mainstream (any mainstream) and still hope to be in or maybe make the mainstream, while others give up on that and go to a niche space that will offer some modest audience / support. That happens within the broad umbrella of rock too.

Do you only find rock or traditional rock formulaic? Or is it the only one you want to knock on that right now?

I'll try other genres and sometimes can get quickly bored with their formulas. Chill, drone, space, synth pop, folk, EDM, avant-garde jazz, etc.

Formulaic sounds bad and it indeed can be a bore in cases but successful formula have something going for them. Many of the classical masters found a style and to a fairly large extent stuck with it. Even artists outside mainstream formulas can use alternative formulas that might get stale with some listeners. In the pocket, nuances outside it, it is a juggling act. Whatever works.
I think one thing no one is looking at is we're discussing "popular". Popular will always ultimately resolve to easiest to market.

Which is easier to market, some idealized doll woman singer producing simple melodies (Taylor Swift, Lady Ga Ga, Dua Lipa, Rihannah, Beyonce, etc.), or a bunch of guys in denim and leather, looking slightly unwashed with facial hair?

Even when you get men in pop, they're mostly inoffensive (Harry Styles, Ed Sheeran, Justin Bieber etc.).

So if we run with that, what's going to be the most marketed, thus most popular? At the end of the day most people will default to music they can easily find, so the music handed to them by labels, far more than music that they have to look for. Charts don't take into consideration the marketing saturation.

I'd wager that's a big reason "Rock is dead", well until you see tour figures of bands, and see that the sweaty slightly scruffy hirsute guys are kicking ass and taking names still, and raking in millions. Because the real money is in touring and merchandise, not in recording any more.

Old 12-16-2020, 05:54 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,303,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unfocused View Post
Why is rock not in the pop charts? Cant say why, but things have evolved over the past 30 years to seperated genres with little overlap.

Why do boomers hate pop music?
That's easy. They always have, since the 80s, when they hit middle age. All boomers I met in the 80s who were 30 or older, didn't like hardly any current pop or rock of the day. Even most people in my age bracket then, 20s, didn't like a lot of it.
Regarding your first statement, I beleive the exact opposite is true. I don't think genre's have separated, I think (much like society), they have blended.

Irish music and rock, we now have Dropkick Murphy's and others
Bluegrass and Rock: String Cheese, Goose, etc.
Jamband and Rock: Phish, Gov't Mule, etc.
Country and Rock: Too many to list (and not my genre so i don't know the names)
Jazz and Rock: Started decades ago, and keeps evolving
and on, and on and on.

What I LOVE about music, is that with the blending and mixing of Genres, the possibilities are limitless....

To OP: I don't think rock has gone away, I think it has imbedded in everthing mainstream, to one extent or another.

Old 12-16-2020, 09:37 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,213,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Regarding your first statement, I beleive the exact opposite is true. I don't think genre's have separated, I think (much like society), they have blended.

Irish music and rock, we now have Dropkick Murphy's and others
Bluegrass and Rock: String Cheese, Goose, etc.
Jamband and Rock: Phish, Gov't Mule, etc.
Country and Rock: Too many to list (and not my genre so i don't know the names)
Jazz and Rock: Started decades ago, and keeps evolving
and on, and on and on.

What I LOVE about music, is that with the blending and mixing of Genres, the possibilities are limitless....

To OP: I don't think rock has gone away, I think it has imbedded in everthing mainstream, to one extent or another.
Wells said!

That is what I like about music today, so many blended genres.

A Greek singer/composer playing Brazilian Samba with an American jazz/funk band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFkRtjrrM5k

Old 05-15-2021, 07:02 AM

305 posts, read 213,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Rock remains and probably will for a long time. But it lost it's majority status if it had that barely overall. It had it for 2 generations. It is probably 30-35% now.

I think white women and minority men and women were either the least committed or weren't on the rock train at all, unless you counted r&b and 60s / 70s pop rock as rock. They were the first and biggest movers away from rock. Now with better social and economic standing and a higher minority % and a higher % born after 1980, the majority for advertisers is non-rock oriented.
Good observations.

Rock has always seemed to me the popular descendent of classical music. I'm aware that rock has roots in Black music, but rock's experiemental side is more uniquely European, to my mind. I'll list some really obvious examples:

"Bohemian Rhapsody"
"A Day in the Life"
"Paranoid Android"
"Good Vibrations"

Those are usually in most critics' Top 10 Rock song list, and they are clearly aspirational towards the classical music tradition of musical invention.

Hip hop/rap feels like the child of west African Bantu chanting. This is music that butts move to. Mahler symphonies, on the other hand, are almost rhythmically absent and speak exclusively to the brain and imagination.

In my experiences, most Latina/os, Africans, middle Easterners, American Blacks, and south Asians gravitate towards music for the butts. Something with a beat.

East Asians and Europeans, for all their love of butt-and-groin moving music, have a huge soft spot for the daring experiementation of classical composition. I think the biggest proponents of classical music in the world today are the Chinese and Japanese. As a group, east Asians regularly score the highest on IQ tests, so it makes sense that they tend to gravitate towards Schumann and Bach.

Old 05-15-2021, 02:12 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
I don't hate all the top music, I personally rather more rock and metal and punk stuff, but there is good pop out there. I like Lana Del Rey, Dua Lipa, especially the more neo-disco stuff of hers, Lady Gaga I have almost always enjoyed, Taylor Swift pre-reputation was really good, Demi Lovato is enjoyable and Poppy who has gone metal of late with a Republica style industrial metal is really enjoyable.

That said besides the new pop punk stuff from say Jxdn (a popular TikTok guy), girlfriends (Travis Mill's nand), Yungblud, Machine Gun Kelly (MGK), rock as we know it, is only on rock charts. This really isn't all that new as the only bands to crossover from rock charts to pop have been those that have an indie rock sound like Imagine Dragons or have been on pop charts like Paramore, Maroon 5 or Fall Out Boy. New rock isn't there.

So what's the reason? I think changing tastes. Rock unless you talk butt rock or scene (emo and metalcore) largely wasn't popular 15-20 years ago. Most people were switching to pop, R&B or rap. This has continued though there are pockets of a more rock whether metal or punk tinge. Some of Charli XCX's 2014 album 2014 had punk elements. Post Malone has had some rock elements at times and other rappers done the same. Marshmellow worked with A Day to Remember on "Rescue Me" which on the chorus had a more rock sound. As I mentioned, Poppy went industrial in 2019 with her single X. Then you have the pop punk bands or bands that look punk but are posers like Tramp Stamps. That said it seems to be certain songs if not artists, not a full trend. I hope I'm wrong and "Monsters" by All-Time Low was a tip of the iceberg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music