Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2008, 05:24 PM

1,129 posts, read 2,698,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
Funny,we had all Carpenters songs banned from our wedding
We did play 'Another One Bites the Dust' though

LOL! Did you get married in 1978?

I have a memory of my brothers and your's truly playing that song by Queen over and over and over again. Wore that record/song out. Definitely fit me at the time. Back then, I was just a wee little bug

Let me rack my brain....1978. Bad song from that period that I didn't like? Heart of Glass? Over played whenever it came out!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 06:20 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,472,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadybug View Post
LOL! Did you get married in 1978?
No,2005 The music doesn't have to be from that year,heck there's all kinds of old standards out there including Unchained Melody etc.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:54 PM

3,223 posts, read 10,098,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadybug View Post
You are in good company SP! Perhaps you should consider investing in a bottle of good "old" Geratol vitamins LOL. Just kidding! I'm not quite forty and I've been considering it!!!! Hehaw! My tribute to the late Jimmy Stewart as George Bailey in "IAWL!")

P.S. I know you aren't old!

Okay, back to the subject of this thread. I'd have to say "Blinded By The Light." Way over played for way too many years! Shoot, was that the title? It was written by Bruce "The Boss" Spring whatever. Did you hear my chuckle all the way over there in Ben and Jerry land?

I thought that "Blinded by the Light" gets way too much airplay on the classic rock stations even today, I cannot stand that song at all and Manfred Mann's Earth Band had some great songs that deserved to be better known such as "Runner" and "For You".

Old 06-10-2008, 09:48 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
I will never be able to get the mondegreen "Revved up like a douche" out of my head. Ever.

Old 06-10-2008, 11:17 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,933,932 times
Heck - I used to think it was wrapped up like a douche, which doesn't make it any better. Either way, I don't think Springsteen understood how those words would sound when bunched together as he was writing them. I would love to hear his take on it after all these years.

And Yesss! Couldn't agree with you more, Mopac: Manfred Mann's Earth Band deserves a far different placard to be remembered by. Anything from their '72 self titled LP would do for me.

And getting back to "I'll Never Fall In Love Again": It was a Burt Bacharach / Hal David composition. And they didn't put out too many clunkers. I kinda like Dionne's version, but then I like her 60s stuff. Didn't care for it much in the 60s, though, as I was into heavier things. But now it sounds pretty good to my ears.

I love this thread!

Last edited by square peg; 06-10-2008 at 11:28 PM..

Old 06-11-2008, 09:03 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,472,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
Heck - I used to think it was wrapped up like a douche, which doesn't make it any better. Either way, I don't think Springsteen understood how those words would sound when bunched together as he was writing them. I would love to hear his take on it after all these years.
He actually addressed that on one of his TV concerts not too long ago,I think it was on VH1 Storytellers.

Old 06-11-2008, 10:42 AM

5,120 posts, read 16,595,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I will never be able to get the mondegreen "Revved up like a douche" out of my head. Ever.
I think the correct lyric is: "Reved up light a deuce, another runner in the night."

Old 06-11-2008, 11:35 AM

54,494 posts, read 33,862,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post
Anything by the Carpenters. I hope i never hear that song again with the words ''What do you get when you fall in love ...you get enough germs to catch pneumonia'' as that's just awful !!!!

6/3
Aren't they called "The Carpenter" now, since Karen is gone?

Sorry, I know that's bad...

As Larry the Cable Guy puts it, "That aint right! Lord I apologize!"...

Old 06-11-2008, 11:38 AM

54,494 posts, read 33,862,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
"I want to kiss you all over, and over again?" Have no idea who the band was that released it.

Exile! Remember them?

Me neither...
LOL.. I think they got Exiled...

Old 06-11-2008, 12:02 PM

951 posts, read 1,654,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
I think the correct lyric is: "Reved up light a deuce, another runner in the night."
That is somewhat correct. It's actually "revved up like a deuce, another runner in the night"

Springsteen liked to write about cars and hotrods, with a "deuce" being what is referred to as a deuce coupe---a 1932 Ford Model B Three Window Coupe converted into a hot rod. Like this:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music