Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: U.K Usa
U.K. 9 50.00%
USA 9 50.00%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2021, 02:45 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,616,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey mouse is dead View Post
But when it comes to rock music, as we know rock music today, UK bands are highly regarded, more than US bands.

Record sales also support that argument.
Yes, The Dark Side of the Moon and all that. But Peter Frampton and The Police would have never been as successful without America. Andy Summers even says in his book that they could have basked in the fame they were enjoying on their home turf, but they "had to conquer America."

Frampton Comes Alive was recorded in San Francisco. The inner sleeve of Frampton's first solo album (Wind of Change, 1972) displays a photo of the Hollywood sign, taken from the street. It's not random.

The '70s were a time of experimentation when society wasn't as image-conscious (we were, just not like today). Crap like Swift's would've been short-lived in the '70s, and the classically-infused endeavors of Emerson, Lake & Palmer (one of my favorite bands) would've been desperate to find an audience in today's ADD-leaning market.

Quote:
I enjoy all music, but I understand where the OP is coming from.
She also made some questionable claims, e.g. singers (she also doesn't realize that Taylor Swift is big in the UK & Europe). The US has produced some of the best singers I've ever heard, including the best-ever rock singer, Ronnie James Dio. When it comes to hard rock and metal, nobody's vocals were better.

Btw, I've never heard The Clash referred to as "one of the best bands ever." One cannot and should not discount the plethora of quality acts we produced in the 60s-70s, like Alice Cooper, Frank Zappa, Kansas Todd Rundgren's Utopia, Blondie, Devo, Parliament/Funkadelic, Tower of Power, Chicago, Blue Öyster Cult, War, Jefferson Airplane/Starship and so on. They've influenced myriad others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2021, 05:16 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,061,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittycat56 View Post
I think the Uk has the best music I will tell you reasons since I'm from London.

It has the most successful bands like the Beattles , Rolling Stones ,Queen , Pink Flyod and the best selling girl and Spice Girls USA has better single singers like Michael Jackson,Elvis Presley, Whitney Houston.

Deep meaningful songs unlike American songs which generally about sex drugs , partying getting drunk ours have more depth just listen Adele Ed sheerans perfect is the cutest ever with snow a. At and pure love our happy songs are deep to such as walking on sunshine I guess our happy songs is sunshine and yours is partying there also deep American songs such as perfect by pink beautiful Christina angueria

Better role models there songs really inspire you they don't sit there naked smoking weed like Miley or Nikki Minaj S club made a song reach for the stars how inspirational I know USA has Taylor swift who is excellent role model does sexually expose herself on screen or smokes she also writes songs about bullying which is great.

Less patriotic American songs tend have titles with the word America American Us or USA in them such as party in the USA God bless the USA America the beautiful but you never hear British singers sing about the UK only London such as take ME back to London I know born in the USA by Bruce springston isn't patriotic but it been percived in that way.

More talent the reason for the success is that British can actually sing and don't need be to controversial such as Madonna or Riri they have real talent such Adele and Ed sheeran the most viewed YouTube after baby shark and despocito is shaper of you.
You seem very familiar. But yeah, I agree with you. Overall, I think that the UK does the best music (and I’m not just saying that because I’m a Brit ). Although, I do like some American bands as well, such as Nirvana and REM.

If you ask me, no-one does good lyrics plus good music to go with it, like British band Depeche Mode. Songwriter Martin Gore writes amazing lyrics, and Dave Gahan sings them with such emotion.

I have to be honest - I’m not fussed on Adele or Ed Sheeran. Adele is always whinging on, and I find Ed Sheeran’s music boring.

I’ve got a video just for you! Some S Club 7, that you like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50kP4S0peAs

That took me back! Although S Club also wrote about partying too, as there ain’t no party like an S Club party:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X0EjwF8o0g

Guess what? I saw a picture of Paul Cattermole from S Club the other day, and he’s looking like he’s going through an Ian Beale tramp phase these days. Not fussed on his hair:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...-ponytail.html

Old 08-04-2021, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Do they not teach reading and writing in the U.K. anymore? Yours is the most horribly written post I've seen in my years on this forum.

Your bias is overwhelming. You also move the goalposts so frequently, it's not worth my time to educate you and correct you on your limited worldview of American music in general.

Paul McCartney, a Brit, thought Jimi Hendrix, an American, was the greatest thing ever. Look it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
I tried to fix it Kittycat56, but I've never read a sentence like that. You speak English? That is not English!
That’s just the way Brits talk these days. I can understand perfectly well.

Old 08-04-2021, 06:58 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,616,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star10101 View Post
That’s just the way Brits talk these days. I can understand perfectly well.
I'm sure I could understand her, too, but it's painful to see her write in such a manner.

I can't stand Depeche Mode. Not everyone likes them.

Old 08-05-2021, 06:53 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,706,383 times
Quote:
I love music from the US, especially underground punk/hardcore/alternative bands from the 80’s (Bad Brains, Minor Threat, Meat Puppets, Dinosaur Jr., Husker Du, The Replacements, etc.).

But there is no denying that the UK has the most epic bands that actually invented actual music genres; bands like Black Sabbath, The Clash, The Who, Genesis, Pink Floyd, The Cure, The Specials, etc. Without those bands, a lot of the genres I have come to love wouldn’t have existed.

However, one era that I think US music smashed whatever was coming from the UK (Radiohead being the exemption), is the 90’s. The grunge movement spawned some of my favorite bands like Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Smashing Pumpkins, Stone Temple Pilots, etc. With the exception of Nirvana, I don’t think a lot of those US bands from the 90’s don’t get the credit they deserve. It’s a shame.

But there is no denying, when it comes to rock music, UK bands are engraved in the public psyche and will be celebrated for years and years to come.
Without Chuck Berry, James Brown, Elvis, Fast Domino, Howlin' Wolf, Jerry Lee Lewis, and Buddy Holly, none of those bands ever come into existence.

On the other hand, rock and roll largely died out as popular music in the United States in the late 50s/early 60s, only to be revived when it came roaring back across the ocean with the British Invasion.

You can pretend the classic era of rock and roll flowered as it did because of either the UK or the U.S., but not the other, but anyone who does is a total fool.

Dylan
Jimi Hendrix
The Beach Boys
Simon and Garfunkel
The Grateful Dead
The Doors
The Velvet Underground
Aretha
Blondie
B.B. King
The Ramones
Patti Smith
Springsteen
Prince

Note:
I am speaking only of influence here. I don't care for all of the artists listed above. But I suspect that most of the posters on this thread can't distinguish between 'what I like' and 'what matters' when it comes to music.

Old 08-05-2021, 07:56 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,696,101 times
UK has the Beatles and Queen, but some genres are totally and uniquely American.

Jazz, Johnny Cash, Loretta Lynn, Dolly Parton, Motown - all that music could only have been created in the good ole USA.

Old 12-19-2021, 09:10 AM

52 posts, read 49,481 times
I have listen to Adele and I have to say her new song is excellent it is called Easy on me.

Old 12-20-2021, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowingalot3 View Post
I have listen to Adele and I have to say her new song is excellent it is called Easy on me.
Oh God, it’s so depressing, just like the rest of her stuff. It’s not easy on my ears, that’s for certain! I wish I could like Adele’s songs, because she is half Welsh, but I just can’t listen to any of it.

I’m sure that she gets with blokes and then dumps them, just so she can write an album, moaning about all of it. I hope that she stays with her new fella, so we don’t get a new album about another break up.

Anyway, it’s nearly Christmas, so it’s time to listen to happier songs - not Adele. Maybe in January, when Christmas and New Year’s Eve have been and gone, and it’s cold and gloomy in the UK (and possibly we are locked down again). That could be a time to listen to Adele’s songs.

Old 12-20-2021, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
I'm sure I could understand her, too, but it's painful to see her write in such a manner.

I can't stand Depeche Mode. Not everyone likes them.
Maybe Depeche Mode don’t like you either. But at least they can say that they’ve sold over 100 million records - and yes, that’s me buying most of them!

How many records have you sold, eh? None, I bet…

Old 03-09-2022, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittycat56 View Post
It has the most successful bands like the Beattles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowingalot3 View Post
Meow, did you see that Kittycat56 mentions “the Beattles”? Well, our Music teacher in school used to make us sing along to The Beatles nearly every lesson (instead of actually teaching us anything about music, or getting us to learn any instruments - apart from the recorder, which sounded awful).

Anyway, we had to sing the same Beatles songs over and over again, for about two years… and they weren’t even their best ones. We sang ‘Yellow Submarine’ but the class changed the lyrics to “We all live in a tub of margarine”.

We also sang ‘When I’m Sixty Four’, but I was only 14 at the time, and I remember thinking to myself “I’ve got another 50 years to be worrying about this sort of thing”. And we sang ‘Yesterday’, which at the time made Music lessons seem a bit depressing (but not as depressing as Adele).

Do you think I could now change my mind about Beatles songs, or is it too late for me?

By the way, our Music teacher went on to marry our PE teacher. That was a surprise, because we always used to think she was a lesbian!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music