Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
I only like modern rock. 3 7.14%
I like both, but prefer modern rock. 6 14.29%
I only like classic rock. 10 23.81%
I like both, but prefer classic rock. 23 54.76%
I don't really like rock and roll music. 0 0%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 09:13 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,604,165 times

Advertisements

I like a well written song ...I don't care if it was written 2 months ago or 50 years ago ...it just happens to be IMO that alot of great songs were written in what is now refered to as the "classic rock" era ...which is vaguely from the mid 1960's to the mid-1970's ....there are alot of sociological reasons why that maybe other posters can explain ...artists like the Bob Dylan ...the Beatles ..Jimi Hendrix ... etc were breaking the old "rules" and expanding what popular music could say and sound like

Music was just part of a huge social change that happened during that time ...it effected ..everything ....fashion ...movies ...TV ...and music was on the forefront ...music expanded beyond "boy meets girl" love songs

The key point really is that music meant more ...today it doesn't seem to carry the same weight ...alot more distractions ...video games ..the internet ...music isn't the big deal it once was

Even early Beatles songs were just pop (albeit very catchy well written pop) ..."She Loves You" ...I Want To Hold Your Hand" ...etc ...all teenage type love songs ...then on August 28 1964 The Beatles met Bob Dylan ....he told them they were wasting their talent ...after that The Beatles gradually started to write deeper more meaningful songs ...starting with "Help!" and later "Strawberry Fields Forever" ...far beyond a simple pop tune ...

Other groups followed their example ...and took music to totally new soundscapes that couldn't have been even imagined just a few years before

By the mid 1970's this magic era of music was almost over ...groups were bloated ...the spirit of the 1960's a distant memory ...the excesses took there toll ...every tour had to be bigger than the last ....and excessive drug consumption, especially cocaine and heroin damaged alot of musicians ....even groups like Led Zeppelin were not immune...from late 1975 on Jimmy Page was strung out on heroin ...also Rolling Stones' Keith Richards ....and countless others, they were the lucky ones ...others not so lucky died ....Tommy Bolin (Deep Purple)...Paul Kossof (Free)....Jim Morrison (The Doors)....Janis Joplin ..... Jimmy McCullough (Wings)

Does that mean there are no great songs since 1975 ...NO but there aren't as many and they're harder to "find" ...just like there are 500 channels on TV (instead of 4 or 5 channels 30 years ago) ...there are alot "indie" type "alternate" bands on tiny labels that are below the radar for most casual fans ....back in the 60's and 70's there were 10 to 20 really big groups (like Pink Floyd ,Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath) and below them 50 to 100 second tier bands that could still fill arenas

I tend to listen to classic rock mostly but I also like "modern rock"
U2 , REM , The Stone Roses, Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots
but I have to admit this decade has not been great for music (the 90's were definitely better ...though I do like Cold Play)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 09:00 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Can't say I don't like classic rock -- I grew up listening to it, and some fine music was made in the 60s and 70s. But give me R.E.M. and Depeche Mode any day over the Who and Pink Floyd.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:18 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,478,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Can't say I don't like classic rock -- I grew up listening to it, and some fine music was made in the 60s and 70s. But give me R.E.M. and Depeche Mode any day over the Who and Pink Floyd.
I forgive you for your blaspheme!! Give me 3 Hail Marys and vow to never say such evil things again My Child!!

Old 05-28-2008, 10:15 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,469,463 times
I don't really expect chicks to dig classic rock anyways,it's more of a dude thing. Same with metal. Sure there are some exceptions but that's generally the rule. Actually I think I can tell alot about a woman by the music she listens to.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:22 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
I'm a Generation Y chick who likes classic rock and metal. But let's fact it- prior to the 90s, metal was a poor excuse for music. And American metal has ALWAYS been embarrassing.

The way I see it, there's just as much crap music from the 60s and 70s as there is crap music from today. People just like it for the nostalgia factor, regardless of how horrible some of it was.

When I say I like classic "rock", I'm talking about Neil Young, Warren Zevon, Nick Drake, Bob Dylan, post-drug induced Beatles, the Grateful Dead, Led Zepplin, Yes, and Pink Floyd. Much beyond that is in the same level of today's Nickleback.

Today is one of the best times ever for music. You can go online and hunt down great "local" bands from nowhere near you. Sure, music on the radio sucks, but it's been like that ever since disco. You have to dig deeper.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:32 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
Actually I think I can tell alot about a woman by the music she listens to.
I shudder to think.

Old 05-28-2008, 01:27 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,135,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I'm a Generation Y chick who likes classic rock and metal. But let's fact it- prior to the 90s, metal was a poor excuse for music. And American metal has ALWAYS been embarrassing.

The way I see it, there's just as much crap music from the 60s and 70s as there is crap music from today. People just like it for the nostalgia factor, regardless of how horrible some of it was.

When I say I like classic "rock", I'm talking about Neil Young, Warren Zevon, Nick Drake, Bob Dylan, post-drug induced Beatles, the Grateful Dead, Led Zepplin, Yes, and Pink Floyd. Much beyond that is in the same level of today's Nickleback.

Today is one of the best times ever for music. You can go online and hunt down great "local" bands from nowhere near you. Sure, music on the radio sucks, but it's been like that ever since disco. You have to dig deeper.

Well said!

Old 05-29-2008, 02:43 AM

37 posts, read 103,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
A fair enough sentiment, though, I would counter with this:

YouTube - The Who - Won't Get Fooled Again (live)

Yes, the outfits are funny, the acoustics are terrible, and the whole thing feels unpolished, but to me, it's a sermon on how a concert should be.
If the point at 7:38 doesn't make you're heart skip a beat, you're probably dead already. Though, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Old 05-29-2008, 06:07 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,318,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
But let's fact it- prior to the 90s, metal was a poor excuse for music. And American metal has ALWAYS been embarrassing.
You have apparantly never heard any good metal.
Some of the bands from the 80s are still active today and as good as ever.
And american metal are more than hairspray and makeup.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:52 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,469,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker View Post
That just reminded me of something I've got saved in my faves...

YouTube - Van Halen - Won't Get Fooled Again live on 5150 studio
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music