Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2008, 03:05 PM

1,129 posts, read 2,698,936 times

Advertisements

groups and artists from long ago?

The Dave Clark Five
Buffy Sainte-Marie (I'd be impressed by anyone who knows who she is!)
Tommy James And The Shondells
The Lovin' Spoonful
Joe Cocker
The Kingston Trio?

Last edited by jadybug; 05-28-2008 at 04:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 03:13 PM

23,857 posts, read 71,325,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadybug View Post
The Dave Clark Five
One of the few bands from the period I like.
But I have only heard two or three songs.

Yes,I have heard of Buffy´s name,but I don´t remember hearing any songs.

Old 05-28-2008, 03:54 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,188,789 times
The Dave Clark Five - Catch Us If You Can
Buffy St. Marie - Performance (soundtrack)
Tommy James And The Shondells - Crimson and Clover
The Lovin' Spoonful - Do You Believe In Magic
Joe Cocker - She Came in Through The Bathroom Window
The Kingston Trio - Tom Dooley

Yes I am very familiar with all of them. I resisted listing "Charlie On The MTA" for the Kingston Trio Crimson and Clover at the beginning of those 60's times. Dave Clark and the rest of the "British Invasion." I listed the soundtrack of cult favorite movie "Performance" for Buffy as it is my most memorable and loved of her performances. However she was in the forefront of social commentary songs during the difficult Viet Nam years, and also well know for her beautiful chants and the mouth bow.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:56 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,933,932 times
At one time, the DC5 were the number two British band in the states behind some other long-forgotten group out of Liverpool. There isn't a better romantic pop song than Because. They weren't so much a guitar band like most others of their day. They relied on keys, sax, reverb - and wickedly powerful drums provided by Mr. DC. Should have been in the R&R HOF back in the 80s.

Buffy Ste Marie's Piney Wood Hills is an all-time favorite of mine. Universal Soldier, Up Where We Belong and Starwalker, too. Very tempted to put on one of her albums right now.

Tommy James - What a string of 60s hits! His inspiration for Mony Mony (Mutual of NY's billboard) was, as they say, a stroke of genius. I guess he nearly died at one point from drug abuse.

I grew up on The Lovin' Spoonful's tunes. John Sebastian was a hero right through Woodstock and beyond. His self-titled solo album from 1970 is still one of my cherished records.

To me, Joe Cocker always looked like a train wreck waiting to happen. He wasn't gifted with chiseled looks, cool moves, or a beautiful voice, but still, he still became quite an attraction that fans have flocked to for, well, quite some time. I don't think anyone realy could dislike this guy.

The Kingston Trio I know so little about. But I love Scotch and Soda!

Old 05-29-2008, 07:51 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
I loved Tommy James and the Shondells back in the day. My favorite songs are some of their more obscure ones: "Sugar on Sunday" and "Do Something to Me" from Crimson and Clover, "Out of the Blue" From Something Special, or "Gettin' Together."

Some of their later stuff was hilarious -- and unfortunately, quite drug-induced -- like "Papa Rolled His Own" and "On Behalf of the Entire Staff and Management" from Cellophane Symphony, or "I Am A Tangerine" from Crimson and Clover.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:05 AM

1,507 posts, read 3,132,827 times
never listened ----was and still am a motown fan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music