U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 07-15-2008, 08:36 PM
 
Location: Arizona, The American Southwest
43,182 posts, read 20,163,976 times
Reputation: 81537

Advertisements

What is the difference between rap and hip hop, does anybody know?

I never can stand rap either, and it definitely shows the level our society has sunk to now, when very impressionable teen-agers are able to buy this garbage and listen to it. There's nothing more annoying than hearing the thumping noise from somebody else's car, who has the audio system cranked up. Nobody else wants to listen that garbage but you, so there's no need to turn the volume loud enough, so others can hear it over a quarter of a mile down the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-15-2008, 09:53 PM
 
2,955 posts, read 5,010,800 times
Reputation: 1868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
[b]What is the difference between rap and hip hop, does anybody know?
Hey, you asked...

Rap music is one of 4 elements of Hip-Hop culture. The other 3 are: breakdancing, graffiti art, and dj-ing. All 4 things were what hip-hop was about in the early days. In the 70s and even early 80s, rap was probably the least important of all 4 elements - times change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2008, 10:39 AM
 
Location: Wandering the halls aimlessly...Hello? Is anyone there?
307 posts, read 305,144 times
Reputation: 129
No not really...its still garbage. I dont see where times have changed that much! I just sayin!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2008, 10:46 AM
 
2,955 posts, read 5,010,800 times
Reputation: 1868
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterscorpion View Post
No not really...its still garbage. I dont see where times have changed that much! I just sayin!
You just sayin'...you don't know anything about Hip-Hop.
I realize that won't change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2008, 10:52 AM
 
Location: Wandering the halls aimlessly...Hello? Is anyone there?
307 posts, read 305,144 times
Reputation: 129
Default my response..

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
Hey - wow - I have not heard that one before.
What an original, clever, and meaningful statement...

Did you know this?: Hip-Hop is "SHip-SHop" without the "S"!
Wow the virtues of education never cease to amaze me. Lets get rid of the SHip - SHop and and edit it somewhat shall we? Take the "P" in SHip and replace it with a "T"...there thats more of an appropriate decription for this kind of music.

As far as meaningful statements go, I see your just as quick witted as I am. Must have taken you what? All of three seconds to come up with that response?

Your sarcasm is duly noted...however the fact still remains....Rap stinks. Thanks for the response
Winter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2008, 01:13 PM
 
Location: Orlando, FL
12,157 posts, read 10,826,125 times
Reputation: 6375
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterscorpion View Post
I wouldnt be me if I didnt chime in here. .
and I would not be me if I didn’t laugh several times at all the nonsense that follows this statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterscorpion View Post
First things first....
Most of your "Rap" music is sampled from other musicians and lyrics so get off the originality kick ok? .
Yes no rappers ever come with their own music or lyrics. And rappers are the only genre that ever samples from other musicians and lyrics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterscorpion View Post
Where your argument falters is when you bring up the fact that its no different than todays music. I beg to differ. At least when they sang about what they were feeling, it was just that, SINGING. You have some meathead who dresses like a thug, can sling a few rhymes, and all of a sudden he's the next best thing? It makes me sick, really. .
Comments like this make me sick, really. First off, rappers don’t sing. If they did, they’d be called singers. Had you bothered to read the thread at all, you would have seen that most of the people on this thread have already talked about those one hit wonders like Soulja Boy and Plies who have no talent. It seems that you’re getting your knowledge of rap music from 15 year-old, who are usually the only people who like those non-talented meatheads who dress like thugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterscorpion View Post
Yeah music addresses many different issues to include social and worldwide problems. I pose this question to you....when's the last time you saw someone get jumped, shot, beat up or accosted at an Air Supply Concert? You cant say that about a NAS concert, a P.Diddy (or whatever the hell his name is this month) concert, a 50 cent concert and the list goes on and on. Whens the last time someone was shot to death at an Ojays concert? Oh but rap music represent the angst of society's urban youth. Give me a break will you? God if these so called musicians had and talent at all they would be writing thier own lyrics, writing thier own music, and carving thier place in history instead of trudging head long into infamy by way of guns, violence, and the perpetuation of the drug culture. .
I don’t know who Air Supply is so I guess I’ve never heard of that happening. But I just did a google search for fight at diddy concert – nothing came up; fight at nas concert – something came up in London, fight at 50 cent concert – not that I consider 50 anything more than an entertainer, only thing I found there is in Canada. But I’m not the best google searcher, can you give me links to all these fights and shootings. Besides that though, when certain high schools from Miami and Ft. Lauderdale would come play my school they would have extra police around because every year there was a shooting, I’m sure that all these kids who decide to shoot up their schools these days are listening to Busta Rhymes rights before they go inside. Perhaps it has nothing to do with music; perhaps it’s a sign of poor upbringing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterscorpion View Post
I read alot of the posts in this thread and one made mention to the attire my child would wear should they adopt these so called musicians ideologies. First, I've taught my kids to respect themselves and others. Any person that wears his pants at knee level for the sake of fashion is a complete and utter idiot. Second of all, they have dignity. They have been taught to act appropriately when dealing with others, and to be respectful to those around them. Image and self respect go along way, unless your trying to get into a gang then its not appropriate to be a decent human being! .
Then your child shouldn’t have any problem dressing regardless of what they listen to. I used to listen to TLC but you didn’t see me running around with condoms safety pinned to my clothes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterscorpion View Post
I pose this question to all who read this....if you had a daughter and she was thirteen and wanted to go out wearing hip hugger pants sporting that new hello kitty thong (which is clearly visable to any and all who walk by) would you be ok with it? What kind of message are you sending to those around you? Trust me when I say that I see this all the time and it sickens me. Now lets let this same young naive little girl go to a Rap concert....hmmmmmm. Most of you can see where I'm going with this. .
First question should be why are you buying a 13 year old hip huggers and thongs? Would it be okay for her to wear this outfit if she was going to see Hannah Montana? I don’t understand what that has to do with rap music. The only young girls who want to grow up to dress and act like the women they see in rap videos are the ones who don’t have a strong female present in their lives. Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterscorpion View Post
I will say this before closing...."Rap" is "CRap" without the "C". The oldies are awesome and you should be ashamed to include them in the same category with this garbage. .
You say rap is crap and there is spelled thEIr – now we both stated something that the other doesn't agree with. So much for the virtues of education, huh? It kinda makes you look bad when you try to call other people stupid and misspell the same word over and over and over again in one post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterscorpion View Post
As far as anyone else who likes this crap, I'm sorry as you have either not let go of the adolescent phase yet or you still have a lot of growing up to do. Come see me when you have children who are at impressionable ages then we'll talk. Till then, keep your crap music away from me and off our airwaves.
So many people push that parenting angle but that is such garbage. My parents let me listen to whatever I chose growing up. All that did was let me figure out on my own what I liked and didn’t like. I spent just as much time listening to my mom’s Stephanie Mills records as I did listening to my brother’s Public Enemy tapes. I think having a wide variety of music around me at a young age gave me a healthy appreciation for all genres and helped me decipher good music from garbage. I truly feel sorry for all the people who think they must keep a certain type of music away from their kids because it might pollute their minds because if they’re children are so impressionable that they can be influenced by a song then they aren’t going to stand a chance once they hit high school. And please don't start with that teenagers are impressionable crap because I just stopped being a teenager myself. Yes, your friends may influence where you eat lunch. Your friends may even influence which boy you decide to sit next to at the pep rally. But if your child is dressing a certain way or acting a certain way because all of their friend's do then music is the least of your problems.

The real answer should have been "i don't like rap music because it has more control over my child than I do."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2008, 01:53 PM
 
Location: Wandering the halls aimlessly...Hello? Is anyone there?
307 posts, read 305,144 times
Reputation: 129
Ahhh yes the virtues of youth and innocence. Your argument is falling on deaf ears mam....deaf from the excessive bass, horrible lyrics, and **** poor attitudes of those who would support and promote this senseless nonsense.

I challenge you to walk into any middle school in any large city in America and not find one young woman woman who dresses in this fashion. Once again your youth has clouded your ability to see the rationality of my statements, causing you to think more with your heart than with your brain. Nonetheless I wish you well and hope that your children grow up to be productive members of society.

Winter.....brrrrr is it cold in here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2008, 01:59 PM
 
Location: Orlando, FL
12,157 posts, read 10,826,125 times
Reputation: 6375
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterscorpion View Post
Ahhh yes the virtues of youth and innocence. Your argument is falling on deaf ears mam....deaf from the excessive bass, horrible lyrics, and **** poor attitudes of those who would support and promote this senseless nonsense.

I challenge you to walk into any middle school in any large city in America and not find one young woman woman who dresses in this fashion. Once again your youth has clouded your ability to see the rationality of my statements, causing you to think more with your heart than with your brain. Nonetheless I wish you well and hope that your children grow up to be productive members of society.

Winter.....brrrrr is it cold in here?
Again that's a problem with parenting. I grew up in the era where daisy dukes and body suits were what all the girls were wearing but I didn't have them because my mother wouldn't buy them for me. Most middle schoolers don't have jobs so where are they going to get these clothes if their parents aren't buying them?

So once again the answer goes back to "I hate rap music because my child listens to it more than he/she listens to me"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2008, 02:09 PM
 
Location: Wandering the halls aimlessly...Hello? Is anyone there?
307 posts, read 305,144 times
Reputation: 129
NO mam, I hate rap because it S-T-I-N-K-S! Im not sure how much more blunt I can be. And for the record, my kids do not listen to that trash.....period! What they do outside of my view is thiers alone to answer to. I've given them the coping skills and instilled good judgement in them. Amazingly enough, theres no C-Rap music in any of thier libraries....hmmm I wonder why? Maybe because my oldest daughter feels the same way i do, and trust me when I say she listens to some off the wall music. So your argument is once again shot down.

I wish you well in your daisey dukes and body suits...really. Ahhh yes, I remember the eighteis and nineties...

Winter....just keep swimming, just keep swimming...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2008, 02:32 PM
 
Location: Orlando, FL
12,157 posts, read 10,826,125 times
Reputation: 6375
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterscorpion View Post
NO mam, I hate rap because it S-T-I-N-K-S! Im not sure how much more blunt I can be. And for the record, my kids do not listen to that trash.....period! What they do outside of my view is thiers alone to answer to. I've given them the coping skills and instilled good judgement in them. Amazingly enough, theres no C-Rap music in any of thier libraries....hmmm I wonder why? Maybe because my oldest daughter feels the same way i do, and trust me when I say she listens to some off the wall music. So your argument is once again shot down.

I wish you well in your daisey dukes and body suits...really. Ahhh yes, I remember the eighteis and nineties...

Winter....just keep swimming, just keep swimming...
Okay you hate rap music because it S-T-I-N-K-S! I guess you felt the need to spell it out like that to prove you are capable of spelling something correctly, huh? Okay and if your kids do not listen to that trash then why did you feel the need to go on and on about how these poor impressionable children are being influenced by the big bad rap music? Maybe because your children don't like rap music? You know that sometimes happens...I don't particularly care for Jazz.

Oh and that whole comment about wishing me well in my daisy dukes..."really" makes me wonder how old you are...really. Because I don't see the relevance in something I wanted as an adolescent with the topic here, but then again relevance hasn't been your strong point in this thread, has it.

But there's really no need for you to reply (even though I'm sure you will anyway) because unlike some of the others who have posted on this thread, your posts have proved to be filled with nothing but judgmental elementary level jabs and thus really have no content and therefore I won't be responding to them anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:16 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top