U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 06-04-2009, 03:26 PM

2,801 posts, read 1,693,025 times
The way it's performed is angry and in your face. If anyone has ever been really threatening toward you this is how they often look and sound along with using that type of body language. I don't appreciate listening to music that makes me feel like a victim and maybe someone would like to pop a cap in my crown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 06-04-2009, 03:30 PM

9,000 posts, read 8,004,315 times
It is generally seen as black or "urban" [a more PC way of saying black or ghetto..]....and therefore that's not good.

Unread 06-04-2009, 03:38 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,816,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
The way it's performed is angry and in your face. If anyone has ever been really threatening toward you this is how they often look and sound along with using that type of body language. I don't appreciate listening to music that makes me feel like a victim and maybe someone would like to pop a cap in my crown.
You're mostly describing Gangsta Rap or Hardcore Rap.

Hip-Hop is like any music genre, it has many different forms and elements. I'm sure if you were tolisten to artists like Common, Talib Kwali, Lupe Fiasco, etc, these artist are more poetic in their form and approach in the way they preform and express their lyrics.

Unread 06-04-2009, 03:58 PM

215 posts, read 326,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post
Your opinion is just that. However, when you pass your opinion on as a fact, you doing a disservice to yourself.
How did I pass it of as a fact? By stating something I believe? That is pure opinion! Nothing in this thread is fact it is everyone's opinion on rap music.

Unread 06-04-2009, 04:08 PM

2,784 posts, read 4,039,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUGUY87 View Post
I see a bandwagon fan, root for whoever is good at the time. It does suck plain and simple! There is no creativity and the lyrics are horrendous. If you can find me an example of a good rap song then I'll consider it music. Until then it's nothing more then trash!

You cant spell Crap without rap!!!!!!!
I've been a Gators fan since I was born, but nice try.
Again, try some sort of intelligent response if you wish to discredit rap. Thanks.

Unread 06-04-2009, 04:13 PM

2,784 posts, read 4,039,197 times
Quote:
How did I pass it of as a fact? By stating something I believe? That is pure opinion! Nothing in this thread is fact it is everyone's opinion on rap music.
Quote:
It does suck plain and simple! There is no creativity and the lyrics are horrendous. If you can find me an example of a good rap song then I'll consider it music. Until then it's nothing more then trash!
This would be stating it as fact.

Unread 06-04-2009, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
This would be stating it as fact.
Nope that's me stating my opinion, if you want to take it as fact thats fine.

Unread 06-04-2009, 04:44 PM

1,825 posts, read 3,406,549 times
Honestly? I can't understand the majority of rap- as far the "lyrics" go. I mean, I can't discern the words enough to actually hear what they are saying PLUS, I often don't "get" the sentiment. Much of hardcore rap *is* about urban issues (and since I live in a itty bitty town on small island in MAINE...I don't identify with those urban issues). I have yet to hear a hardcore rapper rapping about getting his pick-up truck stuck in the mud, or having to call the cows in, YKWIM? I like some of the ones that I can understand the lyrics to, or the ones that I can identify with in some way, but for the most part... that doesn't happen.

I also don't understand why..
A. This thread is SO LONG! Holy Rap!
B. Why people have to explain (or defend) why they don't like or don't like a certain kind of music. It either moves you or it doesn't, and not everyone likes the same thing. I'm sure there are a lot of people that cringe when they hear country, heavy metal or gospel. I love me some Johnny Cash, but I am quite aware that not everyone else does.

Unread 06-04-2009, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
Honestly? I can't understand the majority of rap- as far the "lyrics" go. I mean, I can't discern the words enough to actually hear what they are saying PLUS, I often don't "get" the sentiment. Much of hardcore rap *is* about urban issues (and since I live in a itty bitty town on small island in MAINE...I don't identify with those urban issues). I have yet to hear a hardcore rapper rapping about getting his pick-up truck stuck in the mud, or having to call the cows in, YKWIM? I like some of the ones that I can understand the lyrics to, or the ones that I can identify with in some way, but for the most part... that doesn't happen.

I also don't understand why..
A. This thread is SO LONG! Holy Rap!
B. Why people have to explain (or defend) why they don't like or don't like a certain kind of music. It either moves you or it doesn't, and not everyone likes the same thing. I'm sure there are a lot of people that cringe when they hear country, heavy metal or gospel. I love me some Johnny Cash, but I am quite aware that not everyone else does.

Unread 06-04-2009, 04:51 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,816,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUGUY87
It's my opinion you don't have to agree with it. In my opinion rap is not music!
Rap is rap and I hate it!

This is where you stated an opinion as a fact.

In my opinion, Pluto is still a planet. But, does it make it true?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music