Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2009, 04:44 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,539,180 times

Advertisements

YouTube - Digable Planets - Rebirth of Slick (Cool Like Dat)...

NO COMPARISON................

YouTube - Hurricane Chris featuring Superstarr - Halle Berry (She's Fine)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 10:55 AM

1,194 posts, read 1,741,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
Like Charles22 mentioned above....Rap/ Hip-hop was quite good from about 1988 to about 1996. Then Puff Daddy came into existance and it all went downhill and became overly commercial. Now all the rappers and hip-hop artists over use that voice correction crap which makes them sound like robots. Very very annoying. Last good hiphop song I can remember was "99 Problems" by Jay-Z...and that was what, 6 years ago???
Imo don't think that Puff Daddy single handedly watered down Hip Hop, I think it was already commercialized. Rappers were straying away from concious lyrics back in the early 90s. The industry gave props to material things and violence and it manifested. Other aspects of hip hop culture waned for various reasons too. Now, talent is lacking. Puff *may* have aided the process but at least he had artists under his label like the Notorious B.I.G., Craig Mack and Mase for example.

Old 09-17-2009, 06:08 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,826,282 times
also all hip hop isnt sampling theres so much hip hop out there..you ust cant hear it all im gonna upload a hip hop album and give me your opinion

Old 09-17-2009, 08:02 PM

408 posts, read 723,550 times
In my short amount of time on earth, I've found that alot of people who hate (and I mean....HATE) rap, are usually the same people who don't like minorities.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:01 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,394,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackZappa301 View Post
In my short amount of time on earth, I've found that alot of people who hate (and I mean....HATE) rap, are usually the same people who don't like minorities.
Well then, you need both a wider range of acquaintences, and more time on Earth.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:07 PM

408 posts, read 723,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
Well then, you need both a wider range of acquaintences, and more time on Earth.
well played, but to completely shut out a genre of music IMO has to be indicative of something more. It's one thing to say I've never really had the notion to give rap a chance, or, I don't like what I've heard. But to say you HATE it (which is what I'm talking about.. Hate) is kind of telling. It's almost as bad as my blanket statement.

I still would like more time on earth and acquaintances though.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:08 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,898,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
That can be said about just about any genre of music - some people just like to play their music loud. This morning I was on the highway and an old Patti Labelle song came on so I turned it up (so it could drown out my bad singing). I somehow doubt anyone I passed by heard it and said "God, that makes me hate R&B music."

Besides if the person playing the rap music is blasting their music how are they going to hear your Beethoven?
If I were "blasting" Beethoven, they might just be sitting on a porch, or at a convenience store, not playing music themselves. My music may annoy them, but I wouldn't be blasting Beethoven on a loud stereo boom bass. I wouldn't have one of those "bung shakers" in my car if it was free. Attention new "meme" Bungshaker Stereos.
Hey man, I see you got a new bungshaker !

Old 09-17-2009, 09:18 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,078,843 times
I don't think it's about race. A lot of people just don't like the whole gangsta/thug culture that rap music is advocating.

Most people I know really like intelligent rap like Mos Def, Immortal Technique, Talib Kweli and the old school stuff.

We just don't like the rap that is all about gangbangin, diamonds, rims on the car, bein' hard, runnin da streets, blah blah blah. That stuff has gotten SOOOOOO old. It's become a mockery of itself, just like what happened to punk rock and hair metal.

Being a good rapper who rhymes intelligently and well is very difficult. So there are lots of idiots out there rapping and putting out terrible songs.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:39 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,307,616 times
Please tell me what you guys think of this

YouTube - Wind Blows- Zoser featuring Kamilah Sumner

HOT OR NOT!!??? Cuz I think this just flawless

Old 09-18-2009, 05:23 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,780,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackZappa301 View Post
well played, but to completely shut out a genre of music IMO has to be indicative of something more. It's one thing to say I've never really had the notion to give rap a chance, or, I don't like what I've heard. But to say you HATE it (which is what I'm talking about.. Hate) is kind of telling. It's almost as bad as my blanket statement.

I still would like more time on earth and acquaintances though.
Dude, trying to get young people to listen to jazz is like trying to make my dog play the guitar: all but impossible. I have worked with so-called hipsters and believe me, they don't want to bother with Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Cannonball Adderley or Wes Montgomery. It's not because they hate black people but because it just doesn't suit their tastes in music.

I remember Robert Hilburn, the L.A. Times rock critic, accusing those who thought disco was sonic bat guano of basing that antipathy on racial reasons.

So let's look at the totals here: I tried to turn people on to jazz and delta blues but I hated disco (just as I also can't listen to trance music favored by white kids who go to raves) so now I'm a racist. Riiiiggghhhtttt.

And the same emptyheaded and irresponsible charge that Hilburn made is akin to those who claim that folks who don't feel an affinity for rap are a bunch of ignorant bigots. Meanwhile, most of those rappers wouldn't know Billie Holiday, Eddie Jefferson, Hubert Sumlin and Duke Ellington from a hole in the ground. So I guess that makes young blacks racist, right?

Last edited by RobE; 09-18-2009 at 05:24 AM.. Reason: bad syntax
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music