Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2008, 09:08 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
I guess I see it differently.I think people like rap because they dont know anything about melody,rythym,continuity,hook or intelligent content. But hey. Our differences are what makes the world go round.
Hmm, that comment right there only proves to me that you don't know what you're talking about.

Not only does some rap contain all those things, but did it ever occur to you that some hip-hop fans are also fans of jazz, the blues, rock, country, etc.? Did it ever occur to you that some hip-hop fans are also fans of the type of music you like?

It seems that in your mind, hip-hop's fans only consist of ignorant people who aren't capable of enjoying anything but rap, and that's the furthest thing from the truth.

And rap and hip-hop has its roots in jazz, soul music, gospel, and R & B--four genres that are the BEST at melody, rhythm, continuity, hook and intelligent content.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten_Udder View Post
I can't say that my enjoyment of any music is correlated to dancing.
Well, then you wouldn't be that 65% of folk

But in 2008, that is rap's main purpose: to dance to. Not that it's about race, but it's no coincidence that just about half of black music is made for dancing since dance is such a heavy part of African American culture.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:16 AM

Quote:
It's subjective. It's not that it's music or not to everyone. I agree that whether some sound or another counts as music depends on how the listener mentally "frames" the sound. That also implies that one thing can be music at some times and not others, to the same person. That happens with me, for example, depending on whether I'm trying to block out the stereo because I'm trying to talk on the phone, say--then I hear that background sound just as "noise" that I'd rather have off--or whether I'm attending to it because I'm enjoying listening to it (as music).

I don't agree that anything is objectively music or not, although there is certainly a sense of the term "music" where people frequently mean certain types of sounds as opposed to others, where those sounds are the result of particular kinds of cultural practices, etc.
I don't know. Maybe it's just because I'm such a die hard music junkie that I'm able to find beauty in all of it. Even the stuff I don't like.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:57 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,375,135 times
Quote:
That's all I was clarifying. And then I added that whether one is open-minded or not, one is not going to experience everything there is to experience. It's simply impossible. So one HAS to exclude some things there are to experience anyway, and being closed-minded about some things is one way to make those exclusions (a way that I think is not a problem).
Well I guess we're just misunderstanding each other. Let me explain how I read you post. Let's change "music" to "food" though just for fun. Lets look past all the health side affects though shall we.

Quote:
There's nothing wrong with avoiding entire food groups. you're probably going to miss a lot of good food no matter what you do.There are many food groups - you could spend a lifetime eating from just one group--there are many groups with thousands and thousands of foods in them.You can't just eat them all and you especially can't get to know them all very well.You could start eating right now and eating different foods 24 hours a day for the rest of your life, and never taste anything other than a small percentage of food. So by necessity, you got to exclude some food, and that's especially true if you want to get to know any food well.
Okay so this is your comment with my creative substitutions. How i understood this was "well if you want to really enjoy beef and get to know beef really well, then you have to exclude chicken. You can't really get a in-depth analysis of beef if you add chicken into the mix. Chicken is bad. Chicken is the enemy. Kick the damn chicken!"

Okay so I'm being over-the-top mostly because I'm kinda done with this topic but also to prove my point. I know tons of people who will taste something they've eaten or never heard of, that doesn't look particularly good or even smell good just for the fun of it. Just to try it. Just to experiment. Can't say I don't like it until I try it. They didn't plan on eating goat cheese and eel stuffed mushrooms with caramel drizzle but when it was placed in front of them they thought "lets give it a try!"

But then when it comes to rap music "I like that melody, it reminds me of a song from the 60's (cause it's probably sampled)" Then they find out it's rap and the world ends. "That's not music! That's cRap! That's garbage! Rap is bad! Rap is the enemy! Kick the damn rapper!"

Anyway, I'm pretty much done with this topic - I like rap so I'm going to create my own thread about why I like it. All those who hate it feel free to remain here. Toodles!

Old 12-17-2008, 02:11 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,742,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Bull$#!t. Rap IS music. EVERYTHING that is a genre is music. Rock/Alternative in general is soooo dull to me, but that doesn't mean I get to say that it isn't music.
Of course rap is music. The point of that post was to say that not everyone likes it but it is what it is. Everybody doesn't have the same taste in music, because if so we wouldn't have this long thread about it and thus the extremes in opinions

Rap is deliberate, and therefore it is music. Last time I checked, I could change my radio station from Rap/HipHop to Country to Rock, to etc...

Old 12-17-2008, 09:09 PM

3,440 posts, read 5,717,053 times
Quote:
Hmm, that comment right there only proves to me that you don't know what you're talking about.

Not only does some rap contain all those things, but did it ever occur to you that some hip-hop fans are also fans of jazz, the blues, rock, country, etc.? Did it ever occur to you that some hip-hop fans are also fans of the type of music you like?

It seems that in your mind, hip-hop's fans only consist of ignorant people who aren't capable of enjoying anything but rap, and that's the furthest thing from the truth.

And rap and hip-hop has its roots in jazz, soul music, gospel, and R & B--four genres that are the BEST at melody, rhythm, continuity, hook and intelligent content.
I have told people on this forum that I used to be a classical pianist, now I am a jazz/blues pianist. I am a college graduate. I have never been to jail, never done anything criminal.

I don't rape, steal, assault, kill ect.

I love hip hop obviously. I love writing hip hop poetry.

Too many stereotypes.

Many races of people love hip hop.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Well, then you wouldn't be that 65% of folk

But in 2008, that is rap's main purpose: to dance to. Not that it's about race, but it's no coincidence that just about half of black music is made for dancing since dance is such a heavy part of African American culture.
That's another point I made, how people of other races(not all) do not understand black music in its purpose, spirit and essense.

Rythmn, poetry and music was a main component of ancient african civilization, when it was actually more advanced than the indo european civilizations before slavery.

Think of hip hop and jazz as an extention of the gifts of our ancestors.

Hip hop is an extention of jazz, rythmn and blues, funk ect.

Black people(and other people of other races) like thumping rythmn, bass and they love to dance to syncopated rythmns.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:11 AM

1,555 posts, read 4,149,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack22 View Post
Black people(and other people of other races) like thumping rythmn, bass and they love to dance to syncopated rythmns.
Let's get some more syncopated rhythms then. And in traditional African music, folks had no problem dancing to odd time signatures or even complex hemiola-like, layered time signatures, like 13/16 on top of 5/8 on top of 7/4. Let's create some hip-hop that's more musically complex in ways like that.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Let's get some more syncopated rhythms then. And in traditional African music, folks had no problem dancing to odd time signatures or even complex hemiola-like, layered time signatures, like 13/16 on top of 5/8 on top of 7/4. Let's create some hip-hop that's more musically complex in ways like that.
No, the complex rythmns in hip hop are created through the poetry itself. The poetry itself is rythmically mind boggling. You need the 4/4-2/4 rhthmns in hip hop to give you a basic rythmnic template and then your poetry goes from there in the very complex rythmns.

Similiar to jazz improvisation in which the improviser will instinctly create mind boggling rythmns.

If you could assign note values for every word in hip hop poetry, you would get some incredibly complex rythmns. Not from the constant beat accompanying the poetry but from the poetry itself.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:40 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Here's what I don't get. Why title a thread, "Why do people hate rap?" and then argue with the people who tell you why they don't like rap?

I mean how stupid is that? You might as well berate people because they don't like Brussells Sprouts or cold weather. It's just a matter of taste.

What I'm gathering from all this is that the more ardent defenders of rap on this thread are very insecure people, and probably have peepees the size of Vienna sausage and cajones the size of English peas, no matter how much posturing they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music