Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2008, 03:37 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,384,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
You guys might as well be talking to dogs or a wall. Too many closed-minded and ignorant people doing nothing but using stereotypes to try to prove their point.
My dogs have come around to liking rap - but they are pretty open-minded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 03:43 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,375,135 times
http://www.kissonline.com/news/images/postalive35.jpg (broken link)

Now here's another image that makes me think of very powerful, intelligent, wealthy men. Now since I happen to like a few Kiss songs, I will take the oppurtunity to say appearance shouldn't matter in music. So lets lose the "I don't like rap music because of how they dress" argument.

That's why we have so much crap now like Jessica Simpson, Dannity Kane, Brittany Spears, Lil Mama because they look good. So we traded looks for talent.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:46 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,778,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
http://www.kissonline.com/news/images/postalive35.jpg (broken link)

Now here's another image that makes me think of very powerful, intelligent, wealthy men. Now since I happen to like a few Kiss songs, I will take the oppurtunity to say appearance shouldn't matter in music. So lets lose the "I don't like rap music because of how they dress" argument.
Ohh honey...those platforms look dangerous! I mean , I know what it's like to break a leg--not fun....wow!

Old 06-02-2008, 04:02 PM

18,015 posts, read 27,460,166 times
I like how some Rap sounds on my killer stereo; Eclipse deck, two Soundstream amps (older ones, the ones that were manufactured in Semi Valley, not Taiwan), 10" Diamond base, Polk MoMos...

I also like the way some older Green Day and Eric Clapton music sounds. But a lot of music doesn't take advantage of all that Base! Got's to have my Base!

But I don't have so much base that you can feel me driving by... I'm getting to old for that. I want to still be able to hear SOME things.

Last edited by McGowdog; 06-02-2008 at 04:08 PM.. Reason: add

Old 06-02-2008, 04:16 PM

389 posts, read 1,986,574 times
MissShona: are you like.. for real? u did dress up like those 2 women who just makes me shake my head and laugh hysterically. my gosh... i can never EVER understand why 40 yr old grandma will dress up like that. i can never EVER understand how they can respect themselves after walking in the streets looking like THAT. i have a question: what the F.. were those 2 women thinking?

Old 06-02-2008, 04:37 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Best gangsta-rap song ever:
Galactic Gangsta (warning: strong language!)

Old 06-02-2008, 04:43 PM

681 posts, read 2,878,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWJERSEY1 View Post
Not everyone does, however. You ask someone why they hate rap, and they are all like, "oh because they talk about guns and killing people, they say slurs, and they degrade women" They cannot seem to come up with a reason that hasn't already been said. What they don't realize is that not ALL rap and hip hop talk about those things: love, struggling to make it and be somebody, earning respect, mouring someone (i.e. diddy's tribute to notorious B.I.G. & big pun's tribute) anyone's opinion is greatly appreciated, including people that dislike rap. HOWEVER, please give me a reason that hasn't already been said .... Also, rapping requires much talent. To those who think rapping requires no talent at all, let's see you try! It requires much thought, writing structure, flow, and excellent lyricism. See don't let guys like Soulja Boy fool you into thinking rap requires no such talent at all. Those guys are NOT rappers. They are entertainers. There's a difference between a true rapper and a entertainer.
Ultimately it's because of the style of music. Atrocious music with amoral messages can be found in any style these days. I personally don't like listening to these modern rappers (or "rappaz") babbling incomprehensibly about topics that don't interest me. There isn't much music behind modern rap... just an occasional drum hit and an occasional discernible musical note.

Rap wasn't always bad... back in the day (80s through early 90s), rap was mostly danceable... they'd take a disco track or something and put a rap over it. I mean, doesn't everyone like "Rapper's Delight" and "Ice Ice Baby"? I agree that rapping takes talent... I'm a singer and I have trouble busting a rhyme... but like any talent, there are good uses and bad uses. I'd like to see rap go back to what it used to be... then I'll listen to more of it.

Old 06-02-2008, 04:49 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
Rap is base.

Old 06-02-2008, 04:56 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,778,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBSer View Post
MissShona: are you like.. for real? u did dress up like those 2 women who just makes me shake my head and laugh hysterically. my gosh... i can never EVER understand why 40 yr old grandma will dress up like that. i can never EVER understand how they can respect themselves after walking in the streets looking like THAT. i have a question: what the F.. were those 2 women thinking?
Pretty much. I was not a skinhead...but a rudegirl. Similar, but tamer look. Sort a la Rhoda Dakar (from the Bodysnatchers):

http://www.comnet.ca/%7Erina/images/bodysnatchers.gif (broken link)

Basically mini-skirt, tights (preferably fishnets), Doc Marten loafers or Penny loafers, a cardigan, and a Lonsdale jacket. That was basically my look in college

Oh and those women are happy and secure in themselves; as we all should be. But then again I grew up with a Dad that had dreadlocks back in the 80s...I am surely not afraid to not look like everyone else!

Old 06-02-2008, 05:03 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,655,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Best gangsta-rap song ever:
Galactic Gangsta (warning: strong language!)
I rest my case. Thanks for clearing up the fact that they need cursing to make a song.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music