Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 02:18 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,209,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iheartrockstars View Post
I don't like too much of today's rap. Old school is the way to go.... I love how it used to have positive messages. Today, not so much.
Like any other genre, it exists, you just need to look for it outside of the radio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 10:20 PM

2,817 posts, read 1,885,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWJERSEY1 View Post
Not everyone does, however. You ask someone why they hate rap, and they are all like, "oh because they talk about guns and killing people, they say slurs, and they degrade women" They cannot seem to come up with a reason that hasn't already been said. What they don't realize is that not ALL rap and hip hop talk about those things: love, struggling to make it and be somebody, earning respect, mouring someone (i.e. diddy's tribute to notorious B.I.G. & big pun's tribute) anyone's opinion is greatly appreciated, including people that dislike rap. HOWEVER, please give me a reason that hasn't already been said .... Also, rapping requires much talent. To those who think rapping requires no talent at all, let's see you try! It requires much thought, writing structure, flow, and excellent lyricism. See don't let guys like Soulja Boy fool you into thinking rap requires no such talent at all. Those guys are NOT rappers. They are entertainers. There's a difference between a true rapper and a entertainer.
I don't like Rap. Watching stuff like this puts the squash on it in no time flat. Makes the Rap seem boring, doesn't it? LOL

Walter Trout - Dust my broom - YouTube

Old 09-16-2011, 10:23 PM

I wonder if Lil' Wayne can play like that yet? I hear he "thinks" he's a G-Man now! LMAO

Old 09-16-2011, 10:27 PM

Reason #2. Jeff was BLIND!

Jeff Healey Band When the Night Comes falling - YouTube

Old 09-16-2011, 10:33 PM

Stay out of the kitchen unless you want to get BURNED?

Stevie Ray Vaughn Voodoo Chile - YouTube

Old 09-17-2011, 06:40 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,182,182 times

Sam Kinison - Rappers Suck - YouTube

Old 09-17-2011, 12:53 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,740,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
Like any other genre, it exists, you just need to look for it outside of the radio.
Problem is it doesn't exist in the volume it used to, which was their point.

That said, I hate today's rap just as much as I hate rock. It's not just how loudly you can bag a drum, play a guitar or scream into a microphone, it's whether or not you can successfully add good rhythm and harmony to your drum banging, guitar playing or song singing.

Give me orchestrated music anyday, and/or someone with a voice from the heavens.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,073 times
First of all when they say degrading women they call them sluts the definition of scout is a immoral women or one who engages in slot sex 2 drugs well it's not like rock doesn't do it Jimi Hendrix has a whole song dedicated to marijuana called "Purple Haze" Rick James as an avid cocaine user 3 it is all your taste u can't go bashing rappers because they rap abou what you don't like it is there lifestyle 4 I bet most of yall have not taking the time to read mainstream hiphop lyrics you just hear them butonly catch a few words lastly I am a rapper and a avid rap fan of mainstream and old school fan if you don't like it you don't have to bash

Old 01-18-2012, 09:58 PM

254 posts, read 211,385 times
Like Jeff Beck once said "it doesn't have any soul".

Old 01-19-2012, 07:11 AM

2,532 posts, read 3,451,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter c4 View Post
First of all when they say degrading women they call them sluts the definition of scout is a immoral women or one who engages in slot sex 2 drugs well it's not like rock doesn't do it Jimi Hendrix has a whole song dedicated to marijuana called "Purple Haze" Rick James as an avid cocaine user 3 it is all your taste u can't go bashing rappers because they rap abou what you don't like it is there lifestyle 4 I bet most of yall have not taking the time to read mainstream hiphop lyrics you just hear them butonly catch a few words lastly I am a rapper and a avid rap fan of mainstream and old school fan if you don't like it you don't have to bash
If anyone hates rap because of the two things you listed, obviously they don't realize it exists in other genres of music.

In example, Steel Panther (Rock)

Steel Panther - Asian Hooker - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music