U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 07:06 PM

240 posts, read 773,196 times

Advertisements

Not everyone does, however. You ask someone why they hate rap, and they are all like, "oh because they talk about guns and killing people, they say slurs, and they degrade women" They cannot seem to come up with a reason that hasn't already been said. What they don't realize is that not ALL rap and hip hop talk about those things: love, struggling to make it and be somebody, earning respect, mouring someone (i.e. diddy's tribute to notorious B.I.G. & big pun's tribute) anyone's opinion is greatly appreciated, including people that dislike rap. HOWEVER, please give me a reason that hasn't already been said .... Also, rapping requires much talent. To those who think rapping requires no talent at all, let's see you try! It requires much thought, writing structure, flow, and excellent lyricism. See don't let guys like Soulja Boy fool you into thinking rap requires no such talent at all. Those guys are NOT rappers. They are entertainers. There's a difference between a true rapper and a entertainer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 07:56 PM

4,679 posts, read 7,793,576 times
How about don't care for the rhythm, the beat, the style.

It's that there are those peoples that like such... at times it is entertaining to watch the ladies dance to it ; but just cruising or chilling, it ain't my cup of tea.

Old 06-02-2008, 01:59 AM

3,043 posts, read 7,479,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
How about don't care for the rhythm, the beat, the style.

It's that there are those peoples that like such... at times it is entertaining to watch the ladies dance to it ; but just cruising or chilling, it ain't my cup of tea.
I pretty much agree with this. There is nothing melodic about "rap," which is probably the biggest reason I don't like it. That is also why I don't think it should ever be used simultaneously with the word "music."

FWIW, I also don't care for the "Gangsta" style of (c)rap, or the attitudes of the punks that enjoy listening to it. From my experiences (fortunately not frequent), most of these kids want to think they're tough, so they act like little hoodlums.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:17 AM

36,348 posts, read 57,054,102 times
I don't have to give you a reason that hasn't already been said. The reasons typically given are already sufficient. While "not all rap" is about drugs/guns/thuggery/pimpin'/ho-slappin'/po-po-hatin'/general debauchery, enough of it is that it's not worth the effort to try to pick out the stuff that isn't. And even if one does take the time to sort it out, half of the result still sounds like noise to my ears. If I stumble upon a rap song that I happen to like, fine, I'll listen to it. But I won't go out of my way to find it.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:33 AM

5,679 posts, read 10,371,968 times
One thing for sure, don't ask any of us who are in the 50 plus age range about Rap......most of us (perhaps all of us) don't listen to it period. Just not our kind of music and (personally) I have to agree with the other posts about the guns, killings, degrading, whatever Rap talks about is not necessarily good.
But, one thing to remember, in my generation, not everyone liked Steppenwolf, AC/DC, Iron Butterfly or even Kiss. I like them, but for different reasons, not everyone does.
Another thing, a number of Rap singers have been described in the news as "gangsters" who carry guns all the time for protection. Not exactly what parents want to hear about!!

Old 06-02-2008, 05:10 AM

13,328 posts, read 30,013,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
One thing for sure, don't ask any of us who are in the 50 plus age range about Rap......most of us (perhaps all of us) don't listen to it period....
Well, I am well over 50 and certainly have listened to rap and hip hop, but it's true that I do not seek it out.
Quote:
Another thing, a number of Rap singers have been described in the news as "gangsters" who carry guns all the time for protection. Not exactly what parents want to hear about!!
Some who live the hip-hop lifestyle get a lot of publicity about their handguns, and some have died violently.
However, there are many*other* types of people packing heat in our gun-loving nation. (And no, do not count me as one of those who wants to take away all the firearms.) Also, thugs with suits do plenty of damage to the USA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I don't have to give you a reason that hasn't already been said. The reasons typically given are already sufficient. While "not all rap" is about drugs/guns/thuggery/pimpin'/ho-slappin'/po-po-hatin'/general debauchery, enough of it is that it's not worth the effort to try to pick out the stuff that isn't. And even if one does take the time to sort it out, half of the result still sounds like noise to my ears. If I stumble upon a rap song that I happen to like, fine, I'll listen to it. But I won't go out of my way to find it.
Yeah, I don't go out of my way to find it, either.
Nor do I watch American Idol or listen to AM radio.
The origins of rap were sincere, well-meant, and true, like the Last Poets back in the 70's. I like some of the rap with instrumentation, like the Roots or Outkast.
Usually what I turns me off is the lack of a melody.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:56 AM

16,249 posts, read 11,599,199 times
I despise rap. There is nothing about it I like. I have a few "exceptional" rap songs but for the most part, hell no!

Old 06-02-2008, 06:42 AM

5,162 posts, read 5,745,400 times
Forming an opinion about rap by listening to the radio or watching BET is like me forming an opinion about rock by listening to MTV. Over the years, both genres have become commercialized, so it's more about the image you present and what you talk about than it is about the quality of the lyrics. No rock band (with the exception of a small few) can compare to the rock bands of the past decades. It's like that with hip-hop/rap as well. The only difference is, there are still good artists coming out, but they don't get the attention while the garbage people who aren't saying anything good get radio play and their videos on BET.

And no, the beats you hear on songs on BET are not going to be melodic. Just like none of the rock musicians these days could play a guitar like Jimi Hendrix. Commercialization ruins everything. It really does.

And yes, real rapping does require talent. Listen to people like Rakim, Common, Lupe Fiasco, Canibus, Sage Francis, Aesop Rock, MF Doom, etc, and see if you can do what they do.

Old 06-02-2008, 08:42 AM

14,852 posts, read 40,004,300 times
It used to be good before gangster rap ruined it.

Old 06-02-2008, 08:45 AM

9,925 posts, read 8,823,086 times
Well these guys are probably more hip hop than rap but I initially fell in love with them because they sampled Melanie Safka in their debut single, WHICH might appeal to the folk in the 40 to 50 age group that wouldn't normally be interested. Figured any band that could put Melanie back on mainstream radio was pretty cool in my book.

Oh and of course they're Aussie, so it's pretty rare for an Aussie band not to get support from me.

YouTube - Hilltop Hoods - The Nosebleed Section

YouTube - Hilltop Hoods -- The Hard Road

Anyway, I find them very musical and lyrical and the Aussie accents don't hurt either.

Another Aussie hip hop band I love is The Herd with their cover of Redgum's Only 19, which was a huge hit here about the Vietnam war. I think they did a great job of it.

Only 19 ~ The Herd

YouTube - The Herd - I Was Only 19

Only 19 ~ Redgum (the original)

YouTube - Redgum - I Was Only 19 (1983)

Anyway, nothing about gangsta or hoodlums in these. The Only 19 cover brought back into the public eye the trials of Vietnam vets and opened up the story to a whole new generation in a style they could identify with, and I know it was adopted as an unofficial theme song for those pushing for recognition of those veterans.

Sorry if you don't think they qualify NewJersey1 or they're not what you mean, but yeah, I don't dislike rap there are quite a few rap artists that I enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music