Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 04:42 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
If you have not yet seen 24 Hour Party People put it in your Netflix queue right now.
I've owned it for a long time ... just finished the Joy Division documentary and am getting ready to watch Control. I went ahead and just ordered both ... knew I'd buy them anyway.

Love the Manchester music era. It's hard to believe that Tony Wilson passed away. Martin Hannert & Rob Gretton have been gone for quite awhile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 06:02 PM

187 posts, read 674,883 times
Quote:
If you have not yet seen 24 Hour Party People put it in your Netflix queue right now.
A friend of mine demanded I watch this after raving about it over and over again every time I saw him ("What do you MEAN you haven't seen this movie yet?!?"). It is a good movie, even if the accents were a little incomprehensible to me at times. And, the part with the pigeons cracked me up.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:04 PM

Manchester accents are hard! I actually think Liverpool accents are easier to comprehend. Scottish accents though ... yikes! I always have to tell them to slow down.

Man, I need to watch 24 Hour Party People again. I so love that film. I'l always see Steve Coogan as Tony (Efing) Wilson. Even when he played Octavius in Night at the Museum ... it was Tony (Efing) Wilson.

Old 06-26-2008, 01:27 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Yeah, the Mancunian accent is a tough one for Americans. I once had the opportunity to hang out with The Charlatans after a show. Nice lads, the lot of 'em... but I felt embarrassed that I had to ask them to repeat themselves twice every time they said something. While they aren't technically from Manchester, I don't know that a Northwich accent is much different from a Manchester one.

I think the Liverpool accent is easier because, for one, they seem to speak a bit slowly, and for another, the Beatles have familiarized the entire English-speaking world with it. I like the classic Liverpool accent with the sort of Belfast lilt to it, the way the pitch moves down in the middle of a sentence or phrase then moves back up by the end of same sentence/phrase. It's rather melodic.

Old 06-26-2008, 01:36 AM

3,531 posts, read 2,595,328 times
Quote:
I like the classic Liverpool accent with the sort of Belfast lilt to it, the way the pitch moves down in the middle of a sentence or phrase then moves back up by the end of same sentence/phrase. It's rather melodic.
In some parts here they`re known as "Sing-Song Scousers"..

Old 06-26-2008, 02:42 AM

Are you sure that's not "Sing-Song Pikeys"? I hear Liverpool is not the most favorably regarded city in England these days...

It could be worse... at least they're not from Bristol.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Are you sure that's not "Sing-Song Pikeys"? I hear Liverpool is not the most favorably regarded city in England these days...

It could be worse... at least they're not from Bristol.
You hung out with the Charlatans?? Oh man, you're so cool I saw them at the Vic Theatre in Chicago back in the day when they were still called Charlatans UK.

Did you all know that Natalie Curtis has a website???

16apr79.com : natalie curtis

Old 06-26-2008, 01:04 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,845,698 times
Interpol - Turn on the Bright Lights. Terrific album, super depressing.

Old 06-26-2008, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
You hung out with the Charlatans?? Oh man, you're so cool I saw them at the Vic Theatre in Chicago back in the day when they were still called Charlatans UK.
They're still "officially" known as The Charlatans UK here in the states for copyright reasons.

Old 06-26-2008, 03:32 PM

114 posts, read 340,162 times
Cooling, Playboy Mommy | Tori Amos
Goodbye Baby, Silver Springs, Dreams, Sara, Gypsy | Fleetwood Mac (Stevie Nicks)
Good Boy | Barenaked Ladies
Too Much of A Good Thing | Dumb and Dumber Soundtrack
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music