U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 08:34 PM

23,440 posts, read 30,718,590 times

Advertisements

Ok, so what do y'all think? Is Arnel worthy to walk in Steve Perry's shoes, or what?
I have my own opinion, but want to hear what everyone else has to say.
Please, if you dont like Journey, dont pee in my Wheaties!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 09:45 PM

15,088 posts, read 16,993,176 times
I watched him sing two songs on YouTube (Ellen). He's really good!! He deserves any and all success that comes to him. And the band deserves success, too. The guy has talent and his singing respects the originals. I'd guess that if you sat far enough back from the stage during a concert you'd be hard pressed to know that it wasn't Steve singing (guessing as 2 songs don't really give enough of an impression). I have not heard any of the new Journey's original music.

The only thing that bums me out is Steve Perry is no longer with the band. He is still a viable singer who could have kept going with Journey. It seems as if a series of unfortunate circumstances left him out. I watched their story on VH1's Behind the Music and it is kind of depressing that such awesome songs can come from a band that seemed to have so much internal issues. And the live footage is incredible. How many people can sing like he can live? And the musicianship is great, too.

I liken the situation to Van Halen. Who would have thought of VH without David Lee Roth? Sammy Hagar does a good job. But they have very different voices so the similarities are not quite...

Anyway, Journey's songs take me back to my late 70's, early 80's school days. The first time I heard of them was when I saw this kid wearing a Journey long-sleeved shirt with this cool album cover art on the front (or maybe the back). I thought that was so cool.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:33 AM

6,211 posts, read 15,057,782 times
I listened to a bunch of songs (went to the Wal-Mart site), and although the singer is good, I think he's trying too hard. Granted, Steve Perry's shoes are hard to fill, but Arnel needs to relax a little.

If he doesn't work out, they can always turn to this band for a lead singer:

MySpace.com - Journey A Tribute By LIGHTS - Los Angeles, California - Classic Rock / Rock / Blues - www.myspace.com/lightstribute

I saw them perform a couple of weeks ago for the first time, and the singer, Juan del Castillo, sounded so much like Steve Perry that goosebumps broke out on my arms!

Old 07-10-2008, 12:45 AM

10,425 posts, read 43,631,510 times
I have said this before in the music forum. I saved every single concert ticket stub of every concert I ever been to for the past 34 years. I refuse to count them but a guess is 600-700.

After reading this thread it reminded me of some good ol times so I opened my ticket stub book and did a quick count of Journey concerts. I have 24 of them. Maybe a small number compared to 80 or so Genesis concerts. Most from the old days when bands would sell out a date in an hour and keep adding more days. Most of the time any band coming to Madison Square Garden would do 3-5 shows in a row. We used to go to every show which was obviously the same exact show. Who cares? When its great its great !!

For those Journey fans from NJ NY area, I am looking at a ticket right now from The Capital Theater (remember that place) and the seat is front row center. We could see each muscle in Steve Perrys neck as he belted out the high notes.

Sandyco thanks for posting that link. I think I will listen to it for a while.

It's so sad those days are gone. Long gone.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:57 AM

23,440 posts, read 30,718,590 times
I saw Journey quite a few times myself between '77 and '80, Steve is unbelievable! Here are a couple of links on stuff that he has recently done....the depth and texture of his voice and phrasing are something Arnel just doesnt seem to have, IMHO.
Even if he cant hit the stratospheric notes he used to, its still good!

YouTube - Steve Perry (Journey) and David Pack A Brand New Start

YouTube - Steve Perry (Journey) Love's Like a River

Old 07-10-2008, 02:34 PM

4,679 posts, read 10,658,279 times
Might check out this thread too: The new Journey CD is fantastic

Old 07-12-2008, 11:19 PM

1,356 posts, read 5,337,441 times
Pineda's voice placement is not as high as Perry's. If you listen to Steve Perry sing live his throat is open and his voice is relaxed. Pineda is tight and sometimes a little flat. Don't get me wrong, he is still very impressive. But definitely not Perry.

Compare the two:

YouTube - Arnel Pineda w/ Journey - Faithfully on Ellen Degeneres Show

YouTube - Journey - Faithfully 1983

I think the comparison above to Van Halen is a good one. Pineda has a very good voice. Whether or not Journey is successful with him is going to depend on whether their songs from this point on are good and not whether he can simply sing the old songs.

Old 07-12-2008, 11:45 PM

10,425 posts, read 43,631,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niners fan View Post
Pineda's voice placement is not as high as Perry's. If you listen to Steve Perry sing live his throat is open and his voice is relaxed. Pineda is tight and sometimes a little flat. Don't get me wrong, he is still very impressive. But definitely not Perry.

Compare the two:

YouTube - Arnel Pineda w/ Journey - Faithfully on Ellen Degeneres Show

YouTube - Journey - Faithfully 1983

I think the comparison above to Van Halen is a good one. Pineda has a very good voice. Whether or not Journey is successful with him is going to depend on whether their songs from this point on are good and not whether he can simply sing the old songs.
Thanks for posting that Niners. I was not up to date with current Journey. That new guy can sing !!! Like you said, he might be about one octave below Steve but he sure can sing.

Old 07-15-2008, 05:23 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,338,951 times
Oh wow! I didn't even realize there was a new singer. What happened to the other one they had? (Not Steve P). I think it was another Steve?
I am playing Faithfully while it's behind here. Sounds okay, but wow.. this guy is pretty young huh? Steve Perry will always be #1.
YouTube - Journey-Faithfully

I do wish him and the band good luck. They were one of my favorite groups. I still like them, but haven't seen then since a few years back.

Okay, watching some more vid's, he seems pretty good. I bet in concert it would take you back.
I think I was just getting use to the other guy...lol

Old 02-18-2009, 10:10 AM

10 posts, read 25,252 times
Default **Journey** Official JOURNEY Thread

Whats everyone's top 5 favorite Journey songs???

Mine would be:

1. Only the Young
2. Girl Cant Help It
3. Ask the Lonely
4. Separate Ways
5. Ill be alright without you

Runner ups: Be Good to yourself, Whos crying now, and Wheel in the sky
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or