Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 02:57 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,308,300 times

Advertisements

Why is it black acts have a hard time breaking into this particular genre? I see Darius Rucker (Hootie & the Blowfish) is currently working on a solo album and have heard his single....not bad.

What say you?

Old 07-16-2008, 03:25 AM

950 posts, read 3,190,849 times
I don't know what to answer your question. But what did you really expect for a city that is very Conservative and is home to many fundamental/conservative religious groups?

Old 07-16-2008, 03:29 AM

3,531 posts, read 2,594,351 times
Good point, but I never thought of it as racist. I don`t think too many black musicians choose to go the C/W route, prefering blues and in later years rap and hip-hop. Look at it from the other angle. How many white musicians apart from the obvious, Eminem and a few others, have made an impression on rap?? It wasn`t always the case though. On reading this it seems it was simply a natural progression for black music. Taking it in a different direction, away from C/W..

Black Country Music: Crossing Country

This worth a look too,,,
http://www.thestar.com/comment/colum...article/270536

Old 07-16-2008, 06:48 AM

3,758 posts, read 8,439,432 times
Anyone ever hear of Charlie Pride?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charley_Pride

Old 07-16-2008, 07:30 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,305,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
Why is it black acts have a hard time breaking into this particular genre? I see Darius Rucker (Hootie & the Blowfish) is currently working on a solo album and have heard his single....not bad.

What say you?
As mentioned, Charley Pride has been on the C/W scene for decades and has the undying respect of C/W fans worldwide and fellow musicians alike. If you think it's hard for someone today to break in, I can only imagine what it was like for Mr. Pride to gain recogniton back in the 50s and 60s in a genre that was and is still predominately white. I also remember Stoney Edwards, but he did not rise to the superstrdom that Pride did. There are quite a few black C/W singers today who are gaining recognition.

When you think about it, Country, R&B and the blues have somewhat of a shared releationship. We used to joke that country was white soul music, lol, and to some degree that is true.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
Anyone ever hear of Charlie Pride?

Charley Pride - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yes I know who Charlie Pride is and have
Listened
to him for decads, but other than him there has been nobody else. Others come and go and don't make a mark.

There's a new crop of young country singers and right now I have to take off so don't have time to post their links, but Rissi Palmer is one and I have her as a friend on myspace, yet even her music doesn't do much for me, it's the same old stuff other's are doing. I think if we were exposed to a much wider variety of Black country singers, people would have an influence. I'm black and love country music and I know there are others who feel the same way as I do.

Listen to songs like "I Believe" by Brooks and Dunn and tell me there isn't a strong gospel/R&B influence.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINCOLNSHIRE View Post
Good point, but I never thought of it as racist. I don`t think too many black musicians choose to go the C/W route, prefering blues and in later years rap and hip-hop. Look at it from the other angle. How many white musicians apart from the obvious, Eminem and a few others, have made an impression on rap?? It wasn`t always the case though. On reading this it seems it was simply a natural progression for black music. Taking it in a different direction, away from C/W..

Black Country Music: Crossing Country

This worth a look too,,,
TheStar.com | entertainment | She's a black country singer, so what?
Yup, I read the star article some months back have to dash and don't have time to comment until tonight. Cross over for white musicians to Black "territory isn't limited to just rap. Think Aguilera, Think Justin Timberlake, Jessica Simpson even what's her face ..... Britney. All R&B

Old 07-16-2008, 08:13 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,470,886 times
I dunno,how many country singers desire to go hip hop?

We should stop trying to 'blend' music,if we did that then there would end being only one type of music

Old 07-16-2008, 08:21 AM

3,531 posts, read 2,594,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
Yup, I read the star article some months back have to dash and don't have time to comment until tonight. Cross over for white musicians to Black "territory isn't limited to just rap. Think Aguilera, Think Justin Timberlake, Jessica Simpson even what's her face ..... Britney. All R&B

As I`ve said on here once before, months ago. Whatever anyone wants to call that crap, PLEASE do not drag REAL R/B into disrepute by aligning the sort of tripe artists [very loose use of the word] like that are churning out today. Even much of the stuff today`s black artists are doing isn`t worthy of the description...THIS is R n` B...I don`t think the difference is too difficult to spot myself..

YouTube - BO DIDDLEY- BO DIDDLEY IN HIS PRIME! BEST VIDEO! AMAZING!

Old 07-16-2008, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
I dunno,how many country singers desire to go hip hop?

We should stop trying to 'blend' music,if we did that then there would end being only one type of music

Never said anything about blending music but mentioned other races than lilly white being favoured. On the subject of hip hop, keep in mind Big n Rich haven't done too bad on the back of rap, their first hit was "ride a horse and save a cowboy". Toby Keith's "Lets Talk About Me" is another that comes to mid. Oh and before I forget check out Snoop Dogs lame attempt at country with Willie Nelson on Youtube.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music