Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 10:19 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,930,887 times

Advertisements

From Calamity Jane

YouTube - The Windy City from Calamity Jane (1953)

YouTube - Secret Love - Calamity Jane
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 11:16 PM

1,385 posts, read 3,005,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
"Old Man River, that Old Man River,
He must know somethin', but he don't say nothin'
That Old Man River, he just keeps rollin' along.....'"

Ahhh and I just purchased The Ink Spots "If I Didn't Care" album which has that song.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:19 PM

1,385 posts, read 3,005,618 times
Older people are surprised that I know the words to "Summertime"

Oh your daddy's rich and your ma is good lookin

Old 07-29-2008, 09:33 AM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
There is a station in my area that basically calls itself "community radio." One of my favorite programs is a guy who does a lot of soundtrack cuts, big band songs, 40's and 50's vocalists, etc. Just the other day he was playing some cuts off West Side Story and Paint Your Wagon. And mixed it up with some Les Brown, Duke Ellington, Paul Whitman, Count Basie. He closed out the hour with Johnny Western's "Paladin" and Frankie Laine's "Theme From O.K.Corral". Great stuff!

Old 07-29-2008, 03:23 PM

3,722 posts, read 4,307,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Love show tunes.

Just going to go watch Showboat! mmmmmm Howard Keel.
Haa haa I read that and went straight to your profile wanting to see how old you were...then I realised you were watching the movie when he was younger

Old 07-29-2008, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
My current favorite is Dean Martin's rendition of Cole Porter's Song "True Love" (http://ezinearticles.com/?Cole-Porters-Song-True-Love&id=159268 - broken link)
Oh yes.

Old 07-29-2008, 04:43 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,897,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
...I LOVED that movie where Doris Day played Calamity Jane to Howard Keel's character...I can't remember the name of it. That song... "I just got back from the Windy City, the Windy City is mighty pretty, but it ain't got what we got". And of course, "Secret Love".

20yrsinBranson
Don't forget the Black Hills of Dakota.

Calamity Jane is probably my favorite musical. It's got everything really. Great songs, fantastic cast, the magnificent Doris Day and the very lovely Howard Keel and some of the best lines! We quote from that movie alot around here!

Old 07-29-2008, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arod0331 View Post
Older people are surprised that I know the words to "Summertime"

Oh your daddy's rich and your ma is good lookin
I love that song!

Old 07-29-2008, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
Haa haa I read that and went straight to your profile wanting to see how old you were...then I realised you were watching the movie when he was younger
Yeah, but he was still dishy as an older guy too!

When he went on to do westerns after the musical died I still loved watching him and don't forget he was in Dallas.

We also watched Doris Day and Gordon McRae in By The Light of The Silvery Moon this week.

Old 07-29-2008, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
I remember Linda Ronstadt's comment in an interview about singing standards. She said it was such a pleasure because those songs were, in her words, "so well-crafted." It was an era in American music that, sadly, was all too brief.

Well, it's hard to go wrong with Johnny Mercer. "Laura" is a particular favorite of mine.

And, then there's Rodgers and Hart. One of my favorites is "Spring is Here"--done here by Frank Sinatra.
YouTube - Frank Sinatra - Spring Is Here (1958)

And, then, there was Duke Ellington and Billy Strayhorn. Strayhorn's "Lush Life" is a classic. Here, by Johnny Hartman and John Coltrane
YouTube - Lush Life - Hartman & Coltrane .

There are so many greats--I'd better go out and dig up some CD's.
Rondstadt was so right, what those guys did with words. I'm listening to Sophisticated Lady right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music