U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 08:56 PM

2,765 posts, read 6,509,295 times

Advertisements

I thought I'd start a thread for the true Jimi Hendrix fans. Jimi offered the music world a lot more than just "Purple Haze", whether it was with The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Gypsy Sun & Rainbows, or Band of Gypsy's, he put together some outstanding music, and often times very beautiful music. Critics say it's easy to sound that good with a guitar when you use the amount of distortion Jimi did, but I disagree. Jimi could flat out play and it was evident that what he had was God given talent. It's unfortunate that he was only around for such a short time and ultimately died way to young, but for the time he was around he put out some great music and to this day is still underrated and not given enough credit for the influence he had on music.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 10:12 PM

96 posts, read 226,466 times
Hendrix was fantastic, one of the best guitarists. My favorite songs by him are Stonefree, Crosstown Traffic, and All Along the Watchtower.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:18 PM

25,165 posts, read 48,411,385 times
he was just ok

Old 08-20-2008, 12:28 AM

158 posts, read 370,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j760 View Post
I thought I'd start a thread for the true Jimi Hendrix fans. Jimi offered the music world a lot more than just "Purple Haze", whether it was with The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Gypsy Sun & Rainbows, or Band of Gypsy's, he put together some outstanding music, and often times very beautiful music. Critics say it's easy to sound that good with a guitar when you use the amount of distortion Jimi did, but I disagree. Jimi could flat out play and it was evident that what he had was God given talent. It's unfortunate that he was only around for such a short time and ultimately died way to young, but for the time he was around he put out some great music and to this day is still underrated and not given enough credit for the influence he had on music.
I think he was one of the most unique musicians ever. I was/am a big fan. Self taught, left handed and very original, especially for the time. There were few to follow, unlike today. He was a true pioneer.
A few of my favorites are Angel, Little Wing, All along the Watchtower, Dolly Dagger. But fav band Band of Gypsies. Simply outstanding. thanks for the post.

Old 08-20-2008, 12:33 AM

158 posts, read 370,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
he was just ok
You never have anything good or positive to say. Are you truely as unhappy as you sound? The name artsyguy would indicate the you are either artistic or love art, and in either case love includes respect for and appreciation of art... Try to contribute something positive/nice/good Artsyguy, really.

Old 08-20-2008, 01:50 AM

14,547 posts, read 22,409,464 times

Bold as Love - Jimi Hendrix

Hey Joe

Red House

Little Wing

Gypsy Eyes

Drifting

Voodoo Child

and then that Star Spangle Banner song.

Old 08-20-2008, 01:57 AM

2,765 posts, read 6,509,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlintheglass View Post
I think he was one of the most unique musicians ever. I was/am a big fan. Self taught, left handed and very original, especially for the time. There were few to follow, unlike today. He was a true pioneer.
I agree with you on all points. He's sort of a mystery because he was not around long, but put out more music than people realize. I thought it would be nice to share some of my favorite songs of Jimi's. I think you'll enjoy these especially girlintheglass. Sit back, relax, and enjoy the music.

And The Gods Made Love (outstanding intro to Electric Ladyland)

YouTube - Jimi Hendrix ...And the Gods Made Love

Electric Ladyland

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t832ITJuAQg

Burning Of The Midnight Lamp

YouTube - Jimi Hendrix - Burning Of The Midnight Lamp

Castles Made Of Sand

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULsiXVkKINA

Voodoo Child (Slight Return)

YouTube - Jimi Hendrix - Voodoo Child (Slight Return)

Little Wing

YouTube - Jimi Hendrix - Little Wing

Little Miss Lover

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kej-2gn54RE

House Burning Down

YouTube - Jimi Hendrix - House Burning Down

Gypsy Boy

YouTube - Jimi Hendrix - Gypsy Boy (New Rising Sun)

And last but not least here's Villanova Junction live at Woodstock

YouTube - Jimi Hendrix - Villanova Junction (Woodstock 69)

Now I'd say these are just some examples of how Jimi is more than just OK.

Old 08-20-2008, 04:56 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,911,924 times
Hendrix was far more than just okay.
He was influenced by the blues, yet so innovative--visionary.
I don't have too many regrets from my youth, but one of the big ones was not seeing him perform when I had the chance.
(I was only 14, but still.)

Old 08-20-2008, 05:42 AM

5,165 posts, read 8,262,024 times
Best guitarist of all time hands down.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:05 AM

13,140 posts, read 36,724,460 times
Jimi is the master !!! as he and Prince are my 2 alltime favorite black guitarists.

Love ''Machine Gun'' by him. Great 10 minute clip of him jammin out on this song.

YouTube - Jimi Hendrix: Machine Gun
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or