Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 11:18 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,787,825 times

Advertisements

This has fallen under the radar screen, and I am about the biggest Dylan fan there is, but I didn't know until yesterday he is releasing an entirely new studio album of self-written songs, due out in a month:

Spex.de >>> - First Words - … on Bob Dylan’s new album ›Together Through Life‹ (http://www.spex.de/t2/579/artikel.html - broken link)

"Together Through Life" due out on April 28th. Will make for a fine birthday present for myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 11:21 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,787,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJickler View Post
I go back and forth on this, but I agree with you about Highway 61 being his best. There's not a bad song on there. I have a really soft spot for "It Takes A Lot To Laugh, It Takes A Train To Cry" for some reason. It's just so awesome when he sings about the moon going down over the sea, and my gal coming after me... it just makes me smile.

I'm starting to get into some of his other work. I've listened to Desire once and it was ok. Needs more listens. I might put John Wesley Harding above Bringing It All Back Home, though I love that one, too.
Don't forget "Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues", "Ballad of a Thin Man" and "Queen Jane Approximately". It might very well be the best album ever released.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:30 AM

2,751 posts, read 5,361,986 times

YouTube - Blonde on Blonde - 07 Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat

One I don't think was mentioned yet, but one of my favorite Dylan songs.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:46 AM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
Bob Dylan is carved into Mt. Rushmore as the biggest figures of music in the last half century. He also is one of the most prolific. 47 years after his first lp came out, he can still p*s* off, challenge, embrace his listeners. He has been relevant in each of the last five decades, and he shows no signs of slowing down.

Blonde On Blonde is no doubt his best lp, though there are so many others I play a lot; Desire, Nashville Skyline, John Wesley Harding, Shot Of Love, Time Out Of Mind, Oh Mercy, Highway 61 Revisited, Blood On The Tracks, to name some.

He's done a few clunkers in his day, but comes back strong. He is very resilient. The first time I saw him was in early '74 with The Band at the Denver Colisseum. That was not just a concert, it was an EVENT. The people walking out of that arena were buzzing about it afterward. I frequented several record shops then, everyone I talked to was either there or ABSOLUTELY wished they were there. I remember buying the 2 lp live before The Flood just a few months afterwards. A great live recording. And then I saw him last summer of 07 at the Telluride town park. My Morning Jacket was the warm up band (good one too) so it was a crowd of mixed ages to be sure. The younger people loved him even though they weren't that familiar with his material. In concert Bob Dylan can still bring it.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 03-26-2009 at 12:25 PM..

Old 03-26-2009, 07:11 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,773,094 times
He's a folk singer, not a crooner. He never tried to pass himself off as a Sinatra or Sam Cooke. Great song writer. My favorite of his is "Don't Think Twice".

Old 03-26-2009, 09:32 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
I've probably seen Dylan six or seven times in concert and think he is fantastic live. Can see how some may be disappointed because of the way he abandons the traditional arrangements of his studio recordings in favor of putting a different spin on his classics which to me, keeps him fresh and worth seeing again and again.

Dylan was actually born in Duluth and moved to Hibbing when he was 6. I believe he didn't play his first concert in his hometown until 1998 (35 years after leaving for NY) and can't help but think the lengthy absence was more than coincidence. He came back the next year and I saw him play outside with the BoDeans and Paul Simon in the Duluth waterfront park which was the best concert I've seen of his. The fog was hanging off to our left over the water and an amusement park midway was set up to our right. He was more animated than at any concert I have seen before or since and was quite engaging with the crowd with his between songs banter. At one point he gestured up to the hospital on the hill above town and remarked that "I was born up on that hill". He also stated at one point that "my first girlfirend came from here, she was so conceited that I called her Mimi." Doesn't sound like much, but for Dylan he was a regular chatterbox.

One of the many highlights was the encore when Simon sang "Song of Silence" (Dylan played harmonica) and duets of "I Walk the Line/Blue Moon of Kentucky" and then "Knockin' on Heaven's Door". Still remember everyone leaving that night with a big smile on their face.

Old 03-28-2009, 07:56 AM

1,036 posts, read 1,820,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Dylan was actually born in Duluth
I wonder why Duluth being such a small town is mentioned often?

Just off the top of my head here are some references to Duluth:
1)
'Manhattan Murder Mystery' by Wood Allen

So, hey, kid, this is the apple. This is the town that never sleeps. That's why we don't live in Duluth. That, plus I don't know where Duluth is. Lucky me.

2)
'Lake Of Fire' by Meat Puppets

I knew a lady who came from Duluth
She got bit by a dog with a rabid tooth

Quote:
"Knockin' on Heaven's Door"
I watched the German movie named 'Knockin' on Heaven's Door' and at the end there was used the good song named 'Knockin' on Heaven's Door' too. It's sad but I dunno who performed this song. Was it whether Guns'n'Roses or Bob Dylan or somebody else?

Old 03-28-2009, 10:31 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashM View Post

I watched the German movie named 'Knockin' on Heaven's Door' and at the end there was used the good song named 'Knockin' on Heaven's Door' too. It's sad but I dunno who performed this song. Was it whether Guns'n'Roses or Bob Dylan or somebody else?
Looked this up and it was performed by 'Selig' tho I can't say I know much about German grunge bands it would be interesting to hear that version. Have a Dylan tribute CD done by various reggae artists that's pretty good.

If you like Knockin'... you might check out the movie "Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid". 1973 Sam Peckinpah movie that's very under-rated starring James Coburn and Kris Kristofferson. Dylan has a small role in it and also did the soundtrack which includes Knockin...during a memorable seen in where Slim Pickins' meets his fate. Look for the director's cut if possible.

Old 03-28-2009, 11:43 AM

1,036 posts, read 1,820,635 times
Quote:
Looked this up and it was performed by 'Selig'
That's the only version I ever heard
Now I know that it was 'Selig'. Thanks.

Quote:
If you like Knockin'... you might check out the movie "Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid". 1973 Sam Peckinpah movie that's very under-rated starring James Coburn and Kris Kristofferson. Dylan has a small role in it and also did the soundtrack which includes Knockin...during a memorable seen in where Slim Pickins' meets his fate. Look for the director's cut if possible.
Thanks for info.

Old 03-28-2009, 05:40 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island_OnThe_Land View Post
Dylan is CLEARLY one of the BEST songwriters in the last 100 years. Look at how many artists have covered him: Jimi Hendrix ("All Along the Watchtower"), The Byrds ("Mr. Tambourine Man"), Joan Baez, Elliot Smith, etc.

As for the voice, I'd put it this way: listen to some old Howln Wolf records. He was a gritty singer, not pretty by conventional standards. It's all about breaking new ground and authenticity, not trying to win some lame American idol contest. Lou Reed is not a particulary "gifted" singer but his legacy is huge: Velvet Underground, solo career, etc.

And of course, Dylan's LYRICS BLOW AWAY any other artist in the last 100 years. A sample from "It's Alright Ma (I'm only bleeding)" :

Disillusioned words like bullets bark
As human gods aim for their mark
Made everything from toy guns that spark
To flesh-colored Christs that glow in the dark
It's easy to see without looking too far
That not much
Is really sacred.

While preachers preach of evil fates
Teachers teach that knowledge waits
Can lead to hundred-dollar plates
Goodness hides behind its gates
But even the president of the United States
Sometimes must have
To stand naked.
Agree whole heartedly. His voice may not be for everyone (i like it), but he was a master at writing. Didnt realize how many things he wrote for other people. Listening to Shelter from the storm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music